Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pope Francis says choosing pets over kids is selfish

Eldorado

10 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

One has to admire how dedicated rescuers are to their mission of helping abandoned and neglected animals.

It is a beautiful thing to see humans being empathetic, compassionate and kind. 

:nw:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Sherapy said:

The wealthy folks I know not only rescue animals and get them the best care and training, but they also do so much for children who need it too. For ex: A dear friend of mine rescued a lab from Mexico who was trying to survive on rocks and broke all her teeth and had serious behavioral issues from the life she lived while abandoned and she hired the best trainer and paid a lot of money to get the dogs teeth fixed too. In my mind, she is an Angel. She also does so much for kids from broken homes and donates her time and money as a foster care mother. 

Another ex: We rescued a little maltipoo who was dumped on-the side of the road to fend for himself, he was very sick and traumatized when we got him. We did all we could to nurse him back to heath and he is our sweet boy, whom we love as much as our children and to see him so happy and safe means a lot to us, We do shower him with attention and stuff, including taking him on vacation with us, but we have the money to do so. 

What disturbs me is not that folks spend money on their dogs or kids, but that anyone would even conceive of let alone harm an animal or a child or judge one better or more preferable than the other. 

The Pope is short sighted and shallow on this topic, kids or pets give the opportunity to nurture empathy, compassion and kindness in humans. There is nothing selfish about choosing to care for pets or kids. Sheesh. 

54F7F203-E067-492A-920D-1BDDEF7B887E.jpeg

The Catholic Church is the most powerful Christian Religious organization there is. But do to their polices and all that power they have lost sight of the teachings of their own religion, power corrupts absolutely and the Catholic Church is a very visible example of this. Now I have no, issues with any religion except when it perverts the very religious practices it is based upon and harms the very people it was originally designed to give comfort to and protect. Being raised Catholic, being Baptized and given a godfather and taking my first communion as a Catholic I had no idea what was going on behind closed doors. However that had nothing to do with turning my back upon that religion, throughout my life when I finally walked away at 14 I did so because the holy spirit never entered me, so I could no longer believe in any form of the Christian faith.

Now knowing what I know about the Catholic Church and the Popes who has hidden and turned a blind eye to the abuse I am glad I made the decision I made. I thinks it’s wonderful what you have done for so many animals, to be honest I have more love and respect for animals than most human beings. They are loyal, loving, forgiving and wonderful companions who deserve to be protected and treated like a family member because in reality they are. Much respect to you and your husband for doing what you do because you deserve it, and I Mean that sincerely. Also because your compassion and kindness reflects directly in the way you treat others here even when some do not deserve it. Like I have said many times I wish I had your patience because that gift I do not possess, but I am learning by reading your posts every day, and maybe there is still some hope for me yet!

Thanks for being you my dear friend and also thanks for putting up with this crabby old soldier and I mean that very sincerely!:tu:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

The Catholic Church is the most powerful Christian Religious organization there is. But do to their polices and all that power they have lost sight of the teachings of their own religion, power corrupts absolutely and the Catholic Church is a very visible example of this. Now I have no, issues with any religion except when it perverts the very religious practices it is based upon and harms the very people it was originally designed to give comfort to and protect. Being raised Catholic, being Baptized and given a godfather and taking my first communion as a Catholic I had no idea what was going on behind closed doors. However that had nothing to do with turning my back upon that religion, throughout my life when I finally walked away at 14 I did so because the holy spirit never entered me, so I could no longer believe in any form of the Christian faith.

Now knowing what I know about the Catholic Church and the Popes who has hidden and turned a blind eye to the abuse I am glad I made the decision I made. I thinks it’s wonderful what you have done for so many animals, to be honest I have more love and respect for animals than most human beings. They are loyal, loving, forgiving and wonderful companions who deserve to be protected and treated like a family member because in reality they are. Much respect to you and your husband for doing what you do because you deserve it, and I Mean that sincerely. Also because your compassion and kindness reflects directly in the way you treat others here even when some do not deserve it. Like I have said many times I wish I had your patience because that gift I do not possess, but I am learning by reading your posts every day, and maybe there is still some hope for me yet!

