Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Parents outraged after school suggests shapewear to tackle body image issues in middle school girls


el midgetron
 Share

Recommended Posts

Quote

One Mississippi middle school's attempt at addressing girls' body image concerns sparked outrage among parents, forcing the school to backtrack. 

Ashley Heun, of Southaven, Mississippi, became angry after her 13-year-old daughter, Caroline, handed her a letter from Southaven Middle School on Tuesday titled, "Why Do Girls Suffer from Body Image?" 

The letter discussed body images issues among females and at the bottom, offered parents the option to consent to their daughters receiving "healthy literature" and shapewear clothing items.

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/shapewear-middle-school-girls-wellness-trnd/index.html

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Agent0range said:

Sooo...can you tell us why they're outraged?  I read the letter, and I don't see the outrage.  

I think it was because they also offered the shapewear clothing items?

It's kind of weird to talk to people about helping body image but then to tell them, look here you can buy clothes that will constrict the shape of your body 

 

Body image issues are a huge issue with teenage girls tho

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, spartan max2 said:

I think it was because they also offered the shapewear clothing items?

It's kind of weird to talk to people about helping body image but then to tell them, look here you can buy clothes that will constrict the shape of your body 

 

Body image issues are a huge issue with teenage girls tho

So they offered parents that live in the poorest state in the nation, OPTIONAL free stuff that might make their daughters feel better about themselves, and they are outraged?  I mean, shapewear is HUGE right now.  You don't think those teenage girls don't want Kim Kardashians Skims?  It just seems silly that an offer of something that might raise the self esteem of someone is met with outrage.  This went to the parents, and not the kids.  I just don't see what there is to be "outraged" about.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Agent0range said:

So they offered parents that live in the poorest state in the nation, OPTIONAL free stuff that might make their daughters feel better about themselves, and they are outraged?  I mean, shapewear is HUGE right now.  You don't think those teenage girls don't want Kim Kardashians Skims?  It just seems silly that an offer of something that might raise the self esteem of someone is met with outrage.  This went to the parents, and not the kids.  I just don't see what there is to be "outraged" about.  

Or they could be upset because they think body positivity equals = telling people to be fat.

 

Who knows. The article didn't really give any details or quotes 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Agent0range said:

Sooo...can you tell us why they're outraged?  I read the letter, and I don't see the outrage.  

Sure, they are probably sane people who don’t believe 13 year olds should be worried about conforming to physical ideals. It’s funny how they start with the issue of a 13 year old’s “body image” and offer a solution that is like “yep you a fat ***” put on some spanks”. Unless they are morbidly obese or something 13 year-olds should be affirmed for who they are, The vast majority of kids (or people) are not going to fit the physical “ideal” and there is nothing wrong with that. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Agent0range said:

So they offered parents that live in the poorest state in the nation, OPTIONAL free stuff that might make their daughters feel better about themselves, and they are outraged?  I mean, shapewear is HUGE right now.  You don't think those teenage girls don't want Kim Kardashians Skims?  It just seems silly that an offer of something that might raise the self esteem of someone is met with outrage.  This went to the parents, and not the kids.  I just don't see what there is to be "outraged" about.  

Do you think it's a good idea to make young teenaged females feel they need to wear clothing to compress their natural shape so they are built more like a Barbie doll?  Seems like that would feed into a bad body image rather than improve.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Send all these people who I'm sure have perfect bodies packing. Celebrate who you are. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have to start looking at encouraging HEALTHY bodies.  Some people have a naturally thin build, others stocky builds.  It is the celebrating of obesity as healthy that is giving children the wrong idea.  Healthy hearts due not having layers of fat surrounding them is what children should be educated about.  Instead, we are told be proud of your size instead of considering what obesity does to body types.   Not just unhealthy hearts; diabetes is on the rise, too. And this comes from someone who suffers from an autoimmune disease.  I am having a heck if a time fighting my thyroid after I gained weight and it is sticking around.  Why anyone would want to be heavy because they prefer to eat what they want and not exercise boggles my mind.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, glorybebe said:

We have to start looking at encouraging HEALTHY bodies.  Some people have a naturally thin build, others stocky builds.  It is the celebrating of obesity as healthy that is giving children the wrong idea.  Healthy hearts due not having layers of fat surrounding them is what children should be educated about.  Instead, we are told be proud of your size instead of considering what obesity does to body types.   Not just unhealthy hearts; diabetes is on the rise, too. And this comes from someone who suffers from an autoimmune disease.  I am having a heck if a time fighting my thyroid after I gained weight and it is sticking around.  Why anyone would want to be heavy because they prefer to eat what they want and not exercise boggles my mind.  

I don't think it is that simple.   I agree, we need to continue to encourage healthy bodies, which includes exercise as well as healthy eating.   I have never seen anything telling anyone to be happy about being fat, not children or grown ups so I don't understand your rant.   There are federal programs in the U.S. that are supposed to make sure elementary school kids get exercise every day.   Budget cuts in school districts all over the country have changed the physical education classes from every day to once a week or not at all in some schools.  The parents should be yelling about that.   

As for the shape wear.   Anyone who is overweight and has tried to wear that is not going to recommend it for 13 year old girls.  I suspect that letter came from a group of men, or some skinny woman who doesn't understand that all 13 year old girls (ALL OF THEM) have body image issues.  It is part of being 13, things start changing and society has such bizarre expectations of the way women should look.  There are very few role models that are healthy and fit and heavier than skeletons.   We could make women athletes more of role models and minimize the actresses and models, who are not good role models for many reasons.   

