Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pope Francis says choosing pets over kids is selfish

Eldorado

27 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Then you have a tin ear when it comes to dry wit, subtle caustic commentary and his predilection for droll understatement--all inspired by your own lovable self! Just wordplay by a well-traveled trouper. 

Macbeth

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow    
  Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,    
  To the last syllable of recorded time;    
  And all our yesterdays have lighted fools    
  The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle.    
  Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,    
  That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,    
  And then is heard no more. It is a tale    
  Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,    
  Signifying nothing.

Oh I recognise all those qualities (although i wouldn't call his caustic commentary,  subtle)   but I don't see him as bragging .

I'll probably never know what I did to upset the poor chap so badly, but  he seems incapable of  speaking  rationally and calmly  with me. 

Poor old Macbeth was a depressing character, but lets look a t Shakespeare. He is an example tha t our words can live on and have effects hundreds of years after we die  

His words don't "signify nothing" They mean a lot to many people, even today. 

This is also true of most great literature. 

Edited by Mr Walker

22 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

I see no fixation on the Buddha my response was directed at you comment, and I quote: This thread is, after all, about the Pope, not the Dali Lama.  As far as that being my introduction, I am a little dense and I missed your point, but I do appreciate your honesty concerning causing threads to be shut down because we are all certainly responsible for causing that! But some times a thread reaches a point where the context outlined in the OP has been derailed to the point where continuing it is no longer worth the time to continue it. Sometimes it may be better to just start a new thread and pick up where the derailment occurred, this way it’s much less confusing for someone trying to catch up

And when that new thread has started, what is happening here will happen again, because the same people will make it happen again, resulting, in many, if not most cases, in closure. In every instance it's much of the same crowd responsible. Yes and sadly, sometimes I'm drawn into and contribute to it. This is all lighted-hearted banter, to me. My world won't end, whatever happens. It just grows weary, the same sort of incessant arguments, over and over, again. The topic never matters; if it was about feminine hygiene, the thread would, inevitably, turn to this very same sort of circus. All we need is some cotton candy and circus peanuts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Hammerclaw said:

And when that new thread has started, what is happening here will happen again, because the same people will make it happen again, resulting, in many, if not most cases, in closure. In every instance it's much of the same crowd responsible. Yes and sadly, sometimes I'm drawn into and contribute to it. This is all lighted-hearted banter, to me. My world won't end, whatever happens. It just grows weary, the same sort of incessant arguments, over and over, again. The topic never matters; if it was about feminine hygiene, the thread would, inevitably, turn to this very same sort of circus. All we need is some cotton candy and circus peanuts.

I agree with you completely, and in reality my world also not end. Well, I disagree thought that the topic doesn’t matter, there is a simple way to end the nonsense. This can be done by not starting or participating in threads started in the religious forum section, because some members post no where else. Hell, that may be a way to broaden some peoples horizons by forcing them out of not only their comfort zone, but also the only zone they know!:yes:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

I agree with you completely, and in reality my world also not end. Well, I disagree thought that the topic doesn’t matter, there is a simple way to end the nonsense. This can be done by not starting or participating in threads started in the religious forum section, because some members post no where else. Hell, that may be a way to broaden some peoples horizons by forcing them out of not only their comfort zone, but also the only zone they know!:yes:

Well, I post where I will, with the full knowledge that I can't control what anyone else will do. This sort of discussion, centered around the same individual, has derailed thread after thread, for years, regardless of what the original topic was.  So no, the topic really doesn't matter, just the participants.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Well, I post where I will, with the full knowledge that I can't control what anyone else will do. This sort of discussion, centered around the same individual, has derailed thread after thread, for years, regardless of what the original topic was.  So no, the topic really doesn't matter, just the participants.

