Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Turkmenistan's ‘Gateway to Hell’ to be extinguished

Eldorado

Turkmenistan is attempting to extinguish its “Gateway to Hell”, a fire in a desert crater which has been burning for decades.

President Gurbanguly Berdymukhamedov said that he wanted to put out the flames for environmental and health reasons, and to increase the country’s gas exports.

The crater, which is 70m wide and 20m deep, is one of Turkmenistan’s top tourist destinations and is situated in the vast Karakum desert.

But despite its popularity among visitors, the origins of the crater remain unknown. According to local geologists, it was formed in the 1960s but only set alight two decades later.

MSN

• Like 2

This is so cool. Mainly because if they use water and the temperatures drop to the typical -20C then hell might really freeze over and finally Emily Broadhurst from my school days will date me as she clearly said, only if hell freezes over. Now, where did I put her number? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Build a pipeline from nearby lake or ocean, drown it, end of toxic fumes.

13 hours ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

This is so cool. Mainly because if they use water and the temperatures drop to the typical -20C then hell might really freeze over and finally Emily Broadhurst from my school days will date me as she clearly said, only if hell freezes over. Now, where did I put her number? 

Get it round ye, Emily.

It's quite a hole and theres some other strange hellish holes nearby, the water crater with bubbly murky water

door-to-hell-darvaza-water-crater-turkmenistan-1.jpg

and the muddy crater with fire blazing mud.

door-to-hell-darvaza-mud-crater-turkmenistan-2.jpg

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 1

Wild stuff. How the hell do you put out something like this?