Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

No trace of aliens in 4-billion-year-old Martian meteorite

Eldorado

To date, we've found over a hundred precious Mars rocks that have travelled from the red planet and landed on Earth at some point. Among those, specimen ALH84001 might well be one of the most enigmatic.

This meteorite fragment was picked up during a snowmobile ride in the ice field of Alan Hills in Antarctica in 1984, and is thought to have formed on Mars around 4 billion years ago. Straight away, it was "recognized as the most unusual rock collected" on the trip.

What has especially intrigued scientists since its discovery are the minuscule traces of organic carbon detected as part of the rock's composition. Could this point to early alien life back on Mars all those billions of years ago?

Well, probably not, according to the latest study of the fragment.

MSN

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Eldorado said:

To date, we've found over a hundred precious Mars rocks that have travelled from the red planet and landed on Earth at some point. Among those, specimen ALH84001 might well be one of the most enigmatic.

This meteorite fragment was picked up during a snowmobile ride in the ice field of Alan Hills in Antarctica in 1984, and is thought to have formed on Mars around 4 billion years ago. Straight away, it was "recognized as the most unusual rock collected" on the trip.

What has especially intrigued scientists since its discovery are the minuscule traces of organic carbon detected as part of the rock's composition. Could this point to early alien life back on Mars all those billions of years ago?

MSN

I think life did start on mars but all life was destroyed .it had no  atmosphere to survive because  atmosphere" did destroyed  it  :(

Edited by docyabut2

9 minutes ago, jethrofloyd said:

Isn't it a right time to admit that aliens don't exist? That we are totaly alone in this vast universe. :(

right there is no intelligence in evolution  found out there, 

Edited by docyabut2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jethrofloyd said:

Isn't it a right time to admit that aliens don't exist? That we are totaly alone in this vast universe. :(

Well, it's either true or false, but final results aren't in yet...  And either way, it is wondrous to contemplate.

So far, I'd have to say "Aren't we special..!?" 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Eldorado said:

No trace of aliens in 4-billion-year-old Martian meteorite.

Did they expect to find the keys to a spaceship? :huh:

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

right there is no intelligence in evolution  found out there, 

right.

there is no stupidity found out there either :D

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, jethrofloyd said:

We're only just starting to find out, so it's a bit premature to come to that conclusion.

15 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

I think life did start on mars but all life was destroyed .it had no  atmosphere to survive because  atmosphere" did destroyed  it  :(

My pet theory is, that a grazing asteroid impacted on Mars aeons ago, created the Valles Marineres, and blasted most of Mars' atmosphere from the planet.

The only remnants of that impact would be Mars' moons Phobos and Deimos.

The rubble floated around in the solar system, and some of it fell on earth billions of years ago. Some of that rubble contained early forms of life.

20 hours ago, Eldorado said:

MSN

Well I never expected there to be life on Mars! Could traces of organic life even survive catastrophic events such as such an impact that would cause it to get here to earth? I guess we have our ways but wouldn't it have been mainly cooked? I know people believe it possible organic material could survive such an impact to earth and surviving the entry could seed our planet with life, but thought that just a rare possibility.