Thanks for being you my dear friend and also thanks for putting up with this crabby old soldier and I mean that very sincerely!:tu:

Awww, thank you Craig for your kind words. I truly am inspired by you, you are an incredible man. Your example teaches me too, thank you. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Awww, thank you Craig for your kind words. I truly am inspired by you, you are an incredible man. Your example teaches me too, thank you. 

Like I said many times in the past Sheri you also inspirer me, and the more I learn about you like today the more I am inspired! I think we need to get a new thread in the Religious Forum Section started, let’s brain storm this together and you can start it and I will support you what do you think?

Peace Sheri!:tu:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Like I said many times in the past Sheri you also inspirer me, and the more I learn about you like today the more I am inspired! I think we need to get a new thread in the Religious Forum Section started, let’s brain storm this together and you can start it and I will support you what do you think?

That is a wonderful idea. I will think about it see what I come up with. :lol: Yet, you are damn good at starting threads that are engaging. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sherapy said:

That is a wonderful idea. I will think about it see what I come up with. :lol: Yet, you are damn good at starting threads that are engaging. 

Thanks, and your right we don’t need to hurry anyway!

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 9:44 AM, Manwon Lender said:

The small bit underlined is the most honest and best reason i have ever read for no longer following a faith based religion

Some people continue on for social or economic reasons, but without that connection of power brought  through what Christians call the holy sprit  a faith can't bring the benefits  which it can if the connection exists 

This doesn't make them hypocrites but they can never experience the full empowerment of faith or connection. 

I believe this is true for Buddhism too A follower should find results from their faith, such as joy, peace, empowerment  They should feel the connection and the power of the Buddhist equivalent of the holy spirit.

Some Buddhists call it "touching the living Buddha"

for some it might be  the dhamma-vinaya  which is the teacher, and helper and consoler .

Spiritual Practice by Thich Nhat Hanh

"The Holy Spirit is the kind of energy that is capable of being there, of understanding, of accepting, of loving, and of healing. If you agree that the Holy Spirit has the power to be present, to understand, to heal, to love, if you agree about this, then you have to say it is the same thing as the energy of mindfulness. Where mindfulness is, there is true presence. Where mindfulness is, there is the capacity to understand. You have the capacity to accept, to become compassionate, to love, and therefore to touch the energy of mindfulness so that it may become manifest in you. The Buddha as a spiritual ancestor is manifest in you. You are able to allow the Holy Spirit to be in you, to guide you, to shine on you like a lamp. Jesus is then alive in you that very moment.

"It is possible to know the Buddha and at the same time know Jesus. 

https://www.spiritualityandpractice.com/practices/practices/view/28058/the-holy-spirit-and-the-energy-of-mindfulness

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

The small bit underlined is the most honest and best reason i have ever read for no longer following a faith based religion

Some people continue on for social or economic reasons, but without that connection of power brought  through what Christians call the holy sprit  a faith can't bring the benefits  which it can if the connection exists 

This doesn't make them hypocrites but they can never experience the full empowerment of faith or connection. 

I believe this is true for Buddhism too A follower should find results from their faith, such as joy, peace, empowerment  They should feel the connection and the power of the Buddhist equivalent of the holy spirit.

Some Buddhists call it "touching the living Buddha"

for some it might be  the dhamma-vinaya  which is the teacher, and helper and consoler .

Spiritual Practice by Thich Nhat Hanh

"The Holy Spirit is the kind of energy that is capable of being there, of understanding, of accepting, of loving, and of healing. If you agree that the Holy Spirit has the power to be present, to understand, to heal, to love, if you agree about this, then you have to say it is the same thing as the energy of mindfulness. Where mindfulness is, there is true presence. Where mindfulness is, there is the capacity to understand. You have the capacity to accept, to become compassionate, to love, and therefore to touch the energy of mindfulness so that it may become manifest in you. The Buddha as a spiritual ancestor is manifest in you. You are able to allow the Holy Spirit to be in you, to guide you, to shine on you like a lamp. Jesus is then alive in you that very moment.

