Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ways the internet era has changed British English

Eldorado

The dramatic changes in technology over the past 20 or so years, from the internet to the smartphone and digital assistants like Alexa, have made communication more accessible than ever before. We have created an online world where we post, share, comment, express views and seek information as well as relationships. These changes have also transformed the language we use.

Our new study based on the British National Corpus 2014 (BNC2014) – a 100 million-word sample of current language – shows us just how language has changed in the internet era. This data was contrasted with the original British National Corpus 1994 (BNC1994) – a comparable data set which samples British English from the early 1990s.

https://theconversation.com/five-ways-the-internet-era-has-changed-british-english-new-research-172432?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Mobile phones have killed socializing, killed conversation... I hate to see friends/couples out together and watch them on their phones. I have no idea what the hell people write in text language/textspeak or what ever it is called.

Social networks, whilst can be good, I see more toxic posts, misinformation, and so much negativity, the reason I left them all. I just have a new Twitter account now, and filter out the news I want to see.

I guess it is a sign of the times, but not for me.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 1/7/2022 at 3:59 AM, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

Mobile phones have killed socializing, killed conversation... I hate to see friends/couples out together and watch them on their phones. I have no idea what the hell people write in text language/textspeak or what ever it is called.

Social networks, whilst can be good, I see more toxic posts, misinformation, and so much negativity, the reason I left them all. I just have a new Twitter account now, and filter out the news I want to see.

I guess it is a sign of the times, but not for me.

The whole mobile phones killed socializing is an old people tropism mate.

1678461416_folksdontconnectanymore.jpg.3b989272691c06d829d3caa9d945363d.jpg

Folks connect when they connect.  Mostly their circles are small and it's always been this way.

• Like 2

I connect more frequently and readily than I used to, particularly with friends and family who've moved to other countries, and other states within my own country, due to mobile connectivity. 

I'd argue this has increased our connectivity not diminished.

Of course, like any tool, it's effectiveness is determined by how one uses it and one's abilities with it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/8/2022 at 5:10 PM, quiXilver said:

The whole mobile phones killed socializing is an old people tropism mate.

1678461416_folksdontconnectanymore.jpg.3b989272691c06d829d3caa9d945363d.jpg

Folks connect when they connect.  Mostly their circles are small and it's always been this way.

"Keeping to yourself" on public transportation (an unwritten rule) is very different from meeting up with a friend or significant other, and spending half the time on your phone.

Edited by acute
  • Like 1