Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

You Won’t Want To Visit The Notorious Union Cemetery In New Jersey Alone Or After Dark


rashore
 Share

Recommended Posts

Posted (IP: Staff) ·
Quote

Let’s face it: Cemeteries, in general, are a bit creepy. While it’s wonderful to be able to visit our loved ones who have passed on, they’re generally a bit spooky. But some cemeteries are scarier than others — like Union Cemetery in Hackettstown, New Jersey, which is rumored to be haunted by a murdered maid.

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/new-jersey/union-cemetery-tillies-grave-ghost-stories-nj/

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Wouldnt bother me, ive fallen asleep in a graveyard its peaceful not scary.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/19/2022 at 12:20 PM, the13bats said:

Wouldnt bother me, ive fallen asleep in a graveyard its peaceful not scary.

Yes, but people like you are the reason why normal people are scared of graveyards :D 

Because you fell asleep there, but you also woke up at some point and someone's still telling a story of seeing a ghost or a zombie rising up from their grave, pale, stumbling, with dark bags under eyes...  

 

Cemetery in my home town was known as a place for... how to call it politely? ... romantic encounters. Certainly there was plenty of flowers and candle light :lol:  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Helen of Annoy said:

Yes, but people like you are the reason why normal people are scared of graveyards :D 

Because you fell asleep there, but you also woke up at some point and someone's still telling a story of seeing a ghost or a zombie rising up from their grave, pale, stumbling, with dark bags under eyes...  

 

Cemetery in my home town was known as a place for... how to call it politely? ... romantic encounters. Certainly there was plenty of flowers and candle light :lol:  

It was a weird time, my gmother who raised me had just pasted i would go be with her, they had a gazebo and i would lay back and crash the grounds keeper got to know me and didnt care but he said normally that did have visiting hours,

I dont recall anyone ever seeing me in fact i dont recall anyone else there at night,  but yeah, im 6 ft 2 long hair fair complicated, i was in the band club music biz punk, goth, rock, dress in black so i likely would have given a person the creeps.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, the13bats said:

It was a weird time, my gmother who raised me had just pasted i would go be with her, they had a gazebo and i would lay back and crash the grounds keeper got to know me and didnt care but he said normally that did have visiting hours,

I dont recall anyone ever seeing me in fact i dont recall anyone else there at night,  but yeah, im 6 ft 2 long hair fair complicated, i was in the band club music biz punk, goth, rock, dress in black so i likely would have given a person the creeps.

That's so sad but so nice. 

I love my grandma too and I still miss her very much. Before the headstone was finished there was just a simple, old-fashioned wooden cross at her grave. I'd come to her grave in search of the feeling of her presence and I'd touch that cross and the structure of wood would remind me of her old hands. 

But I never felt her presence there. I would play with my great-grandmother's ghost in the cemetery, though, as a small child. Someone invisible would tickle me and talk to me, my mother and grandmother saw that each time they'd take me to great-grandmother's grave. I had no invisible friends, I did that only at great-grandmother's grave. Probably the reason why I love cemeteries, though I don't remember these events, I was too young. 

 

So I do believe in phenomenon called ghosts, but I don't think cemeteries are necessarily the places where chances of experiencing that phenomenon are much higher. The chances of thinking someone experienced it are higher, I mean, of course they are.  

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have never spent time in a graveyard at night, so I couldn’t say what vibes I might get. Though I suspect it would be as uneventful as any other place. 
 

There is a small graveyard in town with really old graves. Late 1700’s to early 1800’s. I use to love looking at the graves. Especially the ones so old you could hardly make out the carvings on the stones. I used to wonder what it was like in their time, living in the same area. those types of graveyards set my imagination on fire. 
 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As you guys know i dont believe in ghosts i experenced nothing at the cemetery i just went there because at the time i needed a safe place and gma was there,

If ghosts were real i would think they wouldnt follow their remains but be where they departed the body nursing homes hospice, hospitals etc, i firmly believe if ghosts were real we would have evidence

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I couldn’t really say if ghosts exist. At least in the way we perceive them. That they are people who have died and stayed here for whatever reason. 
 