"It is possible to know the Buddha and at the same time know Jesus. 

https://www.spiritualityandpractice.com/practices/practices/view/28058/the-holy-spirit-and-the-energy-of-mindfulness

I have never said some people could not follow both forms of spirituality, or use part of Buddhas teaching or vise versa if they choose to do that its wonderful. But, concerning me I have no interest in making Christianity part of life, however I am very tolerant of the religious beliefs and practices of anyone else. Except if those beliefs harm others in anyway, that where my tolerance ends! Thanks for your opinion that without Christianity and the Holy Spirit a religion can’t bring Benefits, and that my be true, however Buddhism is group of philosophies not a religion.

Buddhists have been receiving wisdom, inner strength, and clear minds for hundreds of years before Jesus Christ was ever born, in fact when Jesus was born, there were most likely Buddhists already practicing there philosophy in that very city. So please Mr. Walker try following the Buddhist path for once in your life, and stop trying to convert people. That is a Christian practice not a Buddhist practice, Buddhists do not try to convert anyone to their spiritual philosophy and the only time they speak of their beliefs is with other like minded people or those who ask questions.

Peace!:tu:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

I have never said some people could not follow both forms of spirituality, or use part of Buddhas teaching or vise versa if they choose to do that its wonderful. But, concerning me I have no interest in making Christianity part of life, however I am very tolerant of the religious beliefs and practices of anyone else. Except if those beliefs harm others in anyway, that where my tolerance ends! Thanks for your opinion that without Christianity and the Holy Spirit a religion can’t bring Benefits, and that my be true, however Buddhism is group of philosophies not a religion.

Buddhists have been receiving wisdom, inner strength, and clear minds for hundreds of years before Jesus Christ was ever born, in fact when Jesus was born, there were most likely Buddhists already practicing there philosophy in that very city. So please Mr. Walker try following the Buddhist path for once in your life, and stop trying to convert people. That is a Christian practice not a Buddhist practice, Buddhists do not try to convert anyone to their spiritual philosophy and the only time they speak of their beliefs is with other like minded people or those who ask questions.

Exactly, and in Buddhism one core suggestion is to question amongst other things. 

An attachment reveals itself in the promise of blue sky or getting “something” as a result.  The wise person at the very least can distinguish the difference and apply it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sherapy said:

Exactly, and in Buddhism one core suggestion is to question amongst other things. 

An attachment reveals itself in the promise of blue sky or getting “something” as a result.  The wise person at the very least can distinguish the difference and apply it. 

You see Sheri, like I have said I learn from you every day that’s a wonderful way of explaining it and it’s very true. I would also add that attachments can also be the source of misery and pain. Many people live their whole lives unable to break attachments to terrible events in their past so they just keep reliving them and until they do they are unable to release that pain and move into the now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

You see Sheri, like I have said I learn from you every day that’s a wonderful way of explaining it and it’s very true. I would also add that attachments can also be the source of misery and pain. Many people live their whole lives unable to break attachments to terrible events in their past so they just keep reliving them and until they do they are unable to release that pain and move into the now.

:nw: excellent add to. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What if you live in an area where women are only attracted to sociopaths?

On 1/21/2022 at 7:23 PM, Manwon Lender said:

You misunderstood my point 

What Christians call the holy spirit is recognised by Buddhists, but given another name Its the same force or power  The detailed quotes I gave outline at least one Buddhist theological position on this. Thus the power which flows to a christian through the holy sprit flows to a Buddhist through,"  The living Buddha", the dhamma-vinaya , or mindfulness

All people with such  a faith/belief  connection and  filled with this energy are empowered by it,  be they any religion or none.

And yes it was a part of shamanism  tens of thousands of years before Buddhism or Christianity. It was a part of Buddhism and other older religions  before Christianity and it is part of humanism   I was actually agreeing with and expanding on a point you made.

