Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghosts

docyabut2

2 hours ago, Grey Area said:

Now I am unsure how happy I am with classical, intelligent description of a ghost, but there is another phenomenon well known and accepted that matches the description you just gave:  Dark Matter.

It too has an observable effect on the universe, but remains tantalisingly unmeasurable and mysterious.

That's just a fill in excuse.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

Hmm….Mr. Bats. I’ve heard  so much evidence it exceeds zero.

Hi Papa

Evidence isn’t something you hear, it is something tangible that can be studied so if all you got is whispers then yes you have zero evidence 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Papa

Evidence isn’t something you hear, it is something tangible that can be studied so if all you got is whispers then yes you have zero evidence 

Many people have had that conversation with @papageorge1 to no avail.   If he thinks anecdotes are evidence after all this time, why beat a dead horse?   Let him be.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Many people have had that conversation with @papageorge1 to no avail.   If he thinks anecdotes are evidence after all this time, why beat a dead horse?   Let him be.

Because he treats the anecdotes (stories) as proof. Stories are just stories, they might represent a personal subjective experience. They do not offer objective proof. None of them should be treated as evidence.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Because he treats the anecdotes (stories) as proof. Stories are just stories, they might represent a personal subjective experience. They do not offer objective proof. None of them should be treated as evidence.

Its weird ive experenced right on this forum where a guy denounced other peoples stories as bs and mental illness etc but got very very enraged when his own extraordinary claims were taken as just stories.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Hi Desrerat

Because you asked nicely okay, that said I really don't say much to him anyway.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I agree, but it is not useful to say the same thing over and over when you know it is not getting heard.   Why waste the time, and why get bothered.   It is who he is and it isn't going to change.

Just now, Desertrat56 said:

I agree, but it is not useful to say the same thing over and over when you know it is not getting heard.   Why waste the time, and why get bothered.   It is who he is and it isn't going to change.

Most of the time it's for the random reader. Rather than him. To be honest, what isn't a dead horse around here? 

Religion, politics, ufo, etc. Different dead horse, same beat stick.

Many of us know by now he won't or can't change.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Most of the time it's for the random reader. Rather than him. To be honest, what isn't a dead horse around here? 

Religion, politics, ufo, etc. Different dead horse, same beat stick.

Many of us know by now he won't or can't change.

Yes and in some topics each of us is like that, or seems like that.   Though I have learned a lot on this forum from everyone, some by the way I react which shows me my triggers, some by giving me something to think about.   

2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Yes and in some topics each of us is like that, or seems like that.   Though I have learned a lot on this forum from everyone, some by the way I react which shows me my triggers, some by giving me something to think about.   

That's nice. 

9 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Indeed 

I was clarifying what they mean in the real world.

So was I. We consider collections of anecdotes all the time to better understand the real world.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Papa

Evidence can be a collection of experiences for consideration. 'Consideration' implies neither blind acceptance nor blind dismissal. Consideration requires reasoning skills.

2 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Evidence can be a collection of experiences for consideration. 'Consideration' implies neither blind acceptance nor blind dismissal. Consideration requires reasoning skills.

Just now, papageorge1 said:

Evidence can be a collection of experiences for consideration. 'Consideration' implies neither blind acceptance nor blind dismissal. Consideration requires reasoning skills.

Hi Papa

I have been asked not to talk to you so this is will be our last communication.:tu:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Papa

I have been asked not to talk to you so this is will be our last communication.:tu:

Who has that much control over you? But our conversations are repetitive and worthless. So, probably a good thing for me.

19 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

But our conversations are repetitive and worthless.

I think the same thing when I interact with you.:lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I think the same thing when I interact with you.:lol:

Why do it then? Let me guess why; I rattle your false security in your disbelief. You wouldn't bother to interact long with someone who claimed the moon was made of cheese.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Why do it then? Let me guess why; I rattle your false security in your disbelief. You wouldn't bother to interact long with someone who claimed the moon was made of cheese.

Primarily amusement. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Primarily amusement. 

Not believing that answer.

Just now, papageorge1 said:

Not believing that answer.

According to my Xen-O-Meter my comment is 99.9 %factual .1% false. 

Ah, I see....that .1% is just glitch. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, XenoFish said:

That's just a fill in excuse.

I’m not making any excuses, I don’t subscribe to any kind of woo, but my point is valid, as awkward as it may be.

11 minutes ago, Grey Area said:

I’m not making any excuses, I don’t subscribe to any kind of woo, but my point is valid, as awkward as it may be.

Dark energy has become the new 'quantum'. Meaning any explanation for something paranormal can be explain by it. 

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Dark energy has become the new 'quantum'. Meaning any explanation for something paranormal can be explain by it. 

I was referring to dark matter.  We can observe the physical interactions of it, but cannot detect it.

However despite its elusive nature, science takes it very very seriously.

4 minutes ago, Grey Area said:

I was referring to dark matter.  We can observe the physical interactions of it, but cannot detect it.

However despite its elusive nature, science takes it very very seriously.

What I was trying to get across is like the term quantum, the woo crowd uses dark energy as a catch-all. Dark energy = paranormal. 

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

What I was trying to get across is like the term quantum, the woo crowd uses dark energy as a catch-all. Dark energy = paranormal. 

I am quite proudly not part of the woo crowd.

Whatever the ghost phenomenon is, I can’t dismiss it outright for the simple dark-matter comparison.

But I do understand the reaction to the ‘making stuff up’ part of more extreme explanations