Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Orange-eyed 'O'Hare Mothman' seen at USPS sorting facility

Eldorado

"This thing looked at me for a second or two more and then leaped over the fence behind it and was gone in a few seconds. I must have just stood there frozen in place for at least a minute before I finally started to move. I was left speechless and scared out of my wits.

"I believe that I’m a reasonable God-fearing man, raised to not harm anyone and to not make up any outrageous tales. But I know what I saw that night was flesh and blood and as real as I’m standing here. I had not heard anything about these things being seen around the airport.

"It was not until I told people at the facility what I had just seen that multiple people had told me that they were seen quite often around the airport and that many of them had seen something or another similar to what I had seen."

https://www.phantomsandmonsters.com/2022/01/orange-eyed-ohare-mothman-encountered.html

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

"This thing looked at me for a second or two more and then leaped over the fence behind it and was gone in a few seconds. I must have just stood there frozen in place for at least a minute before I finally started to move. I was left speechless and scared out of my wits.

"I believe that I’m a reasonable God-fearing man, raised to not harm anyone and to not make up any outrageous tales. But I know what I saw that night was flesh and blood and as real as I’m standing here. I had not heard anything about these things being seen around the airport.

"It was not until I told people at the facility what I had just seen that multiple people had told me that they were seen quite often around the airport and that many of them had seen something or another similar to what I had seen."

https://www.phantomsandmonsters.com/2022/01/orange-eyed-ohare-mothman-encountered.html

Did anyone get a photo?  I didn't see on in the link.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

For a long while, the only place where moth man was ever seen was west virginia. then it moved over here to illinois in recent years.

this guy's story is compelling. and he mentions other people that had similar sightings. strange world we live in. As is man the case, 
this story is not provable but it sure is interesting to read because you can compare what he sees to what others say they see. 

good story

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

I don't think so, DR. :-)

the guy said, after the being jumped the fence, that he (himself) stood there dumbfounded for about a minute before he could move. He said nothing about a camera.

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps
  • Like 2

A federal facility next to one of the busiest airports in the country?  Cameras all over the place no doubt.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, OverSword said:

A federal facility next to one of the busiest airports in the country?  Cameras all over the place no doubt.  

No doubt, but who will do the leg work and research?

Just because this USPS worker saw the entity does not necessarily mean he would just love to launch a time consuming investigation over it.
Maybe after being shaken the worker has some kind of aversion. who knows? Also, just how much does that investigation pay? :huh:

9 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

:lol:

5F303C12-E197-4D52-BC13-8627EC8AC13E.jpeg

3E360A22-C1DC-4A34-AD21-59F1D13A9601.jpeg

• Haha 5

Maybe a tall guy in a batman suit, wearing kids night goggles?

60d0c6b2-fc98-4efd-b1b1-d60e242c1560_1.850df4082b657ac24429faab742a0567.thumb.jpeg.74e4234734410c40a22d5804210adc89.jpeg

could have been, @Abramelin but the problem is, these things keep being seen near one america's busiest airports.

and this is not all. O'hare in modern times has had some strange UFO sightings too. The way I look at it is, not everyone can be lying about what they see. My opinion

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

could have been, @Abramelin but the problem is, these things keep being seen near one america's busiest airports.

and this is not all. O'hare in modern times has had some strange UFO sightings too. The way I look at it is, not everyone can be lying about what they see. My opinion

I agree not everyone can be lying, though it is hard to know what they actually saw.   Too many people have bias that skew the way they describe things, also they have fears that trigger misunderstandings of what they see.    And there is the times when what they have seen is expected to be physical but isn't, like the things I have seen.   I don't know what I saw but I know I saw it and sometimes I wasn't alone and everyone saw it.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

I'm not suggesting O'hare was lying, only mistaken.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Too many people have bias that skew the way they describe things, also they have fears that trigger misunderstandings of what they see.  

Yes, this is true and this is why I read accounts closely.

Can people's bias always be the same? I doubt it, so when I see accounts that are congruent with one another, I begin to read that as - they are reporting reality.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Abramelin said:

I'm not suggesting O'hare was lying, only mistaken.

<grin>

O'hare is the airport

• Haha 1

On 1/11/2022 at 4:17 PM, Desertrat56 said:

It's at a USPS sorting facility... and there's security cameras out the wazoo at those places.  I'd bet that if we ran the footage for that night, it might tell a very different tale.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kenemet said:

I'd bet that if we ran the footage for that night, it might tell a very different tale.