I dont try and convert peole to any faith    

You made tha t mental assumption and it clouded how you read my post  My connection is to the cosmic consciousness.

i was raised secular humanist. I  chose Christianity because 100 % of people where I lived were either christian or agnostic /atheist  and the woman I loved was a christian  I  live a life which is a mix of many of the best bits of many religious beliefs,   because they work    I thus get criticised by just about everyone for not having one   well known faith.

I am a lot like you As long as a faith and practice is constructive, and  helps you and others,  then any faith is good  Not a single one is perfect or completely true,  but individuals require different things from  their faith .

Its true that most Buddhists don't try to sell Buddhism to others, a t least  using hard sell  However a Buddhist knows the benefits that belief and practice bring They can and will educate others in these advantages in the hope they will find a similar path  eg

That said, when the practice of meditation puts you in touch with a greater sense of well-being and a lessening of suffering, you may be motivated to share that with others. That’s why many Buddhists also take a vow to put others before themselves and do whatever is necessary to alleviate their suffering, including introducing them to Buddhist teachings and practices. That’s called giving the gift of dharma. One tries to do it skillfully, always keeping the needs of others paramount and trusting in their intelligence, but travelers on the Buddhist path are not perfect, so a clumsy act of trying to share the dharma could come off as proselytizing.

https://www.lionsroar.com/do-buddhists-try-to-convert-people/

On 1/22/2022 at 11:11 PM, Mr Walker said:

What Christians call the holy spirit is recognised by Buddhists, but given another name Its the same force or power  The detailed quotes I gave outline at least one Buddhist theological position on this. Thus the power which flows to a christian through the holy sprit flows to a Buddhist through,"  The living Buddha", the dhamma-vinaya , or mindfulness

All people with such  a faith/belief  connection and  filled with this energy are empowered by it,  be they any religion or none.

And yes it was a part of shamanism  tens of thousands of years before Buddhism or Christianity. It was a part of Buddhism and other older religions  before Christianity and it is part of humanism   I was actually agreeing with and expanding on a point you made.

You made tha t mental assumption and it clouded how you read my post  My connection is to the cosmic consciousness.

i was raised secular humanist. I  chose Christianity because 100 % of people where I lived were either christian or agnostic /atheist  and the woman I loved was a christian  I  live a life which is a mix of many of the best bits of many religious beliefs,   because they work    I thus get criticised by just about everyone for not having one   well known faith.

I am a lot like you As long as a faith and practice is constructive, and  helps you and others,  then any faith is good  Not a single one is perfect or completely true,  but individuals require different things from  their faith .

Its true that most Buddhists don't try to sell Buddhism to others, a t least  using hard sell  However a Buddhist knows the benefits that belief and practice bring They can and will educate others in these advantages in the hope they will find a similar path  eg

That said, when the practice of meditation puts you in touch with a greater sense of well-being and a lessening of suffering, you may be motivated to share that with others. That’s why many Buddhists also take a vow to put others before themselves and do whatever is necessary to alleviate their suffering, including introducing them to Buddhist teachings and practices. That’s called giving the gift of dharma. One tries to do it skillfully, always keeping the needs of others paramount and trusting in their intelligence, but travelers on the Buddhist path are not perfect, so a clumsy act of trying to share the dharma could come off as proselytizing.

Prostelyzing whether it is soft or a hard sell it is a giant red flag for attachment in Buddhism. For ex: In a mindful practice the focal  point is to see reality as clearly as possible. One uses mindful mediation as a vehicle to practice being present to the current moment. Any view point is temporary/transient subject to change. Buddhism is closer to Science than Religion. 

"Do not think the knowledge you presently possess is changeless, absolute truth. Avoid being narrow minded and bound to present views. Learn and practice nonattachment from views in order to be open to receive others' viewpoints. Truth is found in life and not merely in conceptual knowledge. Be ready to learn throughout your entire life and to observe reality in yourself and in the world at all times." Thich Nhat Hanh

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/22/2022 at 12:45 PM, GoldenWolf said:

What if you live in an area where women are only attracted to sociopaths?

