Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA sought advice from priests on impact of alien contact

UM-Bot

Well there was a news report that they had recovered off world vehicles so maybe they want to come out with this and an update? What a waste of government spending.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

6 minutes ago, CryptoGirl said:

Well there was a news report that they had recovered off world vehicles so maybe they want to come out with this and an update? What a waste of government spending.

What?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, UM-Bot said:

The space agency reportedly enlisted religious experts and practitioners to help predict how the world would react.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/354081/nasa-sought-advice-from-priests-on-impact-of-alien-contact

Priests have fkd with our minds for thousands of years.

So yes, they are the ones to ask for advise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

Priests have fkd with our minds for thousands of years.

So yes, they are the ones to ask for advise.

They could at least ask the Pope who all ready mentions he would accept as long as aliens except God, so free advice, cough 1.1 million dollars.

• Haha 2

Snowflakes everywhere.

If discovering alien life makes you question your faith, than I'll make Dr. Banner's words my own "Puny god"

You can ask a theologian any question, but don't expect an answer for at least several thousand years. ;) 

Edited by L.A.T.1961
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

You can ask a theologian any question, but don't expect an answer for at least several thousand years. ;) 

Maybe.  But in our current world, would any kind of proof of God be accepted?  That's a serious question.  What would it take to convince the average sceptic/cynic that a Creator God actually exists?  I think the last couple of generations have been conditioned to reject the idea of a divine intelligence but to accept an advanced technology from out side our time or space / dimension.  IOW, we are more apt to believe the possibility of advanced tech than of an advanced omniscient intelligence.  I think it gets down to mankind's innate pride in our own accomplishments.  Either way, I think the world at large will be FAR more likely to accept an alien visitation than to accept the idea that scripture was a message and that we were expected to conform to it IF we wanted a life less troubled.

The same group who will mock the idea of God, will joyfully accept the delusion that we were seeded onto this planet and that our "makers" are finally coming back for a visit.   

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, and then said:

Maybe.  But in our current world, would any kind of proof of God be accepted?  That's a serious question.  What would it take to convince the average sceptic/cynic that a Creator God actually exists?  I think the last couple of generations have been conditioned to reject the idea of a divine intelligence but to accept an advanced technology from out side our time or space / dimension.  IOW, we are more apt to believe the possibility of advanced tech than of an advanced omniscient intelligence.  I think it gets down to mankind's innate pride in our own accomplishments.  Either way, I think the world at large will be FAR more likely to accept an alien visitation than to accept the idea that scripture was a message and that we were expected to conform to it IF we wanted a life less troubled.

The same group who will mock the idea of God, will joyfully accept the delusion that we were seeded onto this planet and that our "makers" are finally coming back for a visit.   

If proof were found, that an intelligence was solely responsible for Man and the universe, then yes I think it would be fully acknowledged. But the proof would have to be based on science, not belief. 

It would be far easer to believe in ET if they arrived in orbit than an, as yet, unsubstantiated religion. 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, and then said:

Maybe.  But in our current world, would any kind of proof of God be accepted? That's a serious question. 

If it's undeniable I don't see why most people wouldn't accept it. 

What would it take to convince the average sceptic/cynic that a Creator God actually exists? 

I my case the answer would be that I don't know.

I think the last couple of generations have been conditioned to reject the idea of a divine intelligence but to accept an advanced technology from out side our time or space / dimension. 

I think that most people don't spend much time thinking about aliens and other dimensions in the first place. 

IOW, we are more apt to believe the possibility of advanced tech than of an advanced omniscient intelligence. 

We know for a fact that advanced technology exists, unlike an advanced omnicient intelligence. 

I think it gets down to mankind's innate pride in our own accomplishments. 

Whats wrong with that ?

Either way, I think the world at large will be FAR more likely to accept an alien visitation than to accept the idea that scripture was a message and that we were expected to conform to it IF we wanted a life less troubled.

Maybe it would be easier to believe scripture if it was more clear and accurate, instead of requiring priests and apologists to interpret it. Speaking of that, it would be more easy to accept it, if those priests and apologists atleast agreed with eachother as to what it means. 

How many people actually believe that ?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

If it's undeniable I don't see why most people wouldn't accept it. 

Maybe I should have explained it in more detail.  Let's say there is an event that seems to defy our known experience to such a degree that it seems like "magic".  An entity proclaims itself to be the source of that phenomenon and DEMANDS worship or obedience to it or there will be negative consequences.  How would people react then?  

19 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

How many people actually believe that ?

I don't have a number.  How many people believe in UFOs being evidence of extraterrestrial intelligence?  

21 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

I think that most people don't spend much time thinking about aliens and other dimensions in the first place.

