Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What will happen if someone actually dies in space ?

UM-Bot

The only possible solution left is:

Soylent Green!

• Haha 2

there are contingencies in place already for such.

Thrown it down so it burn during rentry ? For the ISS, they have the returning dragon capsule that can bring down a corpse if they like. In deep space... burning it Ripley way ?

How well can xenomorphs survive the vacuum of space? - Science Fiction &  Fantasy Stack Exchange

• Like 2

I believe the three SSSR cosmonauts officialy died in space 1971. The astronauts successfully docked and spent 22 days aboard the Salyut 1 space station. On the 30th June 1971, during reentry Soyuz space capsule experienced a catastrophic failure and depressurised, killing the three cosmonauts at an altitude of 168 kilometres (104 mi). Remarkably the spacecraft made a completely automated descent and landed intact at it’s prescribed landing zone in Kazakhstan. It was only during the recovery of the capsule, were the cosmonauts found to be dead.

• Like 1

Man that's weird. I was thinking about this earlier whilst writing some music. As you float away and either the oxygen slowly runs out or, bitter realisation that it's curtains kicks in, do you become accepting of the situation? Or, the fact you can see the solar system (and probably earth) float by in your isolation, is it euphoric? You are trapped inside a suit which is essentialy your coffin. There must be a moment where fear goes and you are left alone with the galaxy.  What is the distance you could travel before you expired?

Edited by Gumball
  • Like 1

If it's earth orbit, they'd probably try to return the corpse. Any farther out, and I'd hope they'd either jettison it or find a way to recycle it. I mean, we are about 70% water. That's useful, at least.
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Abramelin said:

The only possible solution left is:

Soylent Green!

When we get around to establishing our first colony.... oh I love that word as a Brit.... called Jamestown (yes Jamestown lol) will they resort to cannibalism if their food crop fails? It might take six months to get an emergency supply ship there.

Will they go outside on Mars and dig up the deceased baring in mind the lack of oxygen will mean they will be quite well preserved for years? This is like an interesting Rimworld scenario.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Unadan said:

Would the astronaut's soul travel back to earth or to some other realm?

Only humans without a soul are allowed to travel that far.

So don't you worry.

• Haha 1

On 1/9/2022 at 10:55 AM, Abramelin said:

Only humans without a soul are allowed to travel that far.

So don't you worry.

Who said I was worried?