Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why do people talk in their sleep?

Eldorado

If you’ve ever heard your partner blurt out strange bits of gibberish in the middle of the night, you probably know it can be equal parts jarring and hilarious. In some cases, talking in your sleep just seems like harmless chatter, but it can also be a little disconcerting if your bed partner starts loudly screeching “Why are you doing this to me?” in a high-pitched voice (trust us, it’s terrifying).

While experts and researchers have several theories as to why this happens, Abhinav Singh, M.D., medical director at Indiana Sleep Center and member of the medical review panel for SleepFoundation.org, tells SELF that the most simplified explanation for sleep talking is that your sleep/wake switches aren’t working as efficiently and may be a little sloppy.

https://www.self.com/story/heres-what-it-means-when-you-talk-in-your-sleep?

• Like 1

lol

i do

I know I was on on a family holiday and I was wanting and raving in my sleep but my uncle passed last year used to Andre in his sleep as well sounds in my sleep I've spoke I have work myself speaking in my sleep sometimes I have scared myself sleep by doing it

• Like 2

I wish my wife talked in her sleep rather than when she is awake... :whistle:

• Haha 8

Technically your brain is having a conversation with itself, and the mouth has been activated by mistake.
Women do it while they're awake too. To not seem weird, they'll ask if you agree with them. Just say yes.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

My wife says that I sometimes do sign language in my sleep (both of my parents are deaf, so I am fluent). 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

Many people also sleep in their talk.

Hi Rob

Or put everyone else asleep listening to them, pretty sure that is why Father Moony would start yelling and pounding his fist during a sermon.:innocent::whistle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My ex used to relive stuff in his dreams and always talked in his sleep.  He woke me up one night saying "Get that buffer put away, now."   (at the time he was a guard at Ft. Leavenworth, probably supervising a work crew.   When he started waking me up by shaking my shoulder saying "Julie, Julie, wake up." I knew it was time for me to leave him.   (my name is not Julie).

• Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 12:42 AM, jmccr8 said:

Hi Rob

Or put everyone else asleep listening to them, pretty sure that is why Father Moony would start yelling and pounding his fist during a sermon.:innocent::whistle:

I had a professor who talked in a monotone but I found the class interesting.  Most people would fall asleep and one day one woman sitting in front of me fell out of her desk she was so deep asleep.  She got up and walked out, never came back to class.   :lol:

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s something I found strange about talking in my sleep. Maybe I’m not the only one who found this weird.

I had a bad dream my wife was in the dream with me. In my dream we were in a bed and we seen a ghostly shadow down the hall. Then it seen us and came rushing straight at us in light speed I was literally engulfed in this dark shadow. In that split second all I could get out of my mouth in my dream was no! no! no! But my wife woke me up at that very same moment and said I was having a nightmare. She said I kept saying are you ok? are you ok? In a desperate frightened tone. When she woke me up telling me I was talking in my sleep I was certain she was hearing me say no! no! no! She woke me up during that I had no memory of asking if she was ok. It’s just weird like my mind was split and functioning in two ways like a dream on top of a dream. Or one part was watching the other part have a nightmare. 

On 1/10/2022 at 6:22 PM, Desertrat56 said:

My ex used to relive stuff in his dreams and always talked in his sleep.  He woke me up one night saying "Get that buffer put away, now."   (at the time he was a guard at Ft. Leavenworth, probably supervising a work crew.   When he started waking me up by shaking my shoulder saying "Julie, Julie, wake up." I knew it was time for me to leave him.   (my name is not Julie).

I wonder who Julie was? 

9 hours ago, Freez1 said:

I wonder who Julie was? 

Julie was his current mistress.  He was cheating on her with a steady girlfriend and many one night stands.  The guy could not keep his pants zipped. 

• 1 month later...

When you sleep and dream your mind is at some level aware and mostly disconnects your body from the signals that it your brain is running out in the dream. That means that you are mostly limited to a few twitches and wiggles. According to my wife I kick her but I think that she is making that up.

