Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US military could lead coup after 2024

Eldorado

A retired general has warned that the US military could lead a coup after the 2024 election if the results are unclear.

Paul Eaton, a retired US Army major general and an adviser to the progressive group VoteVets, told NPR earlier this week that “the real question is, does everybody understand who the duly elected president is? If that is not a clear cut understanding, that can infect the rank and file or at any level in the US military”.

MSN

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Just a guess, but I think if there is ever an "armed revolt" by civilians, the military will take it down in short order.  But what if the Rubs try to abolish free elections?  I am not so sure where the military would come down in that case.

Doug

I think there's a gross underestimation of what the average Soldier would do or not do. One retired General's opinion based off their political leanings shouldn't be cause for any alarm.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Ridiculous democrat fear mongering of the right - can tell the guy is a mouthpiece for left wing advocacy groups. Pretty much the only thing in the article I agree with: 

“The fact that we were caught completely unprepared – militarily, and from a policing function – on January 6, is incomprehensible to me,” he added

It's incomprehensible to me too! The failure was NOT due to lack of intel, the mainstream newspapers literally printed the blueprints of the rioters in the days before the protest. 

~ Regards, PA

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Paranoid Android said:

Ridiculous democrat fear mongering of the right - can tell the guy is a mouthpiece for left wing advocacy groups. Pretty much the only thing in the article I agree with: 

It's incomprehensible to me too! The failure was NOT due to lack of intel, the mainstream newspapers literally printed the blueprints of the rioters in the days before the protest. 

~ Regards, PA

Democrat fear-mongering for the right?  How do you get Democrats and the right together?

Again, I don't think there's anything to worry about in terms of an armed revolt.  But what the Rubs might try to do in the legislatures is another question.

Doug

10 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

Democrat fear-mongering for the right?  How do you get Democrats and the right together?

Specsavers time Doug, PA clearly says “fewrmonger of” not “fearmongering for”. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Doug1066 said:

Just a guess, but I think if there is ever an "armed revolt" by civilians, the military will take it down in short order.

Yeah, a couple of fools with their M4s vs M2 .50 Cal Humvees and some attack helis would definitely make for a short, but albeit entertaining, conflict.

Is Paul planning to make a run for office by chance :innocent: lol

there have been rumors of an armed civil war forever. personally, I don't see an armed war happening, not yet...it will be a war fought with 'gotcha' spiteful legislation that will only end up hurting everyone, in the long run. I'm only mid 30s, but I don't think I've ever seen such men and womenchildren in either party.

it's infesting this forum, as well, and I dare anyone to claim either side is more or less complicit. many people here that I used to respect, I simply can't anymore. you talk out both sides of your mouth, yet claim to be unbiased whilst surrounding yourself with nothing but your favorite echo chambers

sorry, just a little rant. honestly, I don't think there will be any sort of armed civil war because people won't look up from their phones or get off their damn couch 

• Like 4

Again, I don't think there's anything to worry about in terms of an armed revolt.  But what the Rubs might try to do in the legislatures is another question.

Doug

Fear-mongering OF the right, not FOR the right! As in, he's a left-wing mouthpiece that exists to promote left wing ideology and to demonise right wingers. 

You haven't got anything to worry about! The media is lying to you again, my friend, and Paul Eaton is one of those talking heads that is happy to throw mud at the "Rubs". 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Doug1066 said:

Democrat fear-mongering for the right? 

Not what he said. 

35 minutes ago, Paranoid Android said:

Fear-mongering OF the right, not FOR the right! As in, he's a left-wing mouthpiece that exists to promote left wing ideology and to demonise right wingers. 

You haven't got anything to worry about! The media is lying to you again, my friend, and Paul Eaton is one of those talking heads that is happy to throw mud at the "Rubs". 

That's what I said.  The military will take down any armed uprisings in, at most, days.  The thing to worry about is subversion.

Doug

13 minutes ago, susieice said:

Not what he said. 

I hope not, because it is very confusing otherwise; hence, the question mark.

Doug

That's what I said.  The military will take down any armed uprisings in, at most, days.  The thing to worry about is subversion.

Doug

Technically you didn't say it was "subversion", what you referred to was "what the Rubs might do in the legislature". You couched your argument in right vs left terminology and painted the right (the Rubs) as the bad guys who might try to subvert the government. My experience with American politics is that this is the realm of the left, and if any subversion is going to happen it's going to be by them. 

