Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pope Francis says choosing pets over kids is selfish

Eldorado

On 1/14/2022 at 5:03 PM, Mr Walker said:

In 2019–20, immigration to Australia came to a halt during the COVID-19 pandemic, which in turn saw a shrinkage of the Australian population for the first time since World War I. Net overseas migration has increased from 30,042 in 1992–93 to 178,582 persons in 2015–16.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_to_Australia#:~:text=In 2019–20%2C immigration to,178%2C582 persons in 2015–16.

On a per capita basis we take far more migrants in, than America .Indeed, Australia's population consists of 35% migrants, compared to Americas 13 .5 %   Australia has the highest percentage  (of migrants) of any modern western country 

Hi Walker

This is Canada's stats.

https://www.statista.com/topics/2917/immigration-in-canada/#dossierKeyfigures

Canada has been a land of immigrants since the first European colonizers of the 16th century, a trend that continues today. Currently, annual immigration in Canada amounts to around 300,000 new immigrants – one of the highest rates per population of any country in the world. As of 2020, there were just above eight million immigrants with permanent residence living in Canada - roughly 21.5 percent of the total Canadian population. Despite (or perhaps because of) this long history of immigration, public opinion on migration levels in Canada is split: 39 percent feel that the numbers should be lower, while 34 percent are satisfied with the current level.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Walker

This is Canada's stats.

https://www.statista.com/topics/2917/immigration-in-canada/#dossierKeyfigures

Canada has been a land of immigrants since the first European colonizers of the 16th century, a trend that continues today. Currently, annual immigration in Canada amounts to around 300,000 new immigrants – one of the highest rates per population of any country in the world. As of 2020, there were just above eight million immigrants with permanent residence living in Canada - roughly 21.5 percent of the total Canadian population. Despite (or perhaps because of) this long history of immigration, public opinion on migration levels in Canada is split: 39 percent feel that the numbers should be lower, while 34 percent are satisfied with the current level.

Indeed Canada has a slightly better record on accepting refugees but Australia has a higher percentage of immigrants, overall. 

The feeling here is similarly divided

Almost half of Australians(46%) believe immigration should be reduced, but more people are broadly positive than negative towards the largest cohorts of migrants, including skilled workers and refugees, according to a new global survey shared exclusively with Guardian Australia. while 23% felt it should be increased. The remainder either believed it was fine as it was, or they didn’t know.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/may/02/almost-half-of-australians-believe-immigration-should-be-reduced-poll-finds

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

Indeed Canada has a slightly better record on accepting refugees but Australia has a higher percentage of immigrants, overall. 

The feeling here is similarly divided

Almost half of Australians(46%) believe immigration should be reduced, but more people are broadly positive than negative towards the largest cohorts of migrants, including skilled workers and refugees, according to a new global survey shared exclusively with Guardian Australia. while 23% felt it should be increased. The remainder either believed it was fine as it was, or they didn’t know.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/may/02/almost-half-of-australians-believe-immigration-should-be-reduced-poll-finds

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/immigration-by-country

The reality is that Australia isn’t even in the top ten. 

• Like 3

Maybe most of the immigrants to Australia are kept in old fridges out there in the outback... 

~

• Haha 5

Not having children is selfish. 

Bold words from a Virgin...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 1/8/2022 at 1:40 AM, Eldorado said:

Pope Francis has suggested people who choose to have pets over children are acting selfishly.

The Pope's comments came as he was discussing parenthood during a general audience at the Vatican in Rome.

"Today ... we see a form of selfishness," he told the audience. "We see that some people do not want to have a child.

"Sometimes they have one, and that's it, but they have dogs and cats that take the place of children.

"This may make people laugh, but it is a reality."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59884801

Yeah not all people can have kids pope... I discovered that there are an unlimited number of men who desperately want kids, but unfortunately men who are capable of being providers rather than leeches are very scarce these days. 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

Hm, I see Australia as #9 in that list. Were you looking at the emigrants list? 

Oops, I missed it. I stand corrected. Thank you. :nw:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Mary was just a virgin when she had Jesus. After that she had more children with Joseph.

• Haha 2

The United States has the highest number of immigrants in the world. The U.S. isn't as economically selective of it's immigrants as are most other countries.

Immigration by Country 2021 (worldpopulationreview.com)

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

The United States has the highest number of immigrants in the world. The U.S. isn't as economically selective of it's immigrants as are most other countries.

Immigration by Country 2021 (worldpopulationreview.com)

Right, there is a poem on the statue of liberty at Ellis Island that starts "Give us your hungry, your poor..."   We used to want immigrants, we wanted to be a place of refuge.   Immigration in the U.S. is not about economics in the short run, it plays out that way in the long run.  (at least it did until the CIA started using the drug cartels)

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Right, there is a poem on the statue of liberty at Ellis Island that starts "Give us your hungry, your poor..."   We used to want immigrants, we wanted to be a place of refuge.   Immigration in the U.S. is not about economics in the short run, it plays out that way in the long run.  (at least it did until the CIA started using the drug cartels)

Well, that's what it says in the funny pages. We were and still are an immigrant magnet and no one can touch us, still, in sheer numbers--and that's just legal immigration. That plague they bolt to that statue the French donated is a sweet sentiment, but immigration was all about needing manpower to build a nation and finish wresting America from the hands of it's native inhabitants. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Well, that's what it says in the funny pages. We were and still are an immigrant magnet and no one can touch us, still, in sheer numbers--and that's just legal immigration. That plague they bolt to that statue the French donated is a sweet sentiment, but immigration was all about needing manpower to build a nation and finish wresting America from the hands of it's native inhabitants. 