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I don't think it is that simple.   I agree, we need to continue to encourage healthy bodies, which includes exercise as well as healthy eating.   I have never seen anything telling anyone to be happy about being fat, not children or grown ups so I don't understand your rant. 

   

I don't like the acceptance that has increased in recent years about women who are overweight.  From Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue to all the fashion magazines.  I don't think people should make fun of them, but they shouldn't be celebrated for their unhealthy bodies.

 

image.png.d86b04a0e31d8bbff4e6cd12f158d481.png

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Myles said:

I don't like the acceptance that has increased in recent years about women who are overweight.  From Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue to all the fashion magazines.  I don't think people should make fun of them, but they shouldn't be celebrated for their unhealthy bodies.

 

image.png.d86b04a0e31d8bbff4e6cd12f158d481.png

But you think celebrating skeletal unhealthy women is ok?   Why can't we have a happy  medium?  And Sports Illustrated is selling it's magazine to men not women, so what's up with that?   Maybe men are wanting women with meat on their bones and the sports illustrated editors don't understand what that means.   Honestly, that woman is no less healthy than the skinny models that are usually in that magazine.   Maybe Sports Illustrated should be using althetes as their models.  It would make more sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

Do you think it's a good idea to make young teenaged females feel they need to wear clothing to compress their natural shape so they are built more like a Barbie doll?  Seems like that would feed into a bad body image rather than improve.

Yeah that's what I found bizarre about this story.

 

"You're body is healthy and beautiful the shape it is"

Also,

"Here take these free underclothes to restrict your natural shape" 

Lol

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

We could make women athletes more of role models and minimize the actresses and models, who are not good role models for many reasons.

I definitely agree with that.

Thought I have to say eating disorders in a huge problem with female athletes in some sports like gymnastics and dance

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, spartan max2 said:

Yeah that's what I found bizarre about this story.

 

"You're body is healthy and beautiful the shape it is"

Also,

"Here take these free underclothes to restrict your natural shape" 

Lol

Honestly, judging by ticktok and the like, young women could use a little shame these days :D  It's like we have a society raised by pole dancers.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Yeah that's what I found bizarre about this story.

 

"You're body is healthy and beautiful the shape it is"

Also,

"Here take these free underclothes to restrict your natural shape" 

Lol

That's why I think the letter was written by someone who was never a 13 year old girl, or someone who never had body image issues.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, OverSword said:

Honestly, judging by ticktok and the like, young women could use a little shame these days :D  It's like we have a society raised by pole dancers.

Yeah, but what normal person is on tiktok.  That is what needs to be explained to 13 year olds (boys and girls) - just because it is on tik tok and people think it is funny does not mean you should do it, in fact it means you should probably not do it.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

Yeah, but what normal person is on tiktok.  That is what needs to be explained to 13 year olds (boys and girls) - just because it is on tik tok and people think it is funny does not mean you should do it, in fact it means you should probably not do it.

All of them are lol. All the teenagers. It can't be stopped haha

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

Yeah, but what normal person is on tiktok.  That is what needs to be explained to 13 year olds (boys and girls) - just because it is on tik tok and people think it is funny does not mean you should do it, in fact it means you should probably not do it.

Hard to convince them of that with guys like this becoming tiktok famous and then buying Maserati's (true story these dumb kids got rich)

 

  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, spartan max2 said:

All of them are lol. All the teenagers. It can't be stopped haha

Then parents need to be keeping track of what their teenagers are watching on social media and talk to them about it.  It really does boil down to whether the parents have a clue and actually talk to their kids or not.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Honestly, judging by ticktok and the like, young women could use a little shame these days :D  It's like we have a society raised by pole dancers.

The kids call videos like that "thirst traps."

I can't imagine being a young horny high schooler now in days and seeing your class mates looking like pole dancers on social media all the time :lol: lol.

Adolescent me would probably be jealous :ph34r:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

But you think celebrating skeletal unhealthy women is ok?   Why can't we have a happy  medium?  And Sports Illustrated is selling it's magazine to men not women, so what's up with that?   Maybe men are wanting women with meat on their bones and the sports illustrated editors don't understand what that means.   Honestly, that woman is no less healthy than the skinny models that are usually in that magazine.   Maybe Sports Illustrated should be using althetes as their models.  It would make more sense.

Extremely skinny is unhealthy,.   That model's weight is very unhealthy.   Blood circulation, diabetes and many other issues.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Myles said:

Extremely skinny is unhealthy,.   That model's weight is very unhealthy.   Blood circulation, diabetes and many other issues.  

 

Right.   That is the assumption based on inaccurate medical dogma, but you don't know.   Skinny people get bad circulation, diabetis, heart disease as well.   The problem I have is the double standard, that women are held to higher expectations than men.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Right.   That is the assumption based on inaccurate medical dogma, but you don't know.   Skinny people get bad circulation, diabetis, heart disease as well.   The problem I have is the double standard, that women are held to higher expectations than men.   

No question there.  The model I posted a pic of weighs 245 lbs.   That is very obese for a woman.   Especially one under 6 feet tall.     

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.