Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Parents outraged after school suggests shapewear to tackle body image issues in middle school girls

el midgetron

7 minutes ago, Myles said:

No question there.  The model I posted a pic of weighs 245 lbs.   That is very obese for a woman.   Especially one under 6 feet tall.     

I don't disagree that she is overweight, I disagree that you can tell by anyone's weight what kind of maladies they may suffer from.   Does it actually say her weight in the article from the photo you posted?  And by the way, the Army doctors labeled me obese at 143 pounds when I got my entrance physical.   I was not obese, I may have had about 10 extra pounds on me.  I could out walk and out run anyone in my basic training unit.   So the charts, hopefully, that the doctors use nowadays take more in to account than height and weight.   If a woman who is 5' 5" wears a size 10 shoe she would be skeletal if she weighed 110 pounds.   And muscle weighs more than fat so weight is not a good measure without other factors.

Edited by Desertrat56

2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I don't disagree that she is overweight, I disagree that you can tell by anyone's weight what kind of maladies they may suffer from.   Does it actually say her weight in the article from the photo you posted?

I mean being obese is like with smoking. Like you can't look at a smoker and say if they have lung cancer or COPD. But you know it increases their risk alot. Which is why we try to discourage it 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, spartan max2 said:

I mean being obese is like with smoking. Like you can't look at a smoker and say if they have lung cancer or COPD. But you know it increases their risk alot. Which is why we try to discourage it 

Right, and once a doctor has explained that to a person, it is no one else's business unless it somehow becomes a burden to someone else.

3 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Right, and once a doctor has explained that to a person, it is no one else's business unless it somehow becomes a burden to someone else.

Yeah but to Myles point, because if the health risk we no kong glorify smoking on magazine covers. And just like that we probably shouldn't glorify obesity on sport illustrated covers.

Like I agree that the Paris catwalk girls all have eating disorders and that shouldn't be glorified either 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Yeah but to Myles point, because if the health risk we no kong glorify smoking on magazine covers. And just like that we probably shouldn't glorify obesity on sport illustrated covers.

Like I agree that the Paris catwalk girls all have eating disorders and that shouldn't be glorified either 

I agree with that, that is why I said that particular magazine should only have athletes as their models.   I just don't think the conversation should be about weight, it should be about health.   And to Myles' point, we don't know what health risks anyone has based on a photo.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I don't disagree that she is overweight, I disagree that you can tell by anyone's weight what kind of maladies they may suffer from.   Does it actually say her weight in the article from the photo you posted?  And by the way, the Army doctors labeled me obese at 143 pounds when I got my entrance physical.   I was not obese, I may have had about 10 extra pounds on me.  I could out walk and out run anyone in my basic training unit.   So the charts, hopefully, that the doctors use nowadays take more in to account than height and weight.   If a woman who is 5' 5" wears a size 10 shoe she would be skeletal if she weighed 110 pounds.   And muscle weighs more than fat so weight is not a good measure without other factors.

It's more a case of increased possibilities of the health issues.

1. Excessive weight is also associated with a higher risk of cancers such as prostate, colon, breast,  uterine and kidney. The National Cancer Institute associates 34,000 new cases of cancer in men and 50,000 in women each year with obesity.
  2. Excessive weight is the major risk factor for Type 2 diabetes (also known as adult onset diabetes) because the body gets resistant to insulin, or the hormone responsible for the blood sugar utilization.
  3. If you have excessive weight, you might have elevated cholesterol including “bad” cholesterol responsible for increased risk of cardiovascular decease.
  4. High blood pressure (or hypertension) is also associated with excessive weight.
  5. More weight makes the heart work harder to pump blood, so obesity is associated with heart enlargement (or weakening of heart muscles.)
  6. Blood vessels hardening (or atherosclerosis) are also another common problem caused by excessive weight, which may lead to heart attack.
  7. Fat accumulation around the neck area may cause obstructive sleep apnea, a condition where airways close up during sleep and prevent normal oxygen delivery to the body. This can lead to heart enlargement and premature death. Obstructive sleep apnea can cause symptoms of fatigue and decreased energy. It can also negatively affect concentration and memory. Some of the symptoms of the obstructive sleep apnea can be snoring and persistent desire to take nap during daytime.
  8. Excessive weight can decrease fertility rate or can increase chance of premature birth.
  9. Obesity has been associated with higher rate of osteoarthritis, wear and tear of joints.
  10. Excessive weight leads to heartburn and stomach problems such as constipation, belching, bloating and gallbladder decease.
  11. Obese people are more predisposed to depression (caused by social isolation and lower self-esteem.)
  12. Finally, excessive weight leads to lower life expectancy. According to the National Institute of Health, obesity is the second leading cause of preventable death in the United States, close behind tobacco use. An estimated 300,000 deaths per year are due to obesity epidemic.