And I'd be betting that the USPS worker's account would be sustained. You surmise on prejudice and I be operating under evidence. Ohare is one strange place.

I; "There have been sightings here and there of this huge winged creature but it appears that since 2011 its made Chicago its home. There have been sightings all around the airport and large bodies of water. In 2017 there were 55 sightings of this winged beast in Chicago and the sightings haven't stopped since.
Spooktober: The Mothman of Chicago O’Hare – AirlineGeeks.com

II. 2006 O'Hare International Airport UFO sighting - Wikipedia -  "The Chicago O'Hare UFO sighting occurred on November 7, 2006, around 4:15 p.m. when 12 United Airlines employees and Andres, a witness from Torreon outside the Chicago O'Hare International Airport, reported a UFO sighting"

III. You may also find UFO reports coming out of Ohare in 2011 and 2018. "Numerous UFOs near O’Hare Airport in Chicago, Illinois 13-Feb-2011"
Numerous UFOs near O'Hare Airport in Chicago, Illinois 13-Feb-2011 | Latest UFO sightings (latest-ufo-sightings.net)

55 mothman sightings in 2017 alone. Are they all lying, Kenemet? Several UFO sightings. (3 here), this place is a freek show 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Here's a nice NPR story, discussing the history, going back to 1960's West Virginia. 

The Case Of The Chicago Mothman : NPR  -  
The Chicago region has been experiencing a collective case of the heebie-jeebies in recent years, ever since reports of a giant, flying, winged humanoid began surfacing in 2011.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

And I'd be betting that the USPS worker's account would be sustained. You surmise on prejudice and I be operating under evidence. Ohare is one strange place.

I; "There have been sightings here and there of this huge winged creature but it appears that since 2011 its made Chicago its home. There have been sightings all around the airport and large bodies of water. In 2017 there were 55 sightings of this winged beast in Chicago and the sightings haven't stopped since.

II. 2006 O'Hare International Airport UFO sighting - Wikipedia -  "The Chicago O'Hare UFO sighting occurred on November 7, 2006, around 4:15 p.m. when 12 United Airlines employees and Andres, a witness from Torreon outside the Chicago O'Hare International Airport, reported a UFO sighting"

III. You may also find UFO reports coming out of Ohare in 2011 and 2018. "Numerous UFOs near O’Hare Airport in Chicago, Illinois 13-Feb-2011"
Numerous UFOs near O'Hare Airport in Chicago, Illinois 13-Feb-2011 | Latest UFO sightings (latest-ufo-sightings.net)

55 mothman sightings in 2017 alone. Are they all lying, Kenemet? Several UFO sightings. (3 here), this place is a freek show 

I think they see something, yes, and are identifying it as "Mothman."  I do not think that Mothman teleports from Virginia to New York City occasionally just to see "Hamilton" or "Cats" or some such.  Nor do I think that there's a whole colony of them living in the sewers in Virginia and New York.

And I think cameras would show that it wasn't the monster invented in 1966.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

I think they see something, yes, and are identifying it as "Mothman."  I do not think that Mothman teleports from Virginia to New York City occasionally just to see "Hamilton" or "Cats" or some such.  Nor do I think that there's a whole colony of them living in the sewers in Virginia and New York.

And I think cameras would show that it wasn't the monster invented in 1966.

You think they see something...? wow, that is a rare admittal for UM skeptics. 

And just as an aside, it is West Virginia, not Virginia, and it is Chicago, not New York City.  Have a good one.

Just another story for the gullible.

Mothman wasnt ever real to start with, it was a nothing tale some party kids made up then stirred into a frenzy of "me toos" by an eccentric beatnik writer.

People see creaters that they dont know what it really is that far from makes its paranormal and its unknown only to that witness,

Oh, and glowing red eyes? Yes, all creatures give off eye shine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, the13bats said:

Just another story for the gullible.

Mothman wasnt ever real to start with, it was a nothing tale some party kids made up then stirred into a frenzy of "me toos" by an eccentric beatnik writer.

People see creaters that they dont know what it really is that far from makes its paranormal and its unknown only to that witness,

Oh, and glowing red eyes? Yes, all creatures give off eye shine.

Humans don't, and some primates... I think other animals like, pigs and squirrels don't... but I may be wrong? 