I thought this thread was predicated on precisely that situation.  Just to be clear, if I saw an entity, for lack of a better descriptor, appear from the sky and begin to communicate with people I believe those people would be thrilled and amazed but would not accept that entity as God.  

6 minutes ago, and then said:

Maybe I should have explained it in more detail.  Let's say there is an event that seems to defy our known experience to such a degree that it seems like "magic".  An entity proclaims itself to be the source of that phenomenon and DEMANDS worship or obedience to it or there will be negative consequences.  How would people react then?  

I don't know how people would respond.

On the other hand someone that demands worship and threatens negative consequences if you don't, sounds awfully familiar.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, and then said:

I thought this thread was predicated on precisely that situation.  Just to be clear, if I saw an entity, for lack of a better descriptor, appear from the sky and begin to communicate with people I believe those people would be thrilled and amazed but would not accept that entity as God.  

It's a completely hyphothetical situation, so there is no way of knowing how people would react to that if it actually happened.

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, and then said:

I don't have a number.  How many people believe in UFOs being evidence of extraterrestrial intelligence?  

That wasn't the question. This is what I responed to:

1 hour ago, and then said:

People "who will mock the idea of God, will joyfully accept the delusion that we were seeded onto this planet and that our "makers" are finally coming back for a visit." is likely to be a very small group.

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy

22 hours ago, and then said:

What would it take to convince the average sceptic/cynic that a Creator God actually exists?

That this entity actually creates something in front of our eyes, recording cameras present?

Raise the dead? And I mean REALLY dead? Or give some war veteran his lost arm or leg back?

Make a tornado/taifun disappear while it's at its peak?

I can think of a lot more.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, and then said:

Maybe.  But in our current world, would any kind of proof of God be accepted?  That's a serious question.  I think the last couple of generations have been conditioned to reject the idea of a divine intelligence but to accept an advanced technology from out side our time or space / dimension. 

The last couple of generations have not been conditioned but they build their worldview based on real facts and not on a 2k years old fairy tale (RCC) that was designed for the reason of oppression and exploitation. Thus, an acceptance of the possibility of advanced (and/or plain stupid) alien life forms out there is based on given probabilities and beyond.

Why do you call them sceptic/cynic?

IOW, we are more apt to believe the possibility of advanced tech than of an advanced omniscient intelligence. 

Yes, because we are doing advanced tech and its likely that there is much more advanced tech out there. There is no need for such thing as an omniscient intelligence, its a dream only.

Ok, then lets wait for Mr. God. BTW and eg.: why doesnt he visited Auschwitz when the daily trains arrived there? Was he at a ship christening in the NGC 1297 system or some like that?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 1/2/2022 at 1:12 PM, and then said:

Maybe.  But in our current world, would any kind of proof of God be accepted?  That's a serious question.  What would it take to convince the average sceptic/cynic that a Creator God actually exists?

Easy, biblical miracles. They happened all the time back in the old days so what's stopping them or events of similar magnitudes from happening now? Don't tell me something as powerful and omnipotent as "God" has been stopped by the advent of video recording technology and critical thinking!

• Like 1

On 1/2/2022 at 1:12 PM, and then said:

Either way, I think the world at large will be FAR more likely to accept an alien visitation than to accept the idea that scripture was a message and that we were expected to conform to it IF we wanted a life less troubled.

Be honest with yourself. Are you conforming to the scripture or making the scripture conform to your views on life? That is, do you prefer certain interpretations of the scripture over others if it's in your benefit? The often vague wording, context, translation issues, etc, provided in scripture as well as the inability for legitimate verification makes for a lot of fun when it comes to deciding on the meaning of the content. 

On 1/2/2022 at 2:20 PM, and then said:

You sound like you're projecting. Is fear of negative consequences one of the reasons why you worship/believe in "God?"

If an entitity such as you describe were to show up, they would be able to reveal a lot more for us to believe that we should listen to what it says. Much more than what "God" has supposedly provided for us to have a concrete reason to believe in "Him." If an entity does something as "simple" as making a limb regrow in front of our eyes, that's already much more than what "God" has done in terms of proof for us modern day people. 

• Like 3

On 1/2/2022 at 5:31 PM, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

I don't know how people would respond.

On the other hand someone that demands worship and threatens negative consequences if you don't, sounds awfully familiar.

^ yep :yes: And many a knee stays bent with head down and eye blind to that someone.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Abramelin said:

That this entity actually creates something in front of our eyes, recording cameras present?

Raise the dead? And I mean REALLY dead? Or give some war veteran his lost arm or leg back?

Make a tornado/taifun disappear while it's at its peak?

I can think of a lot more.

Intriguing,

Because believers say "God" could do anything all that included but but but sci-fi has shown me aliens as in not "God" of christian etc beliefs could also do all that and more.

So depending on their technology aliens could very well be "God" and von weird hair spray tan guy was right.