Are schools giving shape wear to boys too? What message are we sending kids if we say "fat girls hide your body, fat boys - suck it up"? Where are the plus size male models and why aren't they on the cover of magazines? 

Society has really got weird ideas about body positivity. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Paranoid Android said:

Are schools giving shape wear to boys too? What message are we sending kids if we say "fat girls hide your body, fat boys - suck it up"? Where are the plus size male models? 

Society has really got weird ideas about body positivity. 

I pointed that out too, that there are different expectations for girls and women than for boys and men.    

7 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I pointed that out too, that there are different expectations for girls and women than for boys and men.    

It's becoming acceptable to be fat and woman,  but fat men are ridiculed. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Paranoid Android said:

It's becoming acceptable to be fat and woman,  but fat men are ridiculed. 

Oh, I disagree with that.  I went to a new physician and he wrote a prescription for statin drugs before he ever said hello or why are you here because I am female and 50 pounds overweight.  I know that man would not have treated a man that way for 50 pounds.   I made him do the blood test to prove I had high cholesterol and I did not.    Maybe you think fat men are ridiculed worse than women because you are a man.    Fat people are ridiculed and sometimes it is unjustified.  It is not acceptable to be fat male or female.    It is becoming more common for clothing to be sold using larger models because statistically people are larger than they used to be (due to bad diets from processed food and lack of physical activity) but that doesn't mean you will see very many fat people as heros on television shows, which is where society gets their ideas of what is beautiful and what is not.

Edited by Desertrat56

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

It really comes down to body mass index. A scale only tells a person their weight, it doesn't tell their bmi. The scale says I'm "obese", but my bmi says different. Being 220 lbs of muscle is a lot different that being 220 lbs of fat. There are major health problems that come from being fat. Hypertension, joint issues, diabetes. All of which can be prevented/reversed with just a bit of consistent self-control. I know women have body image issues and men do as well. Which I think has more to do with marketing tactics. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Oh, I disagree with that.  I went to a new physician and he wrote a prescription for statin drugs before he ever said hello or why are you here because I am female and 50 pounds overweight.  I know that man would not have treated a man that way for 50 pounds.   I made him do the blood test to prove I had high cholesterol and I did not.    Maybe you think fat men are ridiculed worse than women because you are a man.    Fat people are ridiculed and sometimes it is unjustified.  It is not acceptable to be fat male or female.    It is becoming more common for clothing to be sold using larger models because statistically people are larger than they used to be (due to bad diets from processed food and lack of physical activity) but that doesn't mean you will see very many fat people as heros on television shows, which is where society gets their ideas of what is beautiful and what is not.

Then why are women like Tess Holiday gracing the cover of swimwear magazines, but I can't even name one fat male model? I'm sure they exist, but do they sit on the front cover of major magazines?  

Anecdote time :) I was on a Facebook meme page, and one of the pages had a picture of a morbidly obese man eating a donut, and a caption - "would you date this man"? Post after post after post, women were ridiculing this guy, saying how no woman would want to date a fat donut eater. At the same time, on the same meme page, someone shared a cartoon of a morbidly obese woman on a mobility scooter eating McDonalds. I can't remember what the caption on that CARTOON was, but some of the same women who were saying "no, I wouldn't date a fat man" were actually making up backstories for this cartoon lady (you don't know her history, how do you know her being in the scooter is related to her weight, why must you assume it's because of the McDonalds....). 

When women are making up excuses for a cartoon fat lady while simultaneously ridiculing real pictures of fat men, don't try and tell me there is not a body positivity double standard happening! 

The double standard is disgusting, it definitely exists.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I don't agree with the be obese like me or the be bulimic like me. Eat healthy and you will be what you are. No one should be mocking anyone because none of us have a replicator body shape. And as you get older, your body shape will change. 

As far as the overweight doughnut eating man, he could be one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet and that skinny one you're chasing has a tendency to get violent. You need to know the person from more than just what they look like. 

• Like 2

Yeah, you' get that body shape when all you have to worry about is the shape of your body.

Others have a life to live.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Paranoid Android said:

Then why are women like Tess Holiday gracing the cover of swimwear magazines, but I can't even name one fat male model? I'm sure they exist, but do they sit on the front cover of major magazines?  