But I don't see either side really doing this, as I said it's fear mongering at this point from both sides. 

3 minutes ago, Paranoid Android said:

Technically you didn't say it was "subversion", what you referred to was "what the Rubs might do in the legislature".

Same thing.

Doug

4 minutes ago, Paranoid Android said:

My experience with American politics is that this is the realm of the left, and if any subversion is going to happen it's going to be by them. 

Maybe.  But Republican state legislatures have already passed several bills aimed at under-cutting Democratic voters.  The Dems haven't passed one.

Doug

1 minute ago, Doug1066 said:

Same thing.

Doug

Are you worried about what the Dems might do in the legislature? If so, then you should have written that. If not, then you are fear mongering just as much as Mr Eaton is! 

6 minutes ago, Paranoid Android said:

Are you worried about what the Dems might do in the legislature? If so, then you should have written that. If not, then you are fear mongering just as much as Mr Eaton is! 

Not worried about them Dems.  They don't have enough states to threaten democracy at the national level.  And besdies, they didn't do it when they had the chance.

Doug

I'll believe it when I see it. As former military enlisted, I'm pretty sure most enlisted soldiers are moral people who aren't going to just march out to shoot up rioters. At worst if there's confrontation a few shots might get fired, but I very much doubt wholesale open fire on US civilians. 

8 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

I'll believe it when I see it. As former military enlisted, I'm pretty sure most enlisted soldiers are moral people who aren't going to just march out to shoot up rioters. At worst if there's confrontation a few shots might get fired, but I very much doubt wholesale open fire on US civilians. 

You won't have to worry about the civilians.  They'll be too busy running the other way.

And if the National Guard is any indication, they'll shoot civilians with no problem.  They have on more than one occasion.  Army too.

Doug

18 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

Maybe.  But Republican state legislatures have already passed several bills aimed at under-cutting Democratic voters.  The Dems haven't passed one.

Doug

Without knowing what you are talking about I don't know if I agree or disagree with such a statement. I know several situations where the left has ACCUSED the right of undercutting democratic voters, but nothing different to what the left has been accused of doing. Accusations do not a conviction make!  

10 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

Not worried about them Dems.  They don't have enough states to threaten democracy at the national level.  And besdies, they didn't do it when they had the chance.

Doug

Then contrary to your earlier assertion, the two statements are not the same thing. You aren't worried about "subversion" as you claim, but more specifically "right wing subversion". Subtle difference but a difference nonetheless. And a crucial one. Which brings me back to my original point - you are being misled by media lies attempting to demonise the Republican party and conservatives/right wingers in general. 

22 minutes ago, Paranoid Android said:

Without knowing what you are talking about I don't know if I agree or disagree with such a statement. I know several situations where the left has ACCUSED the right of undercutting democratic voters, but nothing different to what the left has been accused of doing. Accusations do not a conviction make!  

You need to learn how to use a search engine if you're having trouble finding examples.

23 minutes ago, Paranoid Android said:

You aren't worried about "subversion" as you claim, but more specifically "right wing subversion".

The threat is coming from the right, not the left.

24 minutes ago, Paranoid Android said:

you are being misled by media lies attempting to demonise the Republican party and conservatives/right wingers in general. 

Trump managed to demonize them all by himself.  And he did it before he took office.

Doug

3 hours ago, Doug1066 said:

You won't have to worry about the civilians.  They'll be too busy running the other way.

And if the National Guard is any indication, they'll shoot civilians with no problem.  They have on more than one occasion.  Army too.

Doug

Please post the "more then occasion"? I'm assuming you're referring to Kent State to begin with.

Even if they do shoot, history has shown (Libya, Egypt) that the military usually sides with the citizens, given any real passing of time. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Paranoid Android said:

Ridiculous democrat fear mongering of the right - can tell the guy is a mouthpiece for left wing advocacy groups.

Does anybody with an opinion becomes a mouthpiece for a monolithic shadowy group?

• Haha 2

This discussion is a clear example of how sick the US democracy is.

You guys need to start voting for 3rd parties, this would be a massive eye opening for both parties, that and reform that stupidity that is winner take all in electoral voters for the collegial or wtf is called.

Edited by godnodog