Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghosts

docyabut2

9 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Its easy...a person is called out to present proof of their ridiculous rubbish and knowing they cant they fall back on spewing its beyond our understanding.

I don't think anyone has been asked.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I don't think anyone has been asked.

Perhaps not in this thread but....

12 hours ago, moonman said:

The whole theory of intelligent ghosts having "powers" they can control is destroyed by one simple question that believers cannot answer.

Pretend it is you. You just died and are now a ghost. HOW are YOU going to know how to do all the crap that is attributed to ghosts? How are YOU going to control radio waves to communicate through a ghost box? How are YOU going to appear and disappear at will? How are YOU going to know how to do anything you can't already do with a body?

Once you put yourself into the equation, you realize just how nonsensical it is.

No one can answer those questions until/if/when they become a ghost.  Myself, I would not hang around unless I was murdered, then I would hang around and figure out how to do all those things.

11 hours ago, Guyver said:

Ghosts could be real.  No doubt about it.  What they are may not be ghosts as we think of them, however.  FWIW.

Yep, we have never had enough information and understanding to insist anything is impossible.

• Like 1

I wouldn't want to hang around even if I was murdered. Ghosts are kind of depressing when you think about it. Amongst notions of afterlife or no afterlife, ghosts are trapped between that and the living. What a horrible thing to have to endure, endlessly trapped in the in-between. And rather tossed up as to if or why a ghost happens, anyone apparently could get trapped like that for all sorts of reasons, or not for those reasons. Purgatory for random reasons that may be reason enough or not to trap your soul in a ghostly way. 

I realize there might be an uplifting notion to a ghost figuring it out and moving on... but the ick behind why they are a ghost in the first place makes me wonder sometimes why some of us are hopeful that's happening to people.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rashore said:

I wouldn't want to hang around even if I was murdered. Ghosts are kind of depressing when you think about it. Amongst notions of afterlife or no afterlife, ghosts are trapped between that and the living. What a horrible thing to have to endure, endlessly trapped in the in-between. And rather tossed up as to if or why a ghost happens, anyone apparently could get trapped like that for all sorts of reasons, or not for those reasons. Purgatory for random reasons that may be reason enough or not to trap your soul in a ghostly way. 

I realize there might be an uplifting notion to a ghost figuring it out and moving on... but the ick behind why they are a ghost in the first place makes me wonder sometimes why some of us are hopeful that's happening to people.

I used to belong to a group who practiced sending trapped spirits to the light.   I think it was mostly an ego trip for some and I didn't last long in that group, but I do think I get visited, not by trapped spirits, but by loved ones who have passed and want me to know they are ok.  (the ones who were not ok in this life tend to be the ones who visit once).

9 minutes ago, rashore said:

makes me wonder sometimes why some of us are hopeful that's happening to people.

Simple confirmation of an afterlife. 

• Like 1

Just now, XenoFish said:

Only the rich can buy their way into heaven.

What about that strange bible quote about it being easier for a rich man to pass through the eye of the needle (meaning the gate to the walled city) than to get into heaven?   I paraphrase because the english translation is inaccurate.   I see a lot of people selling tickets to heaven (rich men selling the tickets to poor people) like Oral Roberts, Joel Osteen, Franklin Graham, etc.    It leads me to believe that either heaven isn't real or money is not how you get there.  

4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Only the rich can buy their way into heaven.

Oh, I just thought of another interpretation of rich.  It has nothing to do with money.  It has to do with attitude (rich with compassion, love, kindness, care for others, self love, true friends)

Edited by Desertrat56

2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

What about that strange bible quote about it being easier for a rich man to pass through the eye of the needle (meaning the gate to the walled city) than to get into heaven?   I paraphrase because the english translation is inaccurate.   I see a lot of people selling tickets to heaven (rich men selling the tickets to poor people) like Oral Roberts, Joel Osteen, Franklin Graham, etc.    It leads me to believe that either heaven isn't real or money is not how you get there.  

Kind of the reason I made my comment. God loves his money and if you make a donation, God can fly somewhere he needs to go.

2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Oh, I just thought of another interpretation of rich.  It has nothing to do with money.  It has to do with attitude (rich with compassion, love, kindness, care for others, self love, true friends)

We're all ghost waiting to happen. It honestly looks like nothing matters either way. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Kind of the reason I made my comment. God loves his money and if you make a donation, God can fly somewhere he needs to go.

We're all ghost waiting to happen. It honestly looks like nothing matters either way. 

It sometimes looks like that to me, but it does matter to me personally so that is what I go by, how I feel.   I was trained to have a lot of guilt as a kid and I remember tossing and turning for nights when I was 11 and I went with  my friend to the swimming pool.  I had enough money to get in and we played for a while, then decided to leave, but after we got out, my friends sister wanted us to come back.  She gave me her pool pass through the fence and we went back in.   As an adult I know that was not an evil deed, a little dishonest, but not something that really mattered.   But then it plagued me for months.   I have learned that guilt is a great tool of control, keep people feeling guilty and they cannot be their genuine selves.

Now if I experience guilt it is because I lost my temper and vented towards someone who had nothing to do with my bad mood.   That kind of thing, I think does matter, how we treat others and how we treat ourselves.  The bad mood usually is from not being kind to myself.

10 hours ago, XenoFish said:

You often claim they are "beyond science". Yet apparently can affect the physical world around. It's a contradiction. 

What I say is 'beyond current science's understanding'. So, there's no contradiction.

Just now, papageorge1 said:

What I say is 'beyond current science's understanding'. So, there's no contradiction.

So beyond science.:tu:

Translation: Goal post moved.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

if there are astral bodies why does`nt  everyone see them? especially our love ones that pass away.

Because the astral is in dimensions not directly detectable by three-dimensional physical sight. Those with more sensitive astral senses can indeed 'see dead people'.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

So beyond science.:tu:

Translation: Goal post moved.

Better Translation: Current science doesn't understand everything

7 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Better Translation: Current science doesn't understand everything

Just because it doesn't understand everything, that isn't an excuse for unfounded speculation. It's goalposts moving. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, XenoFish said:

Just because it doesn't understand everything, that isn't an excuse for unfounded speculation. It's goalposts moving. 

It's very reasonable speculation from the experiences of millions and the insights of those claiming psychic clairvoyance into that which is beyond the physical senses.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

It's very reasonable speculation from the experiences of millions and the insights of those claiming psychic clairvoyance into that which is beyond the physical senses.

Not really. A thousand ghost story without a shred of real evidence and charlatan calling themselves "psychic". All you've got is wishful thinking. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Not really. A thousand ghost story without a shred of real evidence and charlatan calling themselves "psychic". All you've got is wishful thinking. 

And: All you got is entrenched negativity.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I've got a whole thread where I got over more realistic explanations of ghost. Has nothing to do with negativity and everything to do with what is, rather what one wishes it would be. 

So don't attempt to paint that picture.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

And that's a bad thing?

Electricity is negative.
Your next Covid test is hopefully also.
The combined amount of ghost evidence is negative.

Negative is good.

• Haha 1

Just now, XenoFish said:

I've got a whole thread where I got over more realistic explanations of ghost. Has nothing to do with negativity and everything to do with what is, rather what one wishes it would be. 

So don't attempt to paint that picture.

Yes, and some of us judge your whole thread to be about explaining only a small minority of paranormal experiences. 

2 minutes ago, zep73 said:

And that's a bad thing?

Electricity is negative.
Your next Covid test is hopefully also.
The combined amount of ghost evidence is negative.

Negative is good.

I happen to feel 'fair-mindedness' is even better!