To my knowledge which is limited based upon the time I have been a member here, I have never seen him post anywhere else! So I must concede to the fact that your knowledge on the subject far exceeds my own!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

Not only are you are a troll you must be a naturally obnoxious and desperately sad individual  You seem to see only bad in others which probably reflects your feelings about your own nature and worth 

Oh spare me your poor rendition of a wounded shrew, you know what you done and what you do, pretend all you want that no one does but I can assure you, all of [WE] who has been posting the boards here knows only all too well who and what you are. 

~

I just worked out that you are a reincarnation of 3 eyes so back on ignore you go.

You just carry on like a liar like you are... 

~

If you ever bothered to try and use "logical scrutiny"  to criticise my posts, I would have more time for you  but I suspect you don't have the intellectual capacity for that sort of debate 

" Ignorance is the curse of God, 

Knowledge the wing wherewith we fly to heaven. "

Henry VI / William Shakespeare 

Here is where you are always confused, I don't criticize your posts, only your lies. It would help if you don't tell so many much lies. 

~

Ad hominem name  calling is usually a disguise for a lack of intelligence, and capacity for rational debate :)  

Cute, such attempts of yours has failed miserably in the past and that you have such high hopes of success here is so adorable... 

Go and spread your lies... You'll be reminded when it is time to sow... 

~

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

I gave you both

i had already explained that my definition came from  my studies of psychology so it is very similar  to what i quoted 

I then gave you some specific pieces i disagreed with

What you are asking is kind of like asking a person for their personal version of quantum mechanics.

I practice the form of mindfulness i gave , however , I have never used or required meditation,  perhaps because I learned stillness of mind and mindfulness as a young child , ( My parents had me practicing it from infancy )  just as I learned to read and write    Rather I used mental discipline and control to achieve the outcomes  which others reach via meditation  For example my parents might get to me to sit silent for 30 minutes not meditating but using logic or thinking through  questions  ethics moral dilemmas  Eg in 30 minutes workout why we do not steal form another .  You are in a desert with a bottle of water which will last one person 4 days but there are 4 of you Do you share What are the reasons for your answer. What options do you  have which might increase the survival of  you all? We were all asked to think on and reply to similar questions every day or night .  I know i was doing this aged 4 but it started even earlier as i observed with my younger siblings In very simple terms (the end result of)  mindfulness is knowing your own mind completely and thus having total directed control over every thought word and action  You know why you act and you know what the consequences will be You logically weigh up every action in milliseconds Thus you never feel anger hate fear guilt etc You never deliberately hurt yourself or another    Because we are human we are never perfect at this but a mindful person will be many times better adapted in thoughts and behaviours and thus  happier,   more respected and loved  The y will be stronger ,more resilient,  and more able to help others  The following from  above are real and physical outcomes from  mindfulness

38 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Please explain the concept of mindfulness you follow, you have already stated it is not the Buddhist concept in a previous post. So please explain your personal concept in your own words!

basically my understanding  is based on modern psychological principles and practices 

I will use their definitions because the y almost match my own One exception is that, for me, mindfulness encompasses past present and future.

In becoming mindful,  we  remember the past and use it to create a belter future 

Mindfulness is a state of active, open attention to the present. This state is described as observing one’s thoughts and feelings without judging them as good or bad.

To live mindfully is to live in the moment and reawaken oneself to the present, rather than dwelling on the past or anticipating the future. To be mindful is to observe and label thoughts, feelings, sensations in the body in an objective manner. Mindfulness can therefore be a tool to avoid self-criticism and judgment while identifying and managing difficult emotions.

Mindfulness is rooted in Buddhist and Hindu teachings. Buddhism includes a journey toward enlightenment, and the concept of “sati,”—which encompasses attention, awareness, and being present—is considered the first step toward enlightenment. The term was roughly translated from the ancient language Pali into the term “mindfulness.”

What is the purpose of mindfulness?

