Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Orange-eyed 'O'Hare Mothman' seen at USPS sorting facility

Eldorado

12 minutes ago, CryptoGirl said:

Well I don't think of wings as limbs. What I read they don't have arms but just wings, so this is a bad representation of the mothman.

Bats have no arms, they do have hand like claws inside their wings.   

3 minutes ago, CryptoGirl said:

Did not know that. I recently had a close encounter with a flying can't call it wings lol, creature. It was during day light hours and it flew by really fast like a UFO like in the UFO flies by the drone type thing. It was fast but then slowed down and I thought a squirrel was captured by a bird, but then realized it was a flying squirrel. I didn't even know we had them here, but it was cool to see.

That is such a great observation. Flying squirrels are the most common squirrel but they are nocturnal which is why we rarely see them. I've only seen them at night silhouetted on the tent cloth. That must have been quite an exciting moment. :tu:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stereologist said:

One school of thought is that observers are never wrong and are truthful and 100% accurate therefore there must be a menagerie of odd things to discover. I tend to side with the pragmatic side that suggests people do their best but make mistakes and when we have gaps we fill in the gaps. That's the way our brains work. Don't know about something we observed and the brain fills in the needed unknown.

I have PTSD from a run in with a thunderbird in Texas on the ocean shores. That thing took my arm , hand, and a hot dog into its beak and was bigger than me body size. It was all white with a long neck, narly beak had a close up encounter, and black feathers underneath it in spots. Others around me were screaming, our parents laughed it off thinking it was a pelican or some other large bird. I've never been able to id it. I found large birds like cranes, condos, but never seen this bird before. It was huge and way bigger then me.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CryptoGirl said:

I have PTSD from a run in with a thunderbird in Texas on the ocean shores. That thing took my arm , hand, and a hot dog into its beak and was bigger than me body size. It was all white with a long neck, narly beak had a close up encounter, and black feathers underneath it in spots. Others around me were screaming, our parents laughed it off thinking it was a pelican or some other large bird. I've never been able to id it. I found large birds like cranes, condos, but never seen this bird before. It was huge and way bigger then me.

There are many large ocean going birds. They tend to be white because white feathers are lighter than colored feathers. They make for good flight feathers but are not as tough as black feathers.Birds that have to take off from the ocean have black wing tips because those feathers are better able to withstand the pounding as the wing tip hits the water surface.

Lot of these large pelagic birds have dangerous looking beaks with nasty looking hooks on the end.

https://www.thespruce.com/pelagic-definition-seabirds-386849

https://www.thespruce.com/types-of-seabirds-387306

Not saying that is what you saw, but there are many birds that we can happen upon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stereologist said:

There are many large ocean going birds. They tend to be white because white feathers are lighter than colored feathers. They make for good flight feathers but are not as tough as black feathers.Birds that have to take off from the ocean have black wing tips because those feathers are better able to withstand the pounding as the wing tip hits the water surface.

Lot of these large pelagic birds have dangerous looking beaks with nasty looking hooks on the end.

https://www.thespruce.com/pelagic-definition-seabirds-386849

https://www.thespruce.com/types-of-seabirds-387306

Not saying that is what you saw, but there are many birds that we can happen upon.

Yeah I know been going to filming the different birds where I travel. When ever there is a large shadow I'm freaking though because of the encounter. Here there are a lot of eagles to film but I also came across large crane. Unfortunately I have to be careful when filming because my camera if batteries get low makes a sound that gets their attention and they from high up hiding in clouds will dive bomb. I was taking a photo of a white bird up high in a tree to try and get i.d. it turned out to be a dove, but as I put my lens on the camera a large shadow was above me and of course I'm freaking out, it had a long green tail of feathers, grey long legs with big talons stretched out, and when I saw the wings were black and shaped like bat wings, I tried to film with the lens on. Maybe it was a trick of the clouds but I figure it will probably be back and I'll be able to film it. However there is now an owl hunting cats around here but only at night so watching closely because don't want to mess with one it has um stopped my UFO watching. I should say we have Peacocks here pretty large birds and some years back someone tied a rope around one and anchored it to the ground, unfortunately a dog went to trying to attack it and although it was able to defend itself, it was at a disadvantage with being tied up, so I went to helping it out. I figured this bird was just a peacock flying by, but its size and wings well the clouds can play tricks.

Edited by CryptoGirl

3 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Crypto

It is an imaginary beast and has been morphed since first told about so there will be no accurate description and can be anything people say it is.

Well it certainly has supernatural accounts about it making it sound like its not an animal, but people do that with Sasquatch and Dogmen. When people talk about their accounts their asked if they believe it a real creature or a spiritual one and the response is divided. There are other accounts in different location of Mothman but I can't remember where I seen it from its been so long almost forgot about Mothman.