I have no choice but to believe there is something though. Something that is conscious, and has the ability to interact with us with intelligence. I have no idea what that something is, or what it’s motivation is to interact with us, but I know for a fact it/they do. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One night many years ago I had to walk home, and I went through the town cemetery. Sat down by a grave and rested for a bit.

It was the most peaceful and serene nighttime walk I've ever had.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I used to walk through a cemetery at night walking home from town to my sisters always seemed quieter than the surrounding area, like a hush fell over you once you stepped through the gates, a mixture of calming and a little eerie.  Also the article got her age wrong she was 19 not 18.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

I couldn’t really say if ghosts exist. At least in the way we perceive them. That they are people who have died and stayed here for whatever reason. 
 

I have no choice but to believe there is something though. Something that is conscious, and has the ability to interact with us with intelligence. I have no idea what that something is, or what it’s motivation is to interact with us, but I know for a fact it/they do. 

If ghosts were real which i dont think they are it sure does suck to be one, the rules and limitations they have to abide by are really hellish. To be trapped like that might just be a hell.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, the13bats said:

If ghosts were real which i dont think they are it sure does suck to be one, the rules and limitations they have to abide by are really hellish. To be trapped like that might just be a hell.

Putting down the sword for a sec, lol

I really couldn't say what its like to be a ghost. From the many many stories I've heard, combined with personal experiences, a lot of them seem very unhappy, so you could certainly be right about that. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Putting down the sword for a sec, lol

I really couldn't say what its like to be a ghost. From the many many stories I've heard, combined with personal experiences, a lot of them seem very unhappy, so you could certainly be right about that. 

Okay,

Lets look at something discussed on here if ghosts are real why not jot down a note to the one they are haunting and the reasons from believers are about things like motor skills or the ability to knock things off shelves, scratch or flick people , tickle them, etc isnt as hard as making a note i find that hogwash but to speculate, perhaps ghosts do not have much consciousness, perhaps their so called minds are now like a baby or mentally disabled, never has a ghost done anything to allow a living person to prove it was other side interventions, 

Again not the way i would want to spend eternity

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I summoned up a few ghost in a cemetery before. I can not claim it was a 100% valid experience of the ghostly kind, though it was interesting.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I summoned up a few ghost in a cemetery before. I can not claim it was a 100% valid experience of the ghostly kind, though it was interesting.

Curious if not a "valid experience" what other things would you consider it to be?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm sure any answer/explanation I might give would be the wrong one.

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I summoned up a few ghost in a cemetery before. I can not claim it was a 100% valid experience of the ghostly kind, though it was interesting.

Do tell brother X

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Do tell brother X

I've told it before. Basically used a custom evocation sigil I drew on the ground. Ask the dead to show themselves (it was near midnight on Halloween). Proceeded to walk the graveyard. Saw what appeared to be a 8 or 10 foot tall slenderman type of figure, a black cat (which might have been real) and a very big black dog that started running then just vanished.  Broke the sigil then left. 

Ain't asking for validation, not offering proof and don't care about useless opinion. It was an experience. That. Is. All.

Edited by XenoFish
Spelling
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I've told it before. Basically used a custom evocation sigil I drew on the ground. Ask the dead to show themselves (it was near midnight on Halloween). Proceeded to walk the graveyard. Saw what appeared to be a 8 or 10 foot tall slenderman type of figure, a black cat (which might have been real) and a very big black dog that started running then just vanished.  Broke the sigil then left. 

Ain't asking for validation, not offering proof and don't care about useless opinion. It was an experience. That. Is. All.

I wont validate a "story" and we know you cant offer what you dont have so i will post my useless opinion.....

giphy.webp

So it just as easy or more likely been all in your mind.

But wait you didnt answer my question what you think it was.

I was trying to be sincere with you and was and still curious what your think it was.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, the13bats said:

Okay,

Lets look at something discussed on here if ghosts are real why not jot down a note to the one they are haunting and the reasons from believers are about things like motor skills or the ability to knock things off shelves, scratch or flick people , tickle them, etc isnt as hard as making a note i find that hogwash but to speculate, perhaps ghosts do not have much consciousness, perhaps their so called minds are now like a baby or mentally disabled, never has a ghost done anything to allow a living person to prove it was other side interventions, 

Again not the way i would want to spend eternity

 

I really have no idea. I couldn’t say what it’s like to be a ghost. What their motivations are. What their abilities might be, or why they do or don’t certain things. 
 

