Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The casimir effect, could it be a possible solution for the loch ness mystery?

Dradan

It seems like there's a relatively new *snip*, which could explain some of the sightings in loch ness. The bottom of loch ness is filled with a mineral called quartz. The theory is, that the large amount of quartz found at the bottom of loch ness creates an electromagnetic field, causing a disturbance at the surface of the lake, which could then be misidentified as a sighting. Most of the sightings seems to be somewhat explainable, such as schools of fish or boat waves, but some of the sightings are a bit tougher to explain, so could this possibly be a solution?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• The title was changed to The casimir effect, could it be a possible solution for the loch ness mystery?

Well. Hi.

But the Casimir effect occurs at VERY close distances, and in a vacuum.

FAR closer than what you describe so, no, what you suggest simply is not attributable to the Casimir effect.

Have a good read on Wiki sometime...

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 4

I remember the 'methan gas' theory. There are reportedly a sources of the methane gas at the bottom of Loch Ness. Occasionally, the methane gas bubbles penetrate from the bottom of the lake to the surface. And are responsible for some of the 'monster' sightings.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, pallidin said:

Well. Hi.

But the Casimir effect occurs at VERY close distances, and in a vacuum.

FAR closer than what you describe so, no, what you suggest simply is not attributable to the Casimir effect.

Have a good read on Wiki sometime...

So im not sure why you are trying to be a smartass, but this is not my suggestion. It's a suggestion from the documentary that i linked to, if you would watch it first before you post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Dradan said:

So im not sure why you are trying to be a smartass, but this is not my suggestion. It's a suggestion from the documentary that i linked to, if you would watch it first before you post.

You buried the lead. Your video is linked from a single word in your OP. Easy to miss, even if someone wanted to see it.

I totally agree with @pallidin.
The Casimir effect happens in vacuums only. It is also called quantum fluctuation, and most commonly happens in (seemingly) empty space. Never in a lake.

If you want people to watch your video, make it more visible and preferably inform how long it is and other relevant details.

Edited by zep73
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Dradan said:

I didnt take it as being a smartass just explaining why a theory didnt wash, i learned something from it.

Now If you want to talk about lake monster sightings tell me this,

Why isnt there even one good picture or video why hasnt even one carcass washed up to be studied,  then explain how the lake can support a large creature in a number great enough to be a breeding population with basically zero supporting evidence.

• Like 4

On 1/3/2022 at 3:32 AM, zep73 said:

You buried the lead. Your video is linked from a single word in your OP. Easy to miss, even if someone wanted to see it.

I totally agree with @pallidin.
The Casimir effect happens in vacuums only. It is also called quantum fluctuation, and most commonly happens in (seemingly) empty space. Never in a lake.

If you want people to watch your video, make it more visible and preferably inform how long it is and other relevant details.

It's not really more difficult than clicking on the word to open the video, watch it and then make your assumptions about it. It seems to me that you are just being a bit childish by trying to create problems in people's threads. It's not really worth it creating a thread, if this is the responses you get.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Dradan said:

It's not really more difficult than clicking on the word to open the video, watch it and then make your assumptions about it. It seems to me that you are just being a bit childish by trying to create problems in people's threads. It's not really worth it creating a thread, if this is the responses you get.

I don't know if you're gonna live forever, but I'm not. My time is precious.
If someone wants to show me something, they better explain to me what it's about, if it's reliable, good quality, and how much time it's gonna cost me.
There are literally billions of pages on the internet who wants our attention, and if we're gonna watch them all, we're gonna be 6 feet under long before we're half way through them.

If you want attention, earn it!

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Dradan said:

It's not really more difficult than clicking on the word to open the video, watch it and then make your assumptions about it.

Your link is copyrighted and unavailable, to me at least. I'm in America. 

44 minutes ago, Dradan said:

It seems to me that you are just being a bit childish by trying to create problems in people's threads.

How is explaining the flaws in the OP childish and creating problems?

This is a discussion forum.

If you want to discuss the OP, it would help if you explained, in your own words, what the Casimir Effect is and how it's a viable explanation of sightings of a giant creature in the lake.

You touched on it in the OP, but it doesn't really follow.

There's quartz in the lake so it creates illusuary phenomena on the surface that people interpret as a creature swimming around?

• Like 3

On 1/3/2022 at 12:36 AM, Dradan said:

It seems like there's a relatively new *snip*, which could explain some of the sightings in loch ness. The bottom of loch ness is filled with a mineral called quartz. The theory is, that the large amount of quartz found at the bottom of loch ness creates an electromagnetic field, causing a disturbance at the surface of the lake, which could then be misidentified as a sighting. Most of the sightings seems to be somewhat explainable, such as schools of fish or boat waves, but some of the sightings are a bit tougher to explain, so could this possibly be a solution?