What area would that be, and what is the ratio of women to sociopaths in that area?

Before you think you have a problem with overpopulation let me remind you. As of 2021 60% of the world population comes from Asia. After Asia, Africa comes in second at 17.2%. After that, is about half as much and decreasing. That means, to limit birthing somewhere where population isn't too much of an issue might cause more overpopulation.

https://www.worldometers.info/geography/7-continents/

According to this website the population of Africa doubled in just 27 years.

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/continents-by-population.html

4 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

What area would that be, and what is the ratio of women to sociopaths in that area?

Paul Gosars area and your second question is irrelevant.  The area has the one of the highest amount of domestic violence crimes and has the highest suicide rate in the state.  Arizona is ranked fifth highest in domestic violence crimes.

21 minutes ago, GoldenWolf said:

Paul Gosars area and your second question is irrelevant.  The area has the one of the highest amount of domestic violence crimes and has the highest suicide rate in the state.  Arizona is ranked fifth highest in domestic violence crimes.

I don't know who Paul Gosar is.  But you mention Arizona, so you think all women in the part of Arizona you are in only look for sociopaths, and I think maybe there are a larger number of sociopaths than average in your area and fewer women than average if you think your opinion about what women want is accurate.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

But you mention Arizona, so you think all women in the part of Arizona you are in only look for sociopaths, and I think maybe there are a larger number of sociopaths than average in your area

That's kinda along the lines I was thinking; maybe women only look for sociopaths in an area because that's all that's available?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Liquid Gardens said:

That's kinda along the lines I was thinking; maybe women only look for sociopaths in an area because that's all that's available?

And sometimes because that's what they grew up with.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

I don't know who Paul Gosar is.  But you mention Arizona, so you think all women in the part of Arizona you are in only look for sociopaths, and I think maybe there are a larger number of sociopaths than average in your area and fewer women than average if you think your opinion about what women want is accurate.

Very high meth abuse in the area.  Tweakers are like conditioned sociopaths, as it fries the brain.  Natural born ones flock to this area also, they like the white supremacy stuff.  They like law enforcement not holding them accountable.  Lots of K.K.K. and Aryan types love this area.

The white trash who couldn't establish dominance in California flock here.

Edited by GoldenWolf
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, GoldenWolf said:

Very high meth abuse in the area.  Tweakers are like conditioned sociopaths, as it fries the brain.  Natural born ones flock to this area also, they like the white supremacy stuff.  They like law enforcement not holding them accountable.  Lots of K.K.K. and Aryan types love this area.

The white trash who couldn't establish dominance in California flock here.

Can you move? (just a joke, maybe you could trade places with RavenHawk, he hates Albuquerque because it is too "blue")

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Haha 3

On 1/23/2022 at 4:11 PM, Mr Walker said:

No it is not recognized by Buddhists, because Buddhists first dont believe in spirits holy or other wise! Sir your a complicated and confusing individual MR. walker where do you get your infromation from, Buddhists do not take a Vow that I am aware of. I must ask do you get your information from Chinese fortune cookie?

Its a fact that Buddhists do not recuit others to their spiritual philosophy, not some but all follow this practice. Budhism is in no way like Christianity in this respect, ask anyone on the forum when was the last time they recieved a knock on the door and were interupted by Buddhists that is purely a Christian practice, and a very frustrating one too it kind of p***es me off!

Again let me make something clear to you based upon the following quoted comments below!

Everything you have written above is shear nonsense, and it clearly proves you have 0% knowledge of Buddhist practices, the Buddhist Philosophy, and Buddhas teachings! You see Mr Walker the word Dharma is not a book its a term that in its simplest definition refers to the teachings and doctrines of the Buddha, and these teaching are found in Sutras. So nothing you have said is correct or accurate so again I will ask where does your information come from?

Now to atone for your represetation of the Buddist Philosophy you need to say 6 Hail Buddhas, 5 Our Buddhas, and meditate for at least 1 hour on the subject before you respond again!

