Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Our live chat room is back!

Saru

There's not much going on in the chat room.

And I think that's because we cannot see if anyone else is already present before entering the room.

So we just enter, just to see so and so entered before, and then left because there was no one present.

And then we leave too.

I have had my own forum, a decade ago. I had installed a socalled 'shoutbox' at the bottom of my site. Only those who were members  ànd logged in, could read it, and subsequently join the discussion if they wanted to.

Is something like that possible here, @Saru

Edited by Abramelin
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

And I think that's because we cannot see if anyone else is already present before entering the room.

There's a user counter in the menu at the top of the page (desktop only). Currently no way to show it on mobile.

4 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

I have had my own forum, a decade ago. I had installed a socalled 'shoutbox' at the bottom of my site. Only those who were members  ànd logged in, could read it, and subsequently joined the discussion if they wanted to.

Is something like that possible here, @Saru

That's what this is, except I didn't think people would appreciate being automatically logged into it on every page and at all times.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Saru said:

That's what this is, except I didn't think people would appreciate being automatically logged into it on every page and at all times.

Sorry, I don't get that.

Let's say that there was a way to know that a number of people are already present before you enter the chatroom.

Is that possible?

4 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

Let's say that there was a way to know that a number of people are already present before you enter the chatroom.

Is that possible?

There is a number bubble that pops up if people are in chat. If there isn't anyone in chat, there is no bubble. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, rashore said:

There is a number bubble that pops up if people are in chat. If there isn't anyone in chat, there is no bubble. 

Heh, ok.

I never saw a 'bubble'.

Maybe you or Saru should post something like a manual?

Edited by Abramelin

31 minutes ago, Saru said:

466628841_Screenshot2022-01-02at21_15_44.thumb.png.53a43657550473caa741c3adba295f12.png

Ok, I got it:

Screenshot_20220102-224544_Firefox.jpg

Edited by Abramelin

Okay, so we can see how many people are in the chat room BUT . . . . we don't know who they are. :ph34r: Is it, perhaps, someone we'd rather avoid? :unsure2:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

Okay, so we can see how many people are in the chat room BUT . . . . we don't know who they are. :ph34r: Is it, perhaps, someone we'd rather avoid? :unsure2:

If you would rather not chat with someone, then don't. Just like threads, if one does not want to interact with another member, they don't have to.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

The chat room will be improved over time, an active users list for the chat is something I'll be looking in to.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Cool beans! I can so nothing again. XD

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 1/2/2022 at 1:40 PM, Abramelin said:

Heh, ok.

I never saw a 'bubble'.

Maybe you or Saru should post something like a manual?

Hi Rob

Because you are using a smart phone it doesn't show. When I logged in yesterday I saw a notification on the chat and thought it was a message so went in and didn't see anything then when I came out it showed there were 2 in the bubble and went back wondering what was that green bubble about then when I went back out figured that it was number of people.:lol:

• Thanks 1

Hello~! World Earth Dwellers~

• Like 1

On 1/3/2022 at 2:49 PM, rashore said:

If you would rather not chat with someone, then don't. Just like threads, if one does not want to interact with another member, they don't have to.

Might be a bit awkward, walking in when you see 1 active person in the chat room bubble, and find it's @acute you quickly try not to make eye contact and slip before he see's you :innocent:

• Haha 9

• 2 weeks later...

First I thought the solution to the Chat Room would be a Notification Bell.   A Notification Bell would allow members to both engage the chat room and engage the forums...but then again...how is that any different  than Personal Messaging?  It is really the same thing.

So, now I am thinking that the solution lies in the members ability to be in the room and on the forums at the same time.  Perhaps a notification in the bell we already have that says  @Whoever just mentioned you in the Chat Room.  You just click on the chatroom and re-engage the members in the room. 

But again, without the ability to be in the room and on the forums at the same time, I don't see how the chat room will ever work.

Edited by joc

12 hours ago, joc said:

First I thought the solution to the Chat Room would be a Notification Bell.   A Notification Bell would allow members to both engage the chat room and engage the forums...but then again...how is that any different  than Personal Messaging?  It is really the same thing.

So, now I am thinking that the solution lies in the members ability to be in the room and on the forums at the same time.  Perhaps a notification in the bell we already have that says  @Whoever just mentioned you in the Chat Room.  You just click on the chatroom and re-engage the members in the room. 

But again, without the ability to be in the room and on the forums at the same time, I don't see how the chat room will ever work.

As things stand, you can log into the chat room in one browser tab and then browse/post on the forums in another.

This is essentially how things worked when we had the chat room before - we never had members logged into the chat on every page.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 5 months later...

I wanted to say             "Poops I dont know how I got here" but didn't know how to even post it. Anyone know the ritual?

38 minutes ago, taniwha said:

I wanted to say             "Poops I dont know how I got here" but didn't know how to even post it. Anyone know the ritual?

Sorry, I'm not sure what you are asking.

42 minutes ago, taniwha said:

Last I checked you click on "enter chatroom".

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

Last I checked you click on "enter chatroom".

Ok I found I could type a comment but couldn't see how to post it?  Any way I found I could leave by clicking 'leave chatroom'

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Saru said:

Sorry, I'm not sure what you are asking.

Yes I don't see how to post a comment in the chatroom, if that's what you do in there?

5 minutes ago, taniwha said:

Yes I don't see how to post a comment in the chatroom, if that's what you do in there?

You just type in what you'd like to say and then press enter to submit it.

15 minutes ago, Saru said:

You just type in what you'd like to say and then press enter to submit it.

That's the problem there is no enter on my display.  Unless it's somewhere I'm not looking my phone must be out of date most likely. 

• The topic was locked