Yep.  Now it could still give us an advantage if the rules were enforced, but they have not been and I understand, since I live in a southern border state, how hard it is.  A wall is not needed, but more resources, instead, need to go towards processing the legal requests.   Also, if homeland security and ICE were held to more suprevision in the way they use their resources we would have fewer problems as well.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Opus Magnus said:

Mary was just a virgin when she had Jesus. After that she had more children with Joseph.

And all this time I thought the virgin Joseph was being slighted. :yes:

• Haha 6

27 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Yep.  Now it could still give us an advantage if the rules were enforced, but they have not been and I understand, since I live in a southern border state, how hard it is.  A wall is not needed, but more resources, instead, need to go towards processing the legal requests.   Also, if homeland security and ICE were held to more suprevision in the way they use their resources we would have fewer problems as well.

That's a touchy topic and that border situation will be addressed when something truly horrible, finally, comes across it. You can't leave your back door open, forever, thinking nothing bad will come of it and I ain't talking about poor Hispanics who just want a new beginning and a decent life.

Edited by Hammerclaw

8 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

That's a touchy topic and that border situation will be addressed when something truly horrible, finally, comes across it. You can't leave your back door open, forever, thinking nothing bad will come of it and I ain't talking about poor Hispanics who just want a new beginning and a decent life.

That's what my comment about the CIA encouraging the cartels was about.  It is too late, they got in, and it seems they were invited by someone.

• Like 2

In the 80's before ICE & Homeland security I lived in Southern New Mexico.   The farmers depended on a lot of migrant workers but could not afford to pay them well.   There was a guy who a woman hired (I think she drove to Mexico to find him or got one of his relatives to bring him across the border) and she paid him about $5.00 and hour to do yard work but she made no provisions for him and it was not a full time job.   My sister's mother in law lived on the highway and he knocked on her door one day and asked if he could sleep in her little trailer (it was a tiny camping trailer that she used for storage).   She did not find him scary and she felt bad for him because she knew the woman he worked for.  He had a bicycle and kept it by the trailer.  She would sometimes give him food and he would do some work for her.   One day the border patrol pulled up in her yard with him in the back.  They were taking him back across the border because the lady who had hired him had called them.   He asked them to let him talk to my sister's mother in law because he wanted her to know why he wasn't around and to ask if she would look after his bicycle.    He did come back the next summer but he had a visa and a place to stay and she had his bicycle for him.    And I am not sure why I tell this except that the farmers for the  most part in that area were glad to have help that they could afford.  They would not do business with the Coyote's like the farmers on the east coast did.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

In the 80's before ICE & Homeland security I lived in Southern New Mexico.   The farmers depended on a lot of migrant workers but could not afford to pay them well.   There was a guy who a woman hired (I think she drove to Mexico to find him or got one of his relatives to bring him across the border) and she paid him about $5.00 and hour to do yard work but she made no provisions for him and it was not a full time job.   My sister's mother in law lived on the highway and he knocked on her door one day and asked if he could sleep in her little trailer (it was a tiny camping trailer that she used for storage).   She did not find him scary and she felt bad for him because she knew the woman he worked for.  He had a bicycle and kept it by the trailer.  She would sometimes give him food and he would do some work for her.   One day the border patrol pulled up in her yard with him in the back.  They were taking him back across the border because the lady who had hired him had called them.   He asked them to let him talk to my sister's mother in law because he wanted her to know why he wasn't around and to ask if she would look after his bicycle.    He did come back the next summer but he had a visa and a place to stay and she had his bicycle for him.    And I am not sure why I tell this except that the farmers for the  most part in that area were glad to have help that they could afford.  They would not do business with the Coyote's like the farmers on the east coast did.

When I was in high school, I bought a Joan Baez album and it came with an additional 45 with this song on it. It stuck in my mind and I still know it by heart.

Plane Wreck at Los Gatos
(also known as "Deportee")
Words by Woody Guthrie, Music by Martin Hoffman

The crops are all in and the lettuce is rott'ning,
The oranges are piled in their creosote dumps;
They're flying 'em back to the Mexican border
To pay all their money to wade back again

Goodbye to my Juan, goodbye, Rosalita,
Adios mis amigos, Jesus y Maria;
You won't have your names when you ride the big airplane,
All they will call you will be "deportees"

My father's own father, he waded that river,
They took all the money he made in his life;
My brothers and sisters come working the fruit trees,
And they rode the truck till they took down and died.

Some of us are illegal, and some are not wanted,
Our work contract's out and we have to move on;
Six hundred miles to that Mexican border,
They chase us like outlaws, like rustlers, like thieves.