Anecdote time :) I was on a Facebook meme page, and one of the pages had a picture of a morbidly obese man eating a donut, and a caption - "would you date this man"? Post after post after post, women were ridiculing this guy, saying how no woman would want to date a fat donut eater. At the same time, on the same meme page, someone shared a cartoon of a morbidly obese woman on a mobility scooter eating McDonalds. I can't remember what the caption on that CARTOON was, but some of the same women who were saying "no, I wouldn't date a fat man" were actually making up backstories for this cartoon lady (you don't know her history, how do you know her being in the scooter is related to her weight, why must you assume it's because of the McDonalds....). 

When women are making up excuses for a cartoon fat lady while simultaneously ridiculing real pictures of fat men, don't try and tell me there is not a body positivity double standard happening! 

The double standard is disgusting, it definitely exists.

It must have something to do with making money.   I have no clue.  I don't ever look at swimwear magazines, didn't even know they had such.  Are you talking about magazines aimed at men?   Of course you can't name one fat model.   They don't get famous, they just get paid to sell clothing to women who are not skeletons.  Where are you looking at posts of women ridiculing anyone?   Maybe you need to shut that device off and go for a walk, talk to someone face to face.   Those swipe sites are designed to ridicule everyone.  You think men aren't doing the same thing with "Would you want to date this woman"?   Memes are just click bait, they have no reflection of reality.  

AND how do you know those people you are describing really were women.  The internet has all kinds of people pretending for all kinds of reasons to be someone they aren't.   The double standard does exist, but you have been pulled into bizarro world and need to get your head out of it and look around at what is really going on in the real world.  What you describe is not the real world.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

2xsmms.pngworlds-fittest-grandma-body-builder-just

He doesn't look 20 to me.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

It must have something to do with making money.   I have no clue.  I don't ever look at swimwear magazines, didn't even know they had such.  Are you talking about magazines aimed at men?   Of course you can't name one fat model.   They don't get famous, they just get paid to sell clothing to women who are not skeletons.  Where are you looking at posts of women ridiculing anyone?   Maybe you need to shut that device off and go for a walk, talk to someone face to face.   Those swipe sites are designed to ridicule everyone.  You think men aren't doing the same thing with "Would you want to date this woman"?   Memes are just click bait, they have no reflection of reality.  

AND how do you know those people you are describing really were women.  The internet has all kinds of people pretending for all kinds of reasons to be someone they aren't.   The double standard does exist, but you have been pulled into bizarro world and need to get your head out of it and look around at what is really going on in the real world.  What you describe is not the real world.

Excuses, that's all I see. You're justifying why people are treated differently. Back to the point of this thread,  there doesn't seem to be an initiative to give free shape wear to young boys, perhaps consider why that is (you could ask a boy who is mercilessly teased for being overweight why they don't need shape wear). 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Paranoid Android said:

Excuses, that's all I see. You're justifying why people are treated differently. Back to the point of this thread,  there doesn't seem to be an initiative to give free shape wear to young boys, perhaps consider why that is (you could ask a boy who is mercilessly teased for being overweight why they don't need shape wear). 

You are whining about something you think is happening but the only example you give is some meme website, which is not reality.   I am not making excuses, I am telling you how it is and yes there is bias, and double standards for men and women.  Women are held to higher standards than men in some things and men are held to higher standards in others.  If all you have is some magazine published for men, and some meme site to make your complaints about then you need to get your ass off the couch and go take a walk.  Talk to some real people of both genders and of different ages.

• Like 1

"We have a generation of kids who are preoccupied with the way they look, and their self-worth and self-esteem are far too often contingent on their weight or flaws in perceptions of their bodies," Duffy told CNN. "Even in middle school, their physical appearance is on kids' minds almost all the time."

Quoted from the OP's line.

Well duh. We've had this issue for as long as there have been people. I think it's called being a teenager if I remember correctly. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37712104-9121533-image-a-6_1610008717553

mens-health-magazine-nov-2020-cover.jpg?

You won't find ANY men's magazines with overweight models. Seriously just do an image search for "women's health magazine fat". and do the same for men! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Paranoid Android said:

Definitely not healthy.  

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

Yeah, you' get that body shape when all you have to worry about is the shape of your body.

Others have a life to live.

Dedication to one's health can lead to a much more engaging life. I'd rather die functional than crippled. I've got people I don't want end up like. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Paranoid Android said:

mens-health-magazine-nov-2020-cover.jpg?

You won't find ANY men's magazines with overweight models. Seriously just do an image search for "women's health magazine fat". and do the same for men! 

:D 

1642203059926.jpg

• Haha 3