Please supply a link or something else, because wherever your information is coming from is not from a site where practicing Buddhists share their experiences, BECAUSE NO practicing Buddhist would comment like you have above!

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/25/2022 at 1:42 PM, Manwon Lender said:

No it is not recognized by Buddhists, because Buddhists first dont believe in spirits holy or other wise! Sir your a complicated and confusing individual MR. walker where do you get your infromation from, Buddhists do not take a Vow that I am aware of. I must ask do you get your information from Chinese fortune cookie?

Its a fact that Buddhists do not recuit others to their spiritual philosophy, not some but all follow this practice. Budhism is in no way like Christianity in this respect, ask anyone on the forum when was the last time they recieved a knock on the door and were interupted by Buddhists that is purely a Christian practice, and a very frustrating one too it kind of p***es me off!

Again let me make something clear to you based upon the following quoted comments below!

Everything you have written above is shear nonsense, and it clearly proves you have 0% knowledge of Buddhist practices, the Buddhist Philosophy, and Buddhas teachings! You see Mr Walker the word Dharma is not a book its a term that in its simplest definition refers to the teachings and doctrines of the Buddha, and these teaching are found in Sutras. So nothing you have said is correct or accurate so again I will ask where does your information come from?

Now to atone for your represetation of the Buddist Philosophy you need to say 6 Hail Buddhas, 5 Our Buddhas, and meditate for at least 1 hour on the subject before you respond again!

Please supply a link or something else, because wherever your information is coming from is not from a site where practicing Buddhists share their experiences, BECAUSE NO practicing Buddhist would comment like you have above!

I gave you the quotes from  Buddhist sources which show that many Buddhists recognise the physical  power which Christians call the holy spirit but use difernt names for it  Here it is again

I also gave you the source which explains that a Buddhist who believes in Buddhism as a powerful force for good,   may encourage others to follow the path because of the improvement in life quality it brings A caring, compassionate, Buddhist wants  others to have the same benefits he /she enjoys 

I believe the particular  part of Buddhism which most espouses this is called engaged Buddhism 

Engaged Buddhism, also known as socially engaged Buddhism, refers to a Buddhist social movement that emerged in Asia in the 20th century, composed of Buddhists who are seeking ways to apply the Buddhist ethics, insights acquired from meditation practice, and the teachings of the Buddhist dharma to contemporary situations of social, political, environmental and economic suffering, and injustice.[1] Finding its roots in Vietnam through the Thiền Buddhist teacher Thích Nhất Hạnh,[1][2] Engaged Buddhism was popularised by the Indian jurist, politician, and social reformer B. R. Ambedkar who inspired the Dalit Buddhist movement in the 1950s,[1] and has since grown by spreading to the Indian subcontinent and the West.[1][3]

During the 1960s, the terms "engaged Buddhism" and "socially engaged Buddhism" were taken up by loosely-connected networks of Buddhists in Asia and the West to describe their adaption of Buddhist values and ethical conduct to social and political activism, which comprised a range of non-violent social and political activities such as peacemaking, promotion of human rights, environmental protection, rural development, combatting ethnic violence, opposition to warfare, and support of women's rights.[1] With globalisation and technological advancement, engaged Buddhist organisations and efforts have spread across the globe, such as the Buddhist Peace Fellowship.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engaged_Buddhism

With respect you sound a bit like a catholic arguing that only Catholicism represents Christianity 

The quote i gave was written by a Buddhist As i said if you find it shear nonsense you are arguing  with a felow Buddhist  who was responding to the question "Do Buddhists seek to convert others ?" , not me    and I i gave the source, but here it is again.

