Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why do people talk in their sleep?

Eldorado

If you’ve ever heard your partner blurt out strange bits of gibberish in the middle of the night, you probably know it can be equal parts jarring and hilarious. In some cases, talking in your sleep just seems like harmless chatter, but it can also be a little disconcerting if your bed partner starts loudly screeching “Why are you doing this to me?” in a high-pitched voice (trust us, it’s terrifying).

While experts and researchers have several theories as to why this happens, Abhinav Singh, M.D., medical director at Indiana Sleep Center and member of the medical review panel for SleepFoundation.org, tells SELF that the most simplified explanation for sleep talking is that your sleep/wake switches aren’t working as efficiently and may be a little sloppy.

https://www.self.com/story/heres-what-it-means-when-you-talk-in-your-sleep?

• Like 1

lol

i do

I know I was on on a family holiday and I was wanting and raving in my sleep but my uncle passed last year used to Andre in his sleep as well sounds in my sleep I've spoke I have work myself speaking in my sleep sometimes I have scared myself sleep by doing it

• Like 1

I wish my wife talked in her sleep rather than when she is awake... :whistle:

• Haha 5

Have you tried turning your brain off then on again???

• Haha 2

Technically your brain is having a conversation with itself, and the mouth has been activated by mistake.
Women do it while they're awake too. To not seem weird, they'll ask if you agree with them. Just say yes.

• Haha 1

My wife says that I sometimes do sign language in my sleep (both of my parents are deaf, so I am fluent). 

• Like 1

Many people also sleep in their talk.

32 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

Many people also sleep in their talk.

Hi Rob

Or put everyone else asleep listening to them, pretty sure that is why Father Moony would start yelling and pounding his fist during a sermon.:innocent::whistle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My ex used to relive stuff in his dreams and always talked in his sleep.  He woke me up one night saying "Get that buffer put away, now."   (at the time he was a guard at Ft. Leavenworth, probably supervising a work crew.   When he started waking me up by shaking my shoulder saying "Julie, Julie, wake up." I knew it was time for me to leave him.   (my name is not Julie).

• Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 12:42 AM, jmccr8 said:

Hi Rob

Or put everyone else asleep listening to them, pretty sure that is why Father Moony would start yelling and pounding his fist during a sermon.:innocent::whistle:

I had a professor who talked in a monotone but I found the class interesting.  Most people would fall asleep and one day one woman sitting in front of me fell out of her desk she was so deep asleep.  She got up and walked out, never came back to class.   :lol:

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s something I found strange about talking in my sleep. Maybe I’m not the only one who found this weird.

I had a bad dream my wife was in the dream with me. In my dream we were in a bed and we seen a ghostly shadow down the hall. Then it seen us and came rushing straight at us in light speed I was literally engulfed in this dark shadow. In that split second all I could get out of my mouth in my dream was no! no! no! But my wife woke me up at that very same moment and said I was having a nightmare. She said I kept saying are you ok? are you ok? In a desperate frightened tone. When she woke me up telling me I was talking in my sleep I was certain she was hearing me say no! no! no! She woke me up during that I had no memory of asking if she was ok. It’s just weird like my mind was split and functioning in two ways like a dream on top of a dream. Or one part was watching the other part have a nightmare. 

On 1/10/2022 at 6:22 PM, Desertrat56 said:

My ex used to relive stuff in his dreams and always talked in his sleep.  He woke me up one night saying "Get that buffer put away, now."   (at the time he was a guard at Ft. Leavenworth, probably supervising a work crew.   When he started waking me up by shaking my shoulder saying "Julie, Julie, wake up." I knew it was time for me to leave him.   (my name is not Julie).

I wonder who Julie was? 

9 hours ago, Freez1 said:

I wonder who Julie was? 

Julie was his current mistress.  He was cheating on her with a steady girlfriend and many one night stands.  The guy could not keep his pants zipped.