When I was a kid I had not yet perfected this and was a sleep walker. My Dad put locks on the top of the door after I asked then one night if i could go out and play. They were asleep and didn't understand that I meant right then and so just sort of grunted a "Yeah sure'" So out I went. My Dad heard me slam the door as I went out and after putting on some pants he tracked me down and herded me back to bed.

just as your legs may wiggle and twitch when in your dream you may be running I think sometimes your mouth runs and you bring things our from your dream. In my case these are usually things involved in strong emotional reactions. i almost never have fear based nightmares. Honestly there isn't much in the physical world that I fear. My "nightmares" are frustration dreams. You know, where everything goes totally to crap and everything you touch blows up in your face. Your inner self KNOWS what you fear and what will get to you. I'm not sure what purpose bad dreams serve but they seem to be necessary. Maybe they are used to allow you to let out and vent off the stresses of life that you have no other way to express.

Once I became self-employed the number of these dreams that I had dropped nearly to zero. I no longer had anyone that I hated and really wanted to stomp but had to face and deal with every day at work. I've had some pretty decent bosses but there have been a couple that just seemed to love to ride people into the ground.

I wonder how they would have felt if they knew that they had been looked at through a rifle scope. It wasn't worth it so they survived but it made me feel better to know that I held their life in the palm of my hand. I found a new job shortly after that and had the pleasure of putting that boss in the crapper with his boss when I went. I was their number one man and made sure the big boss knew why I was GONE and would NEVER darken their door again.

LOL the boss that liked to ride people wasn't long behind me except he was fired. When I left they had to hire three people to try, UNSUCCESSFULLY, to make up for losing my production. They didn't realize that I was not only their top producer but was also the one that other people came to when there was a production problem because the boss knew NOTHING about any of it. He was just someones son in law. He had no experience, only a college degree in something totally unrelated to what we did.  It is crap like that that makes American companies struggle to compete with the competition frm other places. There are no longer the people on top that having started on the bottom, worked their way up all the way to the top.

Stress brings a lot of things out and talking in your sleep is only one of the signs of potential problems sometimes.

On 1/9/2022 at 9:22 AM, Eldorado said:

If you’ve ever heard your partner blurt out strange bits of gibberish in the middle of the night, you probably know it can be equal parts jarring and hilarious. In some cases, talking in your sleep just seems like harmless chatter, but it can also be a little disconcerting if your bed partner starts loudly screeching “Why are you doing this to me?” in a high-pitched voice (trust us, it’s terrifying).

While experts and researchers have several theories as to why this happens, Abhinav Singh, M.D., medical director at Indiana Sleep Center and member of the medical review panel for SleepFoundation.org, tells SELF that the most simplified explanation for sleep talking is that your sleep/wake switches aren’t working as efficiently and may be a little sloppy.

https://www.self.com/story/heres-what-it-means-when-you-talk-in-your-sleep?

Depends on the individual's neurology and sleep patterns, IMO and experience 

I guess we all speak in our dreams, but usually it's internal dialogue. ie thinking 

Just as when awake, some of us convert the internal dialogue into oral/external dialogue.

I don't talk in my sleep although my wife does but I am always fully conscious while sleeping ie I know I am dreaming and have control over my dreams, I don't consider it sloppy to have the sleep /wake switch turned off, It took me quite a while to learn how to achieve this. 

Ie I see no reason why the human mind can't be "awake"  ie fully conscious, while it is sleeping and dreaming  At it's strongest, this means you can do basic functions like walking, talking, and  moving around safely in the real world,  while maintaining a lucid  dream .  

• Haha 1

this is interesting:

I was moaning in my sleep like I was having a nightmare/ something awful happening.

My wife nudged me to wake me up but in my dream I was happy & laughing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

According to a professor of mine, it's typically because someone is under stress during the day and the act of "sleep talking" functions as a stress reliever. It's not usually an issue to be overly concerned about unless they're chatting away about national security issues or something haha

• Haha 1

My wife was talking in her sleep and I thought she was awake. I nudged her and told her I didn't understand what she said. She looked at me and said, "I was asleep. Besides that was private." I never did figure out what she didn't want me to know.

• Haha 6

A couple of years ago I went out camping with my Dad and unsurprisingly discovered that he yells at people in his sleep :lol:

• Haha 6

Years ago I had an assistant for a senior challenge canoe trip at a summer camp. It got stormy first day out and didn’t have a lot of choices for where to pull up and set camp but did find a spot. That night sometime after midnight she sits up in her sleeping bag paddling like hell yelling at the kids. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One time I had a, uhm, very pleasant dream. But at some point I heard my father, who had died many years before  say, "You better wake up, son". I did indeed wake up, just to see my gf back then to the left of me attentively watching me while leaning on her right elbow.

She left soon after and never returned.

• Haha 1