1 minute ago, CryptoGirl said:

Well it certainly has supernatural accounts about it making it sound like its not an animal, but people do that with Sasquatch and Dogmen. When people talk about their accounts their asked if they believe it a real creature or a spiritual one and the response is divided. There are other accounts in different location of Mothman but I can't remember where I seen it from its been so long almost forgot about Mothman.

Hi Crypto

Yes people have given it supernatural qualities just like they gave a description of what it looked like which does not mean it is real. Personally I don’t believe in ghosts, monsters or Santa Claus or gods but that does not mean that I would reject properly vetted evidence through scientific method 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Crypto

Yes people have given it supernatural qualities just like they gave a description of what it looked like which does not mean it is real. Personally I don’t believe in ghosts, monsters or Santa Claus or gods but that does not mean that I would reject properly vetted evidence through scientific method 

:rolleyes: You had to bunch up Santa Claus with unknown animals, and ghosts, oh harsh, bet that rubs people the wrong way.

I'm trying to tell people you don't have to kill it for people to believe in it, just some form of physical evidence will do so go run up and pull some hair off the creatures , well where ever you can reach.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, CryptoGirl said:

:rolleyes: You had to bunch up Santa Claus with unknown animals, and ghosts, oh harsh, bet that rubs people the wrong way.

I'm trying to tell people you don't have to kill it for people to believe in it, just some form of physical evidence will do so go run up and pull some hair off the creatures , well where ever you can reach.

LOL!  Santa belongs in that list for a lot of people whether you think he is real or not doesn't matter, someone was just pointing out their perspective.  A lot of kids think they have physical proof that Santa is real.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CryptoGirl said:

Hi Crypto

Then nearest monster to where I live and is still some distance from here would be Ogopogo and did live in Kelowna for a while and never saw it but everyone had a tale to tell. It’s not so different then many decades ago when going to the States and people would see the plates on the car when they thought we didn’t have cars up here and I would tell them I lived in an igloo and rode my dogsled to the border where I could rent a car to travel in the States.

People pull peoples legs all the time it’s like a sport up here.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

LOL!  Santa belongs in that list for a lot of people whether you think he is real or not doesn't matter, someone was just pointing out their perspective.  A lot of kids think they have physical proof that Santa is real.

Yeah I all ready know this and why I pointed out it must rub a lot of people the wrong way.

44 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Crypto

Then nearest monster to where I live and is still some distance from here would be Ogopogo and did live in Kelowna for a while and never saw it but everyone had a tale to tell. It’s not so different then many decades ago when going to the States and people would see the plates on the car when they thought we didn’t have cars up here and I would tell them I lived in an igloo and rode my dogsled to the border where I could rent a car to travel in the States.

People pull peoples legs all the time it’s like a sport up here.

Yeah I know about hoaxers but doesn't mean all are. There is this new show came across he is out researching in Brazil for encounters with what they called a Werewolf. He had two different kinds of witnesses though of different creatures but went with the one he wanted. It is a good capture on video of this creature with red fur, dear like legs, and a unique call. I couldn't believe what was seeing looked at first like a deer, but it when in the light close up to them and they got really close ups it was one of the largest wolves out there. So they thought this explained the other sightings of a creature that runs very fast on two legs and all black.

9 minutes ago, CryptoGirl said:

Yeah I all ready know this and why I pointed out it must rub a lot of people the wrong way.

I seems it rubs you the wrong way.  

On 1/11/2022 at 5:13 PM, Eldorado said:

"This thing looked at me for a second or two more and then leaped over the fence behind it and was gone in a few seconds. I must have just stood there frozen in place for at least a minute before I finally started to move. I was left speechless and scared out of my wits.

"I believe that I’m a reasonable God-fearing man, raised to not harm anyone and to not make up any outrageous tales. But I know what I saw that night was flesh and blood and as real as I’m standing here. I had not heard anything about these things being seen around the airport.

"It was not until I told people at the facility what I had just seen that multiple people had told me that they were seen quite often around the airport and that many of them had seen something or another similar to what I had seen."

https://www.phantomsandmonsters.com/2022/01/orange-eyed-ohare-mothman-encountered.html

The great owl fit most mothman sighting. Got charged by one at teen age, it scared the hell out of me, lol.

Great Horned Owl at Night | Owls Eyes Glowing at Night-2652 photo - Stuart  Smith photos at pbase ... | Owl eyes, Night photography, Great horned owl

• Like 4

When you live in the land of make believe, a 3 pound bird can be confused for a 6 foot tall human.

;)

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

When you live in the land of make believe, a 3 pound bird can be confused for a 6 foot tall human.