Edited by Mr Walker

2 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

I gave you the quotes from  Buddhist sources which show that many Buddhists recognise the physical  power which Christians call the holy spirit but use difernt names for it  Here it is again

I also gave you the source which explains that a Buddhist who believes in Buddhism as a powerful force for good,   may encourage others to follow the path because of the improvement in life quality it brings A caring, compassionate, Buddhist wants  others to have the same benefits he /she enjoys 

I believe the particular  part of Buddhism which most espouses this is called engaged Buddhism 

Engaged Buddhism, also known as socially engaged Buddhism, refers to a Buddhist social movement that emerged in Asia in the 20th century, composed of Buddhists who are seeking ways to apply the Buddhist ethics, insights acquired from meditation practice, and the teachings of the Buddhist dharma to contemporary situations of social, political, environmental and economic suffering, and injustice.[1] Finding its roots in Vietnam through the Thiền Buddhist teacher Thích Nhất Hạnh,[1][2] Engaged Buddhism was popularised by the Indian jurist, politician, and social reformer B. R. Ambedkar who inspired the Dalit Buddhist movement in the 1950s,[1] and has since grown by spreading to the Indian subcontinent and the West.[1][3]

During the 1960s, the terms "engaged Buddhism" and "socially engaged Buddhism" were taken up by loosely-connected networks of Buddhists in Asia and the West to describe their adaption of Buddhist values and ethical conduct to social and political activism, which comprised a range of non-violent social and political activities such as peacemaking, promotion of human rights, environmental protection, rural development, combatting ethnic violence, opposition to warfare, and support of women's rights.[1] With globalisation and technological advancement, engaged Buddhist organisations and efforts have spread across the globe, such as the Buddhist Peace Fellowship.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engaged_Buddhism

With respect you sound a bit like a catholic arguing that only Catholicism represents Christianity 

The quote i gave was written by a Buddhist As i said if you find it shear nonsense you are arguing  with a felow Buddhist  who was responding to the question "Do Buddhists seek to convert others ?" , not me    and I i gave the source, but here it is again.

Mr Walker you conception of Buddhism amounts to internet searches and then what you can cut and paste. It’s very obvious you have not studied the subject or contemplated it’s meaning and value. I am fully aware of engaged Buddhism, and I am able to converse about the subject without reference. However. your do not realize that by posting information doesn’t show you understand the concept, or that your knowledgeable about the subject. Why you choose to use Wikipedia, and cut - paste I have no idea because you’d not fooling anyone. Here are the principles that Engaged Buddhism was built upon, if you want to learn about this Buddhist philosophy of mindfulness you may want to read and memorize them.

The Fourteen Precepts of Engaged Buddhism

1. Do not be idolatrous about or bound to any doctrine, theory, or ideology, even Buddhist ones. Buddhist systems of thought are guiding means; they are not absolute truth.

2. Do not think the knowledge you presently possess is changeless, absolute truth. Avoid being narrow-minded and bound to present views. Learn and practice non-attachment from views in order to be open to receive others’ viewpoints. Truth is found in life and not merely in conceptual knowledge. Be ready to learn throughout your entire life and to observe reality in yourself and in the world at all times.

3. Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education. However, through compassionate dialogue, help others renounce fanaticism and narrowness.

4. Do not avoid contact with suffering or close your eyes before suffering. Do not lose awareness of the existence of suffering in the life of the world. Find ways to be with those who are suffering, including personal contact, visits, images, and sounds. By such means, awaken yourself and others to the reality of suffering in the world.

5. Do not accumulate wealth while millions are hungry. Do not take as the aim of your life fame, profit, wealth, or sensual pleasure. Live simply and share time, energy, and material resources with those who are in need.

6. Do not maintain anger or hatred. Learn to penetrate and transform them when they are still seeds in your consciousness. As soon as they arise, turn your attention to your breath in order to see and understand the nature of your hatred.

7. Do not lose yourself in dispersion and in your surroundings. Practice mindful breathing to come back to what is happening in the present moment. Be in touch with what is wondrous, refreshing, and healing both inside and around you. Plant seeds of joy, peace, and understanding in yourself in order to facilitate the work of transformation in the depths of your consciousness.

8. Do not utter words that can create discord and cause the community to break. Make every effort to reconcile and resolve all conflicts, however small.