The "In Search Of" series is designed to be long on entertainment and short on science.

The lake bottom is granite (https://southlochnessheritage.co.uk/geology-of-glen-mor/) and there's no such thing as "lots of quartz" lying around at the bottom.  It's been rather well scoured by glaciers.  So the first part is unworkable.

Boatloads of quartz don't actually generate electromagnetic fields.  In general, quartz found in nature is usually very impure and unsuitable for most applications involving electromagnetism.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sorry, but the video you provided is indeed copyright protected. I've removed it for this. Do you have other source materials for this theory that aren't copyright protected that you could add for this topic? I've looked for an alternative and not turned anything up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, rashore said:

I've looked for an alternative and not turned anything up. 

I found this blog post which mentions the concept.

Turns out it stems from Ancient Aliens...

http://lochnessmystery.blogspot.com/2016/10/is-loch-ness-monster-uso.html?m=1

"Finally, Giorgio chatted with a Steve Kluid and Will Amidon on the matter of granite, quartz and energy again. That led to a Dr. John Brandenburg and his talk about the Casimir Effect and traversible wormholes created by EM fields around quartz crystals seemingly accentuated by the trench topology of such cryptid lakes."

Edited by onlookerofmayhem
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

I found this blog post which mentions the concept.

Turns out it stems from Ancient Aliens...

http://lochnessmystery.blogspot.com/2016/10/is-loch-ness-monster-uso.html?m=1

"Finally, Giorgio chatted with a Steve Kluid and Will Amidon on the matter of granite, quartz and energy again. That led to a Dr. John Brandenburg and his talk about the Casimir Effect and traversible wormholes created by EM fields around quartz crystals seemingly accentuated by the trench topology of such cryptid lakes."

Yeah. That's typical of the real hot mess that this kind of show makes with data, anecdotes, and bizarre links.  A little investigation on Brandenberg doesn't give me a lot of confidence in him.   https://secretspaceprogram.org/media/dr-john-brandenburg/

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2022 at 9:47 PM, zep73 said:

I don't know if you're gonna live forever, but I'm not. My time is precious.
If someone wants to show me something, they better explain to me what it's about, if it's reliable, good quality, and how much time it's gonna cost me.
There are literally billions of pages on the internet who wants our attention, and if we're gonna watch them all, we're gonna be 6 feet under long before we're half way through them.

If you want attention, earn it!

What's your problem? I made a perfectly clickable link in my post. Also, i didn't say that it was my suggestion anywhere in this thread, so im not sure what @pallidin is talking about.

On 1/6/2022 at 10:24 PM, rashore said:

Sorry, but the video you provided is indeed copyright protected. I've removed it for this. Do you have other source materials for this theory that aren't copyright protected that you could add for this topic? I've looked for an alternative and not turned anything up. 

Yes, but i would rather not waste anymore time with this thread.

2 hours ago, Dradan said:

What's your problem? I made a perfectly clickable link in my post. Also, i didn't say that it was my suggestion anywhere in this thread, so im not sure what @pallidin is talking about.

Yes, but i would rather not waste anymore time with this thread.

Well, you did provide a copyrighted link, not perfectly clickable. It had to be removed for rules violation. It was rather nice of another member to provide further information. But thanks for coming back to tell us you won't be coming back to the thread.

• Like 1

I know people say they are not coming back but they often do.

So Dradan here is the link to the wikipedia page about the Casimir effect

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casimir_effect

You should expect that since this is a quantum effect that it is an effect that is observable only on small objects and small distances.

Because the strength of the force falls off rapidly with distance, it is measurable only when the distance between the objects is extremely small. On a submicron scale, this force becomes so strong that it becomes the dominant force between uncharged conductors. In fact, at separations of 10 nm – about 100 times the typical size of an atom – the Casimir effect produces the equivalent of about 1 atmosphere of pressure (the precise value depending on surface geometry and other factors).

And there we are. Whatever Casimir effect is happening at the bottom of the lake  is not effecting what is at the top of the lake.

In a more general sense it is useful to apply critical thinking to any problem. Check what is stated. Don't assume anything is correct, even in a science journal or show. Mistakes are made where people are trying to be correct. Useless gibberish is made by people pretending to be scientific. In this case it was made up junk trying to trick people.

• Like 4

Giant Squid exist in the North Sea, around the Shetland Islands, and the Faroe Islands.

Nessie sightings could be caused by them getting lost.

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

Giant Squid exist in the North Sea, around the Shetland Islands, and the Faroe Islands.

Nessie sightings could be caused by them getting lost.

So how do they get to the lake? Do they take the bus?

Edited by zep73
  • Haha 1