Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Immigration to increase by 200,000 per year over next 10 years (Telegraph)

The Silver Shroud

UK amnesty for asylum seekers

While the media is preoccupied with the PM’s boozy social gatherings, Priti Patel let slip an amnesty for illegal immigrants. “Asylum seekers” who have waited more than a year for a decision can now work to help ease the care home recruitment crisis under a rule change. Up to 32,000 asylum seekers who have been waiting more than 12 months are eligible for jobs as care workers after they were added to the Government’s shortage occupation list.

Industry chiefs and government advisers said asylum seekers could play a vital part in plugging gaps in the hard-pressed care sector where there are an estimated 140,000 vacancies, accounting for 10 per cent of the workforce. Care homes are on the brink of collapse, as staff abandon jobs in favour of working in pubs and restaurants, the NHS watchdog has warned.

UKIP

Tory Telegraph (paywalled)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Silver Shroud said:

Except it won't be from the EU:

I'm unsure of the point?  The majority of migrants coming from Europe tend to be transients on their way to the best "paying" social welfare state.  FTR, IMO, anyone who opens their arms to welcome in a culture that literally sucks it dry, then takes it over to dominate its people, is maybe a culture that shouldn't be imported willingly, just sayin'...

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

UK amnesty for asylum seekers

While the media is preoccupied with the PM’s boozy social gatherings, Priti Patel let slip an amnesty for illegal immigrants. “Asylum seekers” who have waited more than a year for a decision can now work to help ease the care home recruitment crisis under a rule change. Up to 32,000 asylum seekers who have been waiting more than 12 months are eligible for jobs as care workers after they were added to the Government’s shortage occupation list.

Industry chiefs and government advisers said asylum seekers could play a vital part in plugging gaps in the hard-pressed care sector where there are an estimated 140,000 vacancies, accounting for 10 per cent of the workforce. Care homes are on the brink of collapse, as staff abandon jobs in favour of working in pubs and restaurants, the NHS watchdog has warned.

UKIP

Tory Telegraph (paywalled)

I can't see an answer, can you? The UK needs immigrants to grow the economy (the average EU workers were net contributers through tax), as well as providing labour for essential services like agriculture and care.

If we close the door to the EU (which we have done), we have to open the door to the rest of the world. I know some farms in Cornwall have managed to recruit staff from the Middle East, but not enough. And the India trade deal, should it be concluded, will result in the granting of thousands of visas, but Indians won't want to work on farms or in care homes- they will want tech jobs. And the UKIP view that employers just need to pay more to attract English workers won't work, as it has been tried last year without success. The English don't want to move to locations where the work is, and they don't like the work anyway, and increased labour costs will lead to businesses going bust and/or chronic inflation.

The only answer I can see is to re-join the Single Market- at least we know that it works, and has been working well for decades.

• Like 1

This Mail article describes a possible solution to the care crisis, if social services take it on board:

While the decision to send a loved one so far from home might be regarded as drastic, relatives say Thailand, with its warm climate and lower cost of living, offers unbeatable standards of care — beyond anything most could afford in the UK, where around one care home place in three is privately funded.

Would YOU send a loved one to live in a care home 6,000 miles away in Thailand? | Daily Mail Online

Edited by The Silver Shroud
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, The Silver Shroud said:

I can't see an answer, can you?

Nope.  We live in a selfish and sexy society.  Changing old people's pads is not sexy.

This is where I hate Government, populations are supposed to naturally decline as they advance. They no longer need large families to look after them by getting food into the house or looking after them in their advance years. Its was discussed for a long time in geography.

Government see this as a problem, I see it as inevitable. But there are a whole host of problems back to the Thatcher years that Gov are doing nothing about - this eats into population growth (lack of welfare and housing). Government see this as a problem because they live off 35% of matters via tax.

There solution? Allow the planet in. Rather than fix things.