The goal of mindfulness is to cultivate perspective on one’s consciousness and identity that can bring greater peace mentally and relationally. Mindfulness may also be used in mindfulness-based therapies, to address stress, anxiety, or pain, and simply to become more relaxed.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/au/basics/mindfulness

For me it is the basic principle of logical/ rational thinking, as opposed to using emotions  to make decisions , or decide your mood and responses  . eg 

quotes

1. We suffer more in imagination and thoughts (story mode) than in reality itself (mindfulness mode). For example, thinking about upcoming challenges is almost always worse than dealing with them in the present.

I was taught and worked this out as a preschooler There is nothing to fear in life The hardest t fear to eliminate is fear of being afraid, but that too can be eliminated 

2. The mindfulness mode we cultivate in meditation directly strengthens our capacity for concentration; while temporary by nature, as concentration grows, it is inherently pleasurable; this pleasure can spread into seemingly mundane, quotidian tasks,

As I said above, mental discipline through skill and discipline is the key Meditation is one tool  My parents taught me using other methods .

4. By practicing “mindfulness of emotion,” you can learn to watch anger (or any feeling) instead of automatically getting caught in it. In doing so, you can experience that it is virtually impossible to stay angry for a long time without following the trains of thought anger would aimlessly take him on, and thickening the fabricated story that was justifying it. The half-life of an emotion, by itself, without being fueled by thought, is roughly 90 seconds.

as mentioned earlier this is true but only part true  You can learn to recognise the physiological triggers for emotions, and the neural patterns which make up an emotion .Then you can simply stop them occurring and  /or create a more positive response 

5. You can witness that negative feelings are intrinsically transitory when observing them curiously, independent of the narrative underlying them.

again something learned and taught to me by my parents in pre school years

6. You can access a sense of well-being from merely being alive and sensing your innate, ever-present aliveness, which you cultivate through mindfulness practice. 

Well being and joy are just other neural patterns of energy Once you  recognise them you can recreate them on demand   You can feel joy and happiness no matter what your physical conditions or environmen

7. Just like sleep and hunger, the mind is malleable, it can relearn to settle into stillness naturally. Stillness is its natural state (think of the moment you were conceived in your mother's womb), just like the stillness 30 feet under the ocean, below the surface level agitation. Ironically when we welcome distraction during meditation, it happens less. Practicing brings you closer to this stillness.

Indeed the mind is malleable,  hence the term neural plasticity, and the "I"  or consciousness, which is you, controls the mind. You can create stillness, concentration or any other form of cognition on demand once you learn how to 

Mindfulness, thus, may be the wrong word. When we hear the prefix mind, it links to verbal thinking in our minds, which I've just expounded, isn't mindfulness. It's a poor translation from the original word in the Pali language. “Heartfulness," "presence,” or “systematic attentional training” may be better.

Yes, to me it is; 

“systematic attentional training”

Here is my understanding of the concept of Sati in context with Buddhist Practices, Mr Walker, it’s certainly different than your concept of it! Below is link that may help you expand your horizons Sir!

Oh and by the way Mr Walker you really must stop using Wikipedia as your go to source for Buddhist Philosophies, because it provides you with inaccurate concepts of Buddhist practices every-time. Sati is certainly not the first step on the path to reach enlightenment, The first stage is that of Sotāpanna (Pali; Sanskrit: Srotāpanna), literally meaning “one who enters (āpadyate) the stream (sotas),” with the stream being the Noble Eightfold Path regarded as the highest Dharma.

Sati, Mindfulness, and Nyeom in Context of Buddhist Practice:  https://www.kci.go.kr/kciportal/ci/sereArticleSearch/ciSereArtiView.kci?sereArticleSearchBean.artiId=ART002110590

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just a musing. Years ago, there was a radio talk show host in Boston named David Brudnoy. He broadcast on a "clear channel" station (his show was in the evening, and after sunset he could be heard loud and clear anywhere in New England and far down the coast).