We died in your hills, we died in your deserts,
We died in your valleys and died on your plains.
We died 'neath your trees and we died in your bushes,
Both sides of the river, we died just the same.

The sky plane caught fire over Los Gatos Canyon,
A fireball of lightning, and shook all our hills,
Who are all these friends, all scattered like dry leaves?
The radio says, "They are just deportees"

Is this the best way we can grow our big orchards?
Is this the best way we can grow our good fruit?
To fall like dry leaves to rot on my topsoil
And be called by no name except "deportees"?

https://youtu.be/4jWFPLjYEaw

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 2

God warns the Israelites that by rejecting him a number of curses will befall them. The curse that foreigners will begin to rule them is repeated in many different ways. This applies to America and Australia as it did to the Israelites because of how these nations began. As Israel was given to the Israelites over the genocide of the Caananite people, so was America given over the Indians and Australia the Aboriginees. This wasn't a free victory and if the people become more evil than the natives were, God might always take the land back. As he took it back from the Israelites.

Deuteronony 28

43The foreigners who reside among you will rise above you higher and higher, but you will sink lower and lower. 44They will lend to you, but you will not lend to them. They will be the head, but you will be the tail.

34 minutes ago, Opus Magnus said:

God warns the Israelites that by rejecting him a number of curses will befall them. The curse that foreigners will begin to rule them is repeated in many different ways. This applies to America and Australia as it did to the Israelites because of how these nations began. As Israel was given to the Israelites over the genocide of the Caananite people, so was America given over the Indians and Australia the Aboriginees. This wasn't a free victory and if the people become more evil than the natives were, God might always take the land back. As he took it back from the Israelites.

Deuteronony 28

I thought we had changed the topic to immigration somehow and now you are trying to change it back to religion.    Maybe it has nothing to do with any warning from any deity, but rather everything to do with the Roman/British empire.  

There is something twisted about the bolded that you said.  Are you claiming that the natives were evil so your "God" let the europeans invade their homeland?   Utter rubbish.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Thanks 6

9 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

I thought we had changed the topic to immigration somehow and now you are trying to change it back to religion.    Maybe it has nothing to do with any warning from any deity, but rather everything to do with the Roman/British empire.  

There is something twisted about the bolded that you said.  Are you claiming that the natives were evil so your "God" let the europeans invade their homeland?   Utter rubbish.

That individual is more than a little twisted, he’s fully full of BS and it would not surprise me if someone may be using multiple accounts can’t prove it but the comments sure do sound very very familiar!:yes:

Peace My friend!:tu:

• Like 1

On 1/14/2022 at 3:38 PM, Mr Walker said:

just a non religious /humanist perspective

If you value and love humans, and humanity, then of course its "better" to use your resources on humans than animals.

They don't have to be your own children.

You can support other children, close by or around the world 

While we need to reduce the birth rate for a little bit longer, in the long run current birthrates will cause the earth's population to fall and perhaps even cease to exist 

Ie on average every woman must have 2.2 children to sustain a stable population. Les than that and the population keeps falling until it ceases to exist 

currently the global fertility rate is 2.3 or just fractionally above replacement  level, and it has been falling for a long time, and is continuing to fall.

I speak as a person with 3 dogs and a cat who has, in their life time supported many many animals (eg we rescued 13 abandoned lambs and kept them until they died of old age ) and given to many animal welfare and rights groups 

I do see it as weird that peole treat animals like kids and spend so much money on them  There is something obscene about children starving to death around the world, while  wealthy people spend a fortune on their pets There is something psychologically wrong  (IMO) with a human who likes other animals more than human animals,  although it's quite natural to  have pets for companionship, protection, or for work.

The wealthy folks I know not only rescue animals and get them the best care and training, but they also do so much for children who need it too. For ex: A dear friend of mine rescued a lab from Mexico who was trying to survive on rocks and broke all her teeth and had serious behavioral issues from the life she lived while abandoned and she hired the best trainer and paid a lot of money to get the dogs teeth fixed too. In my mind, she is an Angel. She also does so much for kids from broken homes and donates her time and money as a foster care mother. 

Another ex: We rescued a little maltipoo who was dumped on-the side of the road to fend for himself, he was very sick and traumatized when we got him. We did all we could to nurse him back to heath and he is our sweet boy, whom we love as much as our children and to see him so happy and safe means a lot to us, We do shower him with attention and stuff, including taking him on vacation with us, but we have the money to do so. 

What disturbs me is not that folks spend money on their dogs or kids, but that anyone would even conceive of let alone harm an animal or a child or judge one better or more preferable than the other. 

The Pope is short sighted and shallow on this topic, kids or pets give the opportunity to nurture empathy, compassion and kindness in humans. There is nothing selfish about choosing to care for pets or kids. Sheesh. 

54F7F203-E067-492A-920D-1BDDEF7B887E.jpeg

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I think the pope should be thinking about all the children that have no families first before crying about how selfish people are.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

One has to admire how dedicated rescuers are to their mission of helping abandoned and neglected animals.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

I think the pope should be thinking about all the children that have no families first before crying about how selfish people are.

:nw:

• Like 3