As far as it being a terrible existence, maybe, maybe not. Maybe they are just people, same as us. Some happy, some sad, some angry, ect. Maybe there is a whole class of ghosts who love just flying around the world seeing it’s wonders. Ghost who don’t see a need to interact with people. Maybe there’s another class of ghosts who just occasionally like to mess with people. Or another who are so angry and miserable they want to take it out on people when ever they can. 
 

I mean like you said, assuming ghosts are real. From our extremely limited perspective, I can’t conclude anything. I certainly can’t use the rationale to convince myself that the idea of ghosts doesn’t make sense. Just because they might not behave or do things in a way that makes sense to me. 
 

Just my two cents 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I've told it before. Basically used a custom evocation sigil I drew on the ground. Ask the dead to show themselves (it was near midnight on Halloween). Proceeded to walk the graveyard. Saw what appeared to be a 8 or 10 foot tall slenderman type of figure, a black cat (which might have been real) and a very big black dog that started running then just vanished.  Broke the sigil then left. 

Ain't asking for validation, not offering proof and don't care about useless opinion. It was an experience. That. Is. All.

Sorry about the useless opinion lol, but that’s an awesome experience. 
 

edit to add what were  you thinking at the time? I would have been, hmm, I really don’t know I guess, but I gotta imagine it was a hell of an adrenaline rush. 

Edited by preacherman76
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

I really have no idea. I couldn’t say what it’s like to be a ghost. What their motivations are. What their abilities might be, or why they do or don’t certain things. 
 

As far as it being a terrible existence, maybe, maybe not. Maybe they are just people, same as us. Some happy, some sad, some angry, ect. Maybe there is a whole class of ghosts who love just flying around the world seeing it’s wonders. Ghost who don’t see a need to interact with people. Maybe there’s another class of ghosts who just occasionally like to mess with people. Or another who are so angry and miserable they want to take it out on people when ever they can. 
 

I mean like you said, assuming ghosts are real. From our extremely limited perspective, I can’t conclude anything. I certainly can’t use the rationale to convince myself that the idea of ghosts doesn’t make sense. Just because they might not behave or do things in a way that makes sense to me. 
 

Just my two cents 

Thats just it no one not even those cheesedick profiteers who make big money off it would know because and you know this is my hang up we have zero evidence ghosts exist,

And the countless stories for centuries if even 1% were real events then we should have evidence and we still do not.

Until im shown something to convince me otherwise i will believe ghosts are a thumbs up to an afterlife for those scared death is the end.

And no, i do not like how i see it so someone prove to me ghosts are real i dont need 999 happy haunts just one will do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Thats just it no one not even those cheesedick profiteers who make big money off it would know because and you know this is my hang up we have zero evidence ghosts exist,

And the countless stories for centuries if even 1% were real events then we should have evidence and we still do not.

Until im shown something to convince me otherwise i will believe ghosts are a thumbs up to an afterlife for those scared death is the end.

And no, i do not like how i see it so someone prove to me ghosts are real i dont need 999 happy haunts just one will do.

I can dig it. I typically don’t believe in things I haven’t experienced either. At least when it comes to the paranormal. 
 

Just know though that there is a whole other type of person. One that’s overlooked and even denied outright here often. Those of us who aren’t afraid of death, heck I spend a good chunk of my life really looking forward to it. Who wouldn’t have cared about these subjects at all, but because of an experience are forced to recognize that these things may be possible. Even if we don’t understand exactly who or what gave us that experience. 
 

To me, I have no doubt whatsoever that something exists, and we haven’t figured out what it is. But it’s heavy **** man. 
 

I get that does nothing for anyone else’s beliefs. But to us, it’s powerful. Worth defending, or at least talking about 

Edited by preacherman76
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Sorry about the useless opinion lol, but that’s an awesome experience. 
 

edit to add what were  you thinking at the time? I would have been, hmm, I really don’t know I guess, but I gotta imagine it was a hell of an adrenaline rush. 

I was more fascinated by the results. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.