One of his suggestions was that couples contemplating having children should work their way up. Start with a potted plant, and see if they can keep that alive for a while. Then, when that has been achieved, take in a pet, a cat or a dog. When the pet survives for a year, then and not before then is the time to think about a baby.

Yes, he wasn't completely serious, but there is a point to what he was saying. Pope Francis's remarks are premised on either-or, when the truth of the matter is a common project like raising a pet may be a step in the development of a relationship.

I have seen that in real life, anecdotally, but unmistakable. The more dramatic instance was when the mother-to-be had some condition during her first pregnancy that she couldn't sit or lie horizontally without pain. The dog, however, knew what to do. In something that is hard to describe, the woman would sit on the floor and the dog would contort herself into a kind of living body pillow, and the woman would use the dog to support her weight. And there was no pain.

The funny part was that the couple were concerned whether the dog would accept the new baby when she arrived. After all, some dogs get jealous of new family members. They needn't have worried. In all that contortion, the dog's head would end up with one ear pressed against the woman's belly. The dog was listening to the two heartbeats. She was already in love with the baby. And sure enough, there was no problem when the baby graduated to air-breathing status.

Francis could have endorsed the potential of a pet in fostering family life (of which he has zero adult experience) in positive terms. In caring for a pet, and receiving love in return, the bond between the couple may not only strengthen, but even expand to include another. To me, that sounds like a level of maturity in the relationship where a baby would be more likely to thrive than under any plan Francis may have in mind.

Oh, and suppose the pet thing didn't work out so well. Then maybe that's not such a swell environment for a baby, either. Better to know that before the baby comes. Right, Frank?

As I say, just a musing.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

You are entitled to your opinions , but anyone who addresses other posters as he does is basically a troll.

I assume he gets some vicarious pleasure or satisfies some deep inner need from it  And he has NEVER responded to any post of mine with logic or factual argument  so I don't see evidence of competency in those areas.  

Lastly, I had never considered him  to be bragging , just angry.  

Perhaps now would be a good time as any to practice your mindfulness skills. When I read Shayaps feedback for you, I think it is spot on and it provides an opportunity for you to explore and refine yourself or not which it seems is the route your taking. 

You do tend towards confabulation, hyperbole and exaggeration in many of your posts. 

• Thanks 3

4 hours ago, eight bits said:

One of his suggestions was that couples contemplating having children should work their way up. Start with a potted plant, and see if they can keep that alive for a while. Then, when that has been achieved, take in a pet, a cat or a dog. When the pet survives for a year, then and not before then is the time to think about a baby.

Someone told my daughter that.  She decided to foster a dog.  The stress of that dog was too much on her husband so she took it back after a week.   It took him another year to convince her he wanted children and it would be different with a child than a dog.    He was right.  They have two children and he is a great dad.  Now that the oldest is 9 they have taken the plunge and adopted a puppy.   They love that puppy and everyone helps take care of it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

lol  That was a non emotional, factual, but value driven  argument 

I care about people, about individuals , and the human race. 

I see a responsibility and duty by every person to others m especially where you are comparatively wealthy privileged and empowered 

It comes form being raised a humanist but also from  what i have learned from  history geography politics and sociology  

Life as we know it WILL end relatively soon if we don't change the way we live .  It's physically unsustainable ; we will either run out of critical resources or will go to war over them  

There are signs of progress and improvement, but still a long way to go, to overcome  the materialism , individualism, and sense of entitlement of many.

Mindfulness doesn't preclude awareness and thoughtfulness.  Indeed it should enhance them  A mindful person will usually  be more caring and compassionate than a non mindful one 

It appears you have some worry/stress weeds that contribute to the fear mongering and judgement in your mental garden, MW.

Just a heads up you my friend are catastrophizing which is coming from the reactive mind. 

Your mindfulness practice would be useful here. :tu:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, eight bits said:

Just a musing. Years ago, there was a radio talk show host in Boston named David Brudnoy. He broadcast on a "clear channel" station (his show was in the evening, and after sunset he could be heard loud and clear anywhere in New England and far down the coast).

