Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Aussie Police pepper-spray Novak Djokovic supporters

Eldorado

The fans, a number of whom were seen sporting Serbian flags, were seen surrounding a black Mercedes with blacked-out windows, which Carayol reported they believed was transporting Djokovic.

In a clip shared by The Age reporter Paul Sakkal, the fans were shown slowing the vehicle's progress as they surrounded it and one man jumped onto the roof.

"Fans were banging on the window, throwing bottles at the car and two people were jumping up and down on top of it," wrote Sakkal on Twitter.

A video clip shared by Australia's ABC News showed police officers attempting to keep the crowd at bay, before pepper spray was used to disperse the supporters.

MSN

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

Wait, his fans were throwing things at his vehicle?  Why?  Also, if OZ doesn't want him there to compete, why was he allowed to come, anyway?  

I'm curious to see what excuses the government there employ to continue the draconian lockdowns and other over the top measures of control.  It'll also be instructive to see if most of the country is in the throes of Stockholm Syndrome.

• Confused 1

47 minutes ago, and then said:

Wait, his fans were throwing things at his vehicle?  Why?  Also, if OZ doesn't want him there to compete, why was he allowed to come, anyway?  

I'm curious to see what excuses the government there employ to continue the draconian lockdowns and other over the top measures of control.  It'll also be instructive to see if most of the country is in the throes of Stockholm Syndrome.

Yes it’s nationwide Stockholm syndrome. 
(Did someone just cream their trousers? :lol:)

Or more accurately the majority just prefer the way the Aussie leadership did it than most of the rest of the world and were willing to do their bit.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, and then said:

Basically, he’s been playing silly b*****s with thr Oz open for ages. 
We asked about vaccination status, he laughs us off. 
It’s not even “are you vaccinated”, just status. Because we do have protocols to deal with unvaccinated people entering the country (and it’s not to say “no entry”). 
Now he plays “I’ve had the Rona, let me in” card, so we go “sure thing chief”…. Except he lies on the application saying he’s not left Serbia in the designated period (we have his own Instagram photos to prove it). 
Now, we tend to roll our eyes at anti-vaxxers and just get on with our lives. And sportspeople are special and get special treatment here (especially in court). But Novax lied, and we don’t like liars (unless they’re our politicians). So we stick him in passport lockup (where we stick the refugees our government decides we don’t want, but csn’t get rid of legally). 
Basically, if Djoker simply said “Yes” or “no” two months ago hen asked about his vaccination status, he’d have been let in no fuss. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Basically, he’s been playing silly b*****s with thr Oz open for ages. 
We asked about vaccination status, he laughs us off. 
It’s not even “are you vaccinated”, just status. Because we do have protocols to deal with unvaccinated people entering the country (and it’s not to say “no entry”). 
Now he plays “I’ve had the Rona, let me in” card, so we go “sure thing chief”…. Except he lies on the application saying he’s not left Serbia in the designated period (we have his own Instagram photos to prove it). 
Now, we tend to roll our eyes at anti-vaxxers and just get on with our lives. And sportspeople are special and get special treatment here (especially in court). But Novax lied, and we don’t like liars (unless they’re our politicians). So we stick him in passport lockup (where we stick the refugees our government decides we don’t want, but csn’t get rid of legally). 
Basically, if Djoker simply said “Yes” or “no” two months ago hen asked about his vaccination status, he’d have been let in no fuss. 

And the ABF likely has a dictatorial internal affairs division that impinges on a Customs Officer's right to accept bribes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/10/2022 at 7:38 AM, Eldorado said:

"Fans were banging on the window, throwing bottles at the car and two people were jumping up and down on top of it,"

If my fans acted like that jumping on my car and hitting the windows and throwing bottles I would have started dusting knuckles in appreciation.

• Like 1

Novak Djokovic has been detained in Australia ahead of a court hearing that will determine whether the unvaccinated tennis star can stay in the country.

The Serbian faces deportation after his visa was cancelled for a second time, with the government labelling the 34-year-old a threat to public health.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-60004874

On 1/11/2022 at 4:11 PM, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Thanks, I really didn't understand the situation.  I'm not sure about the "wisdom" of the bureaucrat that decided to give him the boot.

"Australia’s immigration minister, Alex Hawke, personally cancelled the unvaccinated world No 1’s visa, arguing his presence in Australia could incite “civil unrest” and encourage others to eschew vaccination against Covid-19."

:rolleyes:  Are your tennis fans THAT rowdy?  

On 1/11/2022 at 1:41 AM, Timothy said:

the majority just prefer the way the Aussie leadership did it

That's nice.  I'm sure you'll all be relieved when those restrictions become unnecessary and everyone can get back to normal :lol:

6 hours ago, and then said:

Thanks, I really didn't understand the situation.  I'm not sure about the "wisdom" of the bureaucrat that decided to give him the boot.

"Australia’s immigration minister, Alex Hawke, personally cancelled the unvaccinated world No 1’s visa, arguing his presence in Australia could incite “civil unrest” and encourage others to eschew vaccination against Covid-19."

:rolleyes:  Are your tennis fans THAT rowdy?  

No, but we do have a government currently desperate to distract from a series of failures,so latching onto this (which seems to have majority support) is their way of redeeming themselves. 

• Like 1

Well, if I had been observing - forcibly or not - restrictions to my normal life and some sports hero seemed to be able to cruise in, play some games and leave with more money than most make in a year or more, I could see being a little peevish, too.  

38 minutes ago, and then said:

Well, if I had been observing - forcibly or not - restrictions to my normal life and some sports hero seemed to be able to cruise in, play some games and leave with more money than most make in a year or more, I could see being a little peevish, too.  

Yes, oddly enough we tend to simply roll our eyes at the special treatment sportsmen (and it’s inevitably men, the sports women are held to higher standards) always seem to get. 
No quarantine. 
Slaps on the wrist by the police. 
Short gaol stays, if any. 
Compliant and complimentary media. 
Free reign to do the sort of things normal people’d be gaol for (like glassing people, or spousal abuse) and instead constantly on the telly “redeeming themselves”. 

Tennis star Novak Djokovic has lost his last-ditch court bid to stay in Australia and is set to be deported.

Judges rejected his appeal after the government cancelled the unvaccinated player's visa for a second time this month on public health grounds.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-60014059

• Like 1