18 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

There has been a lot of sightings around Chicagoland for several years. Not just O'Hare. Not sure what all they are. Some of the places/sightings I think are mistaken bird sightings because of where they are. Some might be humans being mistaken for other. Not sure what has been causing so many of them around O'Hare. Birds aren't hanging out there like in the green zones. Humans and random debris like garbage bags can only account for so much. A few of them I kind of have to question just because they just stretch credibility too much, like some of the long distance sightings or in places where just the configuration of the area lends to a no. 

Something kind of interesting to me is who is reporting these sightings compared to who's not. It's pretty much all local folks and workers, and not so much out of travelers. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rashore said:

Humans and random debris like garbage bags can only account for so much.

Concurred. I think it is natural to try and apply things we know of to the situation to see if we can make it work that way, but just because birds
and humans *could* explain an event, does not mean that they did. I look at the big picture, the before and after a certain date. BTW, good post, rashore, I enjoy it.

A few of them I kind of have to question just because they just stretch credibility too much, like some of the long distance sightings or in places where just the configuration of the area lends to a no. 

That's fine. This stuff is so weird that I cannot blame anyone from steering away from it.

Something kind of interesting to me is who is reporting these sightings compared to who's not. It's pretty much all local folks and workers, and not so much out of travelers. 

That is a thinking point, Rashore. Interesting. All local people do the reports. 

I truly believe that there is enough evidence over the years to warrant in investigation, - something like a government grant to independent investigators.
A few $Mill...? pfffft. minor detail. What I suspect here is an interdimensional character. My opinion. But something has to explain it all. It seems that the Chicago
Great Lakes region was completely free of these weird incidents until a certain date... and then it has been the occasional event ever since. 55 reports in one year? 
Then you have to wonder about how many times this creature(?) was seen but never reported out of embarrassment or fear. 

rashore, I enjoyed the banter. :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Great Lakes region was completely free of these weird incidents until a certain date... and then it has been the occasional event ever since. 55 reports in one year? 

Hi Earl

There is more than bigfoot up north,

some people think that Nessie is the same creature that travels through underground waterways to both locations.

https://www.livescience.com/42399-ogopogo.html

Early Indian legends

There are dozens of reputed lake monsters around the world, but what makes Ogopogo especially interesting is its previous incarnation, according to legend, as a bloodthirsty killer. Ogopogo, some believe, has its roots in native Canadian Indian legends of a beast called N'ha-a-itk (also spelled Naitaka) that would demand a live sacrifice from travelers for safe passage across Lake Okanagan. Hundreds of years ago, whenever Indians would venture into the lake, they brought chickens or other small animals to kill and drop into the water to assure a safe journey.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Earl

There is more than bigfoot up north,

some people think that Nessie is the same creature that travels through underground waterways to both locations.

https://www.livescience.com/42399-ogopogo.html

Early Indian legends

There are dozens of reputed lake monsters around the world, but what makes Ogopogo especially interesting is its previous incarnation, according to legend, as a bloodthirsty killer. Ogopogo, some believe, has its roots in native Canadian Indian legends of a beast called N'ha-a-itk (also spelled Naitaka) that would demand a live sacrifice from travelers for safe passage across Lake Okanagan. Hundreds of years ago, whenever Indians would venture into the lake, they brought chickens or other small animals to kill and drop into the water to assure a safe journey.

Heh, that's west by northwest there. A bit north of Seattle rather than the Great Lakes region. 

Spooky lore more to the Chicagoland area and that whole quad-state sweep tends more to ghosts of various types, witches/witch graves, cursed roads and bridges, werewolves and beasts, bigfoot, vortexes, wee folk, UFOs, satanists, and nefarious/demonic people. That last one is more folklore based off the variety of serial killers and mafia activity of the region lending to a whole lot of tales. Even the occasional thunderbird sighting. Some crazy wild men of the woods.

Mothman really does seem to be new to the area. Something caused it to move from it's warmer home. It isn't a more typical translocating lore- the original area is still there and still is active, so no need to move. There isn't any apparent conflagration event to cause a lore jump like that. It does not seem to be a lore mutation, other flappy cryptids are still of the lore of the area. The angel/angelic ghost sorts of stories of people with wings haven't really shifted lore. There wasn't any movies being filmed to trigger it. It might be an internet spawning akin to slender man. 

• Like 3

• The topic was locked