Yes, he wasn't completely serious, but there is a point to what he was saying. Pope Francis's remarks are premised on either-or, when the truth of the matter is a common project like raising a pet may be a step in the development of a relationship.

I have seen that in real life, anecdotally, but unmistakable. The more dramatic instance was when the mother-to-be had some condition during her first pregnancy that she couldn't sit or lie horizontally without pain. The dog, however, knew what to do. In something that is hard to describe, the woman would sit on the floor and the dog would contort herself into a kind of living body pillow, and the woman would use the dog to support her weight. And there was no pain.

The funny part was that the couple were concerned whether the dog would accept the new baby when she arrived. After all, some dogs get jealous of new family members. They needn't have worried. In all that contortion, the dog's head would end up with one ear pressed against the woman's belly. The dog was listening to the two heartbeats. She was already in love with the baby. And sure enough, there was no problem when the baby graduated to air-breathing status.

Francis could have endorsed the potential of a pet in fostering family life (of which he has zero adult experience) in positive terms. In caring for a pet, and receiving love in return, the bond between the couple may not only strengthen, but even expand to include another. To me, that sounds like a level of maturity in the relationship where a baby would be more likely to thrive than under any plan Francis may have in mind.

Oh, and suppose the pet thing didn't work out so well. Then maybe that's not such a swell environment for a baby, either. Better to know that before the baby comes. Right, Frank?

As I say, just a musing.

My son and his girlfriend are doing the “let’s get a puppy first before we have kids”… my furry grandson River just got a new sibling his name is Ryder. 

Karlie called me and asked how soon can I get to South Dakota to help with the boys. I fly out next week to meet the new baby.:wub:

I think having pets first is a wonderful trial run for future babies.  Meet Ryder and River.

A8F164F9-FFE1-4F68-83D1-7A933F4DBD28.jpeg

5F7C967A-3341-4FA3-88BF-21EC34CC1F42.jpeg

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

It appears you have some worry/stress weeds that contribute to the fear mongering and judgement in your mental garden, MW.

Just a heads up you my friend are catastrophizing which is coming from the reactive mind. 

Honestly, Mr Walker is probs the less stressed person around here.

Even if his personal life is more difficult then most.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

My son and his girlfriend are doing the “let’s get a puppy first before we have kids”… my furry grandson River just got a new sibling his name is Ryder. 

Karlie called me and asked how soon can I get to South Dakota to help with the boys. I fly out next week to meet the new baby.:wub:

I think having pets first is a wonderful trial run for future babies.  Meet Ryder and River.

Well, at least, calling their kids "mutts" in this case, isn't an insult!:P

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Your son is obviously a heretic.

Well done..

• Haha 2

Somebody should tell Pope Francis, that raping little children for personal gratification, is selfish.

And covering it up, is diabolical.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Oh, they look like part poodle dogs.  How sweet.   I had a red standard poodle that looked like the red puppy when he wasn't groomed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Oh, they look like part poodle dogs.  How sweet.   I had a red standard poodle that looked like the red puppy when he wasn't groomed.

Thank you, both are Labradoodles. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

I tried to find a poodle or doodle dog to adopt but in this area there are none.  I found a breeder recommended by my mother's friend who charged 3000.00 for puppies.    I am going to look in Arizona.  My sister in law has a dog that she was told was a labradoodle but it must have been a miniature poodle because the dog has the body of t labrador but the legs of a basset hound.  He does have the hair of a labradoodle and is very sweet.   I did adopt a dog who as far as I can tell is part husky, part herding dog (maybe red healer) and part something else.  She is really smart, sweet and very pretty but I am having a hard time getting used to the dog hair on everything.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I tried to find a poodle or doodle dog to adopt but in this area there are none.  I found a breeder recommended by my mother's friend who charged 3000.00 for puppies.    I am going to look in Arizona.  My sister in law has a dog that she was told was a labradoodle but it must have been a miniature poodle because the dog has the body of t labrador but the legs of a basset hound.  He does have the hair of a labradoodle and is very sweet.   I did adopt a dog who as far as I can tell is part husky, part herding dog (maybe red healer) and part something else.  She is really smart, sweet and very pretty but I am having a hard time getting used to the dog hair on everything.