;)

I don't think one needs to be in the land of make believe for the confusion. For someone calmly looking at or looking for birds, yes, that confusion would be odd. But most of these stories seem to be when folks aren't doing that. So they might be more caught off guard in the moment and able to mistake something for something else. Though the larger owls aren't necessarily heavy, they do have large wingspans and big eyes that can spook if one isn't expecting it. Even for more experienced bird people. For the Chicagoland Mothman in general, it isn't make believe land to think some folks could mistake birds for something more in the heat of the moment. 

I still don't think there are owls in O'Hare proper that are causing the sightings. I do think it could be plausible that owls account for some of the other sightings reported in Chicagoland.

And so a bit back more to the OP and the O'Hare proper area.. There are a whole cluster of sightings there, we all could go through those. 

Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 4.14.53 PM.png

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rashore said:

I don't think one needs to be in the land of make believe for the confusion. For someone calmly looking at or looking for birds, yes, that confusion would be odd. But most of these stories seem to be when folks aren't doing that. So they might be more caught off guard in the moment and able to mistake something for something else. Though the larger owls aren't necessarily heavy, they do have large wingspans and big eyes that can spook if one isn't expecting it. Even for more experienced bird people. For the Chicagoland Mothman in general, it isn't make believe land to think some folks could mistake birds for something more in the heat of the moment. 

I still don't think there are owls in O'Hare proper that are causing the sightings. I do think it could be plausible that owls account for some of the other sightings reported in Chicagoland.

And so a bit back more to the OP and the O'Hare proper area.. There are a whole cluster of sightings there, we all could go through those. 

Rashore, your knowledge base is terrific, and your posts are always food for thought, even if we occasionally disagree :tu:

• Like 3

I still don't think there are owls in O'Hare proper that are causing the sightings.  

Why not?

But most of these stories seem to be when folks aren't doing that.

seems to be?? oh ok then

On 1/21/2022 at 4:17 PM, rashore said:

I still don't think there are owls in O'Hare proper that are causing the sightings. I do think it could be plausible that owls account for some of the other sightings reported in Chicagoland

I read pg 2 why you discount owls for the air port sightings and i get it, makes sense i just dont rule out owls 100% in fact i dont rule out anything except some otherwordly paranormal explanations for the obvious reason.

So then we have a near hot bed of sightings but of just what?

Do witness accounts all seem to be the same type of encounter?

Did any of these witnesses follow thru in other words did they check the spot the alleged creature was at for physical evidence? Any pictures?

One thing an air port has a lot of especially after 911 is cameras seems something could have been caught did witnesses follow up to see if that took place.

Do we have any descriptions more than "eye glow"

And as much as some do not like it we have to discount some witnesses due to things not limited to bandwagon effect, Being mistaken, hallucinations for reasons ranging from being tired to mentally ill, hoaxes,

At least a few sightings have to be legit so since i dont go down rabbit holes of fantasy what known creatures can we rule in and rule out as possible subjects.

5 hours ago, the13bats said:

I read pg 2 why you discount owls for the air port sightings and i get it, makes sense i just dont rule out owls 100% in fact i dont rule out anything except some otherwordly paranormal explanations for the obvious reason.

So then we have a near hot bed of sightings but of just what?

Do witness accounts all seem to be the same type of encounter?

Did any of these witnesses follow thru in other words did they check the spot the alleged creature was at for physical evidence? Any pictures?

One thing an air port has a lot of especially after 911 is cameras seems something could have been caught did witnesses follow up to see if that took place.

Do we have any descriptions more than "eye glow"

And as much as some do not like it we have to discount some witnesses due to things not limited to bandwagon effect, Being mistaken, hallucinations for reasons ranging from being tired to mentally ill, hoaxes,

At least a few sightings have to be legit so since i dont go down rabbit holes of fantasy what known creatures can we rule in and rule out as possible subjects.

The podcast I mentioned goes over the sightings up to that point in time. The sightings even included 2 red lights which were not connected to anything other than being red lights. Another case included a photo which was taken along the main flyway into O'hare. A photo by the researcher matched the photo that was supposedly mothman. It was a plane landing at the airport. Another reports mothman on a 5 story buidling in a neighborhood with max 3 story buildings. The vast majority of the Chicago sightings appear to be questionable reports.

You can the info starting at this post

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/topic/354361-orange-eyed-ohare-mothman-seen-at-usps-sorting-facility/?do=findComment&comment=7340276

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, stereologist said:

The podcast I mentioned goes over the sightings up to that point in time. The sightings even included 2 red lights which were not connected to anything other than being red lights. Another case included a photo which was taken along the main flyway into O'hare. A photo by the researcher matched the photo that was supposedly mothman. It was a plane landing at the airport. Another reports mothman on a 5 story buidling in a neighborhood with max 3 story buildings. The vast majority of the Chicago sightings appear to be questionable reports.

You can the info starting at this post

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/topic/354361-orange-eyed-ohare-mothman-seen-at-usps-sorting-facility/?do=findComment&comment=7340276

I figured as much, thanks.

• The topic was locked