9. Do not say untruthful things for the sake of personal interest or to impress people. Do not utter words that cause division and hatred. Do not spread news that you do not know to be certain. Do not criticize or condemn things of which you are not sure. Always speak truthfully and constructively. Have the courage to speak out about situations of injustice, even when doing so may threaten your own safety.

10. Do not use the Buddhist community for personal gain or profit, or transform your community into a political party. A religious community, however, should take a clear stand against oppression and injustice and should strive to change the situation without engaging in partisan conflicts.

11. Do not live with a vocation that is harmful to humans and nature. Do not invest in companies that deprive others of their chance to live. Select a vocation that helps realize your ideal of compassion.

12. Do not kill. Do not let others kill. Find whatever means possible to protect life and prevent war.

13. Possess nothing that should belong to others. Respect the property of others, but prevent others from profiting from human suffering or the suffering of other species on Earth.

14. Do not mistreat your body. Learn to handle it with respect. Do not look on your body as only an instrument. Preserve vital energies (sexual, breath, spirit) for the realization of the Way. (For brothers and sisters who are not monks and nuns) Sexual expression should not take place without love and commitment. In sexual relationships, be aware of future suffering that may be caused. To preserve the happiness of others, respect the rights and commitments of others. Be fully aware of the responsibility of bringing new lives into the world. Meditate on the world into which you are bringing new beings. https://www.learnreligions.com/proselytization-and-buddhism-449625

Mr. Walker the bolded sentences above apply directly apply to you in every respect! In every single comment bolded above you directly violate those principles in every post. I have brought this directly to your attention on more than one occasion. However, you do not contemplate any constructive criticism, you just continue to live in a world of complete fantasy. Maybe you don’t realize it, maybe you don’t care, or possibly you are unable to comprehend what is being said, but in any case all of the comments bolded shine a bright light on  the attempts you make to act like you understand the subject OBVIOUSLY, CLEARly AND DISTURBINGLY. 

Proselytizing

The historical Buddha openly disagreed with many of the teachings of the Brahmins, Jains, and other religious people of his day. Nevertheless, he taught his disciples to respect clergy and followers of other religions. Further, in most schools of Buddhism aggressive proselytizing is discouraged. Proselytizing is defined by dictionaries as attempting to convert someone from one religion or belief to another, or arguing that your position as the only correct one. I want to make it clear proselytizing is not the same as simply sharing one's religious beliefs or practices without trying to "push" them or force them on others.

I'm sure you're aware that some religious traditions insist on proselytizing. But going back to the time of the historical Buddha, our tradition has been for a Buddhist not to speak of the Buddha dharma until asked. Some schools require being asked three times. The Pali Vinaya-pitaka, rules for the monastic orders, forbids monks and nuns from preaching to people who seem disinterested or disrespectful. It's also against the Vinaya rules to teach people who are in vehicles, or walking, or who are sitting while the monastic is standing.

So again Mr. Walker on the subject of Buddhist Proselytizing you are again completely confused and trying to push your personal dogma and inject it into a conversation where like I have told you it doesn’t belong! Because your unable, unwilling or can not comprehend it doesn’t prove anything except your lack of ability to conceptualize and to apply critical thinking to the subject at hand. Last Mr. Walker there is a great deal you could learn if you approached these conversations with mind set of a student, and not a teacher. Because Mr. Walker, you are certainly not able to teach this subject in a manner that is inline with present Buddhist teachings, this fact is according to Buddhas beliefs, and the Dharma itself. 

Mr. Walk walking the Buddhist Path and practicing a philosophy are far different than the bastardized way you attempt to approach the philosophy and it’s a bit insulting to anyone who practices the Philosophy.

I believe sincerely you should stick to Christian beliefs and continue to follow Mr. Bucke who was the inventor of the Cosmic Consciousness you tell everyone you were born with!

Peace Mr. Walker, I hope you contemplate what I have said here because that would certainly be more beneficial than repeating comments about what you believe, which is not part of the Buddhist methods of teaching or its philosophy!:tu:

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Thanks 3