My son and girlfriend found the black and white one in another state, River was $2000.00 plus plane fare. Riley was $200.00 a friend of my sons had a litter and he had another pregnant dog and needed a home for him asap. The interesting part is my son wanted a reddish brown curly hair version. Riley according to my son is a sweet boy, very chill. River absolutely adores Riley and vice versa.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Sherapy said:

I used to have a "Deagle" a Dachshund-Beagle cross.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

I used to have a "Deagle" a Dachshund-Beagle cross.

That must have been quite an interesting dog.  I have had a beagle and a dachsund.    

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

That must have been quite an interesting dog.  I have had a beagle and a dachshund.    

It was a beautiful little dog with Beagle markings, long slender legs like a Terrier's, eyes and skull of a Beagle and snout like a Dachshund. We named him Bilbo.

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 5

On 2/7/2022 at 9:13 PM, Manwon Lender said:

Here is my understanding of the concept of Sati in context with Buddhist Practices, Mr Walker, it’s certainly different than your concept of it! Below is link that may help you expand your horizons Sir!

Oh and by the way Mr Walker you really must stop using Wikipedia as your go to source for Buddhist Philosophies, because it provides you with inaccurate concepts of Buddhist practices every-time. Sati is certainly not the first step on the path to reach enlightenment, The first stage is that of Sotāpanna (Pali; Sanskrit: Srotāpanna), literally meaning “one who enters (āpadyate) the stream (sotas),” with the stream being the Noble Eightfold Path regarded as the highest Dharma.

Sati, Mindfulness, and Nyeom in Context of Buddhist Practice:  https://www.kci.go.kr/kciportal/ci/sereArticleSearch/ciSereArtiView.kci?sereArticleSearchBean.artiId=ART002110590

Wiki pedia is an adequate and easily  accessible source in this level of debate. However you ignored the many other sources i have provided about alternative Buddhist beliefs and philosophies Buddhism is as diverse as Christianity with as many different  emphases and interpretations You do at times sound a bot like a christian from  one denomination trying to convince everyone that your own interpretation is the only correct one  

The Pali word sati (smriti in Sanskrit) is commonly translated as “mindfulness,” which in English usually means simply to be aware, as when we say, “I am mindful that it is Tuesday.” It can also suggest a heightened awareness or care, as in “Be mindful not to break that plate.” This sense is familiar to social researchers, who notice that much of what we do is done habitually and without much conscious awareness, whereas studies show that it is more effective to do things mindfully than mindlessly.

https://tricycle.org/magazine/sati-meaning/

Before one can enter the stream , one must make up one's mind to do so, Thus mindfulness (IMO) is the basis for all else .

The following is an interesting article.

https://www.insightmeditationcenter.org/2017/01/buddhas-teachings-on-mindfulness/

On 2/8/2022 at 1:48 AM, Sherapy said:

lol Sherapy as usual you are imposing your own feelings onto me  

I have no stress or stressors. Things which would stress you do my bother me. 

And no, I still counsel others on their tendency to catastrophise. What i was doing was nothing like catastrophising.

I suspect, however,  that what you are doing is  ignoring  unpalatable truths,  and existing in a state of denial of those truths 

That is a common American perspective and indeed a particularly common perspective of better off Americans. Like wealthy Europeans and Australians the y may be the last to feel the effects of future   environment  concerns, and  the results of unfairness and injustice in the world 

tell me. Do you see all those who urge for social, economic and environmental reforms, justice, sustainability  and equality, as  catastrophising?