Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Record numbers of NHS England staff quit

Eldorado

More than 27,000 medics left the NHS in the third quarter of last year, the highest number on record and approximately 2 per cent of the entire workforce, according to NHS England figures.

Almost 7,000 left due to concerns about their work-life balance between July and September last year, the single biggest reason for leaving apart from contracts ending.

The figure of 27,353 is more than double the number that left during the first wave of the pandemic from April to June 2020 when the pandemic was at its height.

It is the largest number of people to leave the NHS over concerns since records began in 2011.

MSN

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

So the old saying is true then. When the going gets tough, the tough get going.

I wonder how many of that 27,000 were part of the 70,000 that were refusing to have the vaccine. 

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Thanks 1

Ive never worked this one out. The amount of Gov sector that quit out of protest. Where do they expect their money to come from thereafter? UC is £70pw, their spouse, a new job? All these things seem a bit too wired for me. I'm convinced half of then Nurses will be back to work shortly in a different Dept of the NHS however leaving their first job, for a second job; counts as quitting in their world.

• Like 2

I think there were about 40,000 retired or otherwise ex NHS staff who returned when Covid first arrived in the UK. I would suppose many of those would be looking to leave after doing their bit and their numbers would appear in the work life balance column swelling the leaving figure. 

I also notice that of the 27,000 some have taken promotion within the NHS, a number almost as high as the work life balance number.

So a significant number happy to stay, strange non of these were contacted for a comment. ;)    

I suspect the numbers will even out once you take into account all those new 'inclusivity and diversity' managers. Won't make it any better for the patients though. 

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 1

The more warm bodies a hospital loses through regular attrition or forced compliance, the more stressful everyone else's lives become.  Typical downward spiral.  Having worked in hospital imaging departments we saw it all the time.  Just having a couple of workers out sick put a lot of extra stress on the rest of the crew in the department.  When the absences become very numerous AND chronic, people just get worn out.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ethereal_scout said:

Ive never worked this one out. The amount of Gov sector that quit out of protest. Where do they expect their money to come from thereafter? UC is £70pw, their spouse, a new job? All these things seem a bit too wired for me. I'm convinced half of then Nurses will be back to work shortly in a different Dept of the NHS however leaving their first job, for a second job; counts as quitting in their world.

They quit and do bank work.

Working for an agency can double your take home salary.  It’s the anathema of public sector staff, but unfortunately when you have a workforce that is statutory you have the government over a barrel.

14 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

I wonder how many of that 27,000 were part of the 70,000 that were refusing to have the vaccine. 

Hi It's

I doubt if that matters to patients and their families or the extra workload that will be on those that stayed, nor does it matter to me. Last year they were giving sign up bonuses to students that had completed most of their training but had not graduated with recognition so it compounds the situation to a degree because of lack of experience. I am not saying that these students are not dedicated to help or do better but it is an industry so it's pretty much the same across the board in any trade, just making note that me worrying about your or someone else's choices is not an issue.

The world is not going to bend to your or my will and from where I sit in a crowd of 8 billion so what 2 guys think on an internet forum is insignificant and the majority of the people on this planet are willing to comply due to the nature of the situation. I understand some have their reservations an you have to work that out for yourself as the world keeps changing every day so why not focus on doing your best in your life for you and accept that is what we are all trying to do. Nobody is forcing you or anyone else to do something you don't want to so why cry about us giving you a choice that you cannot avoid any more than it did for the majority?

21 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

So the old saying is true then. When the going gets tough, the tough get going.

Emotional exhaustion is the cause of most people living most jobs.

For medical staff I suspect two years of corona has made them hate working there. Quite early on the government was applying pressure to them which I think is wrong. They need looking after better. It will be a bit like combat fatigue, when the going gets tough they need their out time.

Covid in Scotland:

Covid-related absences in the NHS are at their highest levels since the early weeks of the pandemic.

Official figures showed an average of more than 7,000 NHS staff were off work every day in the week to 11 January.

This is the highest daily average since the end of April 2020, at the height of the first wave of the virus.

The numbers have soared in recent weeks due to the rapid spread of the Omicron variant and the strict isolation rules.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-59988292