Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Profound Discovery on Origins of Life on Earth – Evolution of Metal-Binding Proteins

Grim Reaper 6

Addressing one of the most profoundly unanswered questions in biology, a Rutgers-led team has discovered the structures of proteins that may be responsible for the origins of life in the primordial soup of ancient Earth. The researchers explored how primitive life may have originated on our planet from simple, non-living materials. They asked what properties define life as we know it and concluded that anything alive would have needed to collect and use energy, from sources such as the Sun or hydrothermal vents.

In molecular terms, this would mean that the ability to shuffle electrons was paramount to life. Since the best elements for electron transfer are metals (think standard electrical wires) and most biological activities are carried out by proteins, the researchers decided to explore the combination of the two — that is, proteins that bind metals.

https://scitechdaily.com/profound-discovery-on-origins-of-life-on-earth-evolution-of-metal-binding-proteins/

@eight bits @zep73 Ithink you both will enjoy this it’s amazing!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Manwon Lender said:

Addressing one of the most profoundly unanswered questions in biology, a Rutgers-led team has discovered the structures of proteins that may be responsible for the origins of life in the primordial soup of ancient Earth. The researchers explored how primitive life may have originated on our planet from simple, non-living materials. They asked what properties define life as we know it and concluded that anything alive would have needed to collect and use energy, from sources such as the Sun or hydrothermal vents.

In molecular terms, this would mean that the ability to shuffle electrons was paramount to life. Since the best elements for electron transfer are metals (think standard electrical wires) and most biological activities are carried out by proteins, the researchers decided to explore the combination of the two — that is, proteins that bind metals.

https://scitechdaily.com/profound-discovery-on-origins-of-life-on-earth-evolution-of-metal-binding-proteins/

@eight bits @zep73 Ithink you both will enjoy this it’s amazing!

I was just about to post this topic.

And that's because the first metal-protein compounds I had to think of are haemoglobin and chlorophyl.

8a9f5f8f1aae9c8a5283c9fe581751de.jpg.e90bf875a7d5da8f9a2f7213e806abf7.jpg

Edited by Abramelin
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, Abramelin said:

I was just about to post this topic.

And that's because the first metal-protein compounds I had to think of are haemoglobin and chlorophyl.

8a9f5f8f1aae9c8a5283c9fe581751de.jpg.e90bf875a7d5da8f9a2f7213e806abf7.jpg

It’s a very amazing discovery, at least for me it boogies the Mind!

1 minute ago, Manwon Lender said:

It’s a very amazing discovery, at least for me it boogies the Mind!

Not only thàt, but these metal-protein compounds may antedate DNA...

And then, these 2 metal-protein compounds appear to be the most important compounds for plants and animals.

In short: without hemoglobine and chlorophyll there wouldn't be any plants or animals. Btw., there are sea creatures who have copper instead of iron in their blood cells. Another metal-protein compound.

Well, that's what I have thought since the time I worked as a lab assistent in a Kodak lab, 30+ years ago.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

Not only thàt, but these metal-protein compounds may antedate DNA...

And then, these 2 metal-protein compounds appear to be the most important compounds for plants and animals.

In short: without hemoglobine and chlorophyll there wouldn't be any plants or animals. Btw., there are sea creatures who have copper instead of iron in their blood cells. Another metal-protein compound.

Well, that's what I have thought since the time I worked as a lab assistent in a Kodak lab, 30+ years ago.

I do understand that and you are certainly right, but with a discover like this there is also another possibility life could be created in a lab!:yes: This has been the missing component that could change everything, but I am not certain if it would be good or bad however I lean toward it being bad!:(

3 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

This has been the missing component that could change everything, but I am not certain if it would be good or bad however I lean toward it being bad!

Why?

1 minute ago, Abramelin said:

Why?

Well in my opinion at this point in time some members of mankind will always find a negative way to use something good. In addition I don’t believe we should create a new life form, the subject is very profound and just because something is possible doesn’t mean it’s been given enough thought to do it, sometimes even though we can do it doesn’t mean we shouldI

JIMO

14 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

One of the sea creatures with copper instead of iron in their oxygen carrying protein is this guy:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/article/covid-vaccine-needs-horseshoe-crab-blood

https://phys.org/news/2012-01-horseshoe-crabs-nature-great-survivors.html

5 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Well in my opinion at this point in time some members of mankind will always find a negative way to use something good. In addition I don’t believe we should create a new life form, the subject is very profound and just because something is possible doesn’t mean it’s been given enough thought to do it, sometimes even though we can do it doesn’t mean we shouldI

JIMO

In every 5 posts you tell us you've been in the army, right?

You must have used new and improved arms to kill the enemy.

Fire can be used to cook/bake, and it can be used to set your enemy on fire.

Nuclear energy can be used as a source of energy, and it can be used to kill your ememie.

A gun can be used to kill deer, rabbits, whatever runs or flies around, just to feed you and your family.

You can also use a gun to blast the head off of your neighbour of whom you suspected to have fkd your wife.

I can go on like this for an hour, but I think you've got it by now.

8 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

In every 5 posts you tell us you've been in the army, right?

You must have used new and improved arms to kill the enemy.

Fire can be used to cook/bake, and it can be used to set your enemy on fire.

Nuclear energy can be used as a source of energy, and it can be used to kill your ememie.

A gun can be used to kill deer, rabbits, whatever runs or flies around, just to feed you and your family.

You can also use a gun to blast the head off of your neighbour of whom you suspected to have fkd your wife.

I can go on like this for an hour, but I think you've got it by now.

Please what’s your point, it appears you just have proven what my comments referred to? Sorry, if my bring up the fact I was in the military bothers you, thats all I can relate to, it’s were my life experience comes from along with my experience in almost all things.

So what do you think mankind would do with the power to create life?

25 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

I understand that and I also understand how very very important they are in medical research, I also know they are becoming endangered as species because of that,  thanks for the link!

13 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Something good, something bad.

That's apparently the way things go.

16 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

I would personally use it to seed dead worlds that have to right conditions to harbor life. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

Something good, something bad.

That's apparently the way things go.

Thats hard to disagree with, but like I siad just because it can be done doesn't we are ready to do it.

JIMO

14 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I would personally use it to seed dead worlds that have to right conditions to harbor life. 

That would be a great way to start, that way if things go bad it will not create problems for us. But, if we could create life, would that make us Gods?

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Technically.

Thats kind of spooky isnt it, especially with all the discussions on this forum about the subject!:yes:

21 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Thats kind of spooky isnt it, especially with all the discussions on this forum about the subject!:yes:

Not really. 

37 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Thats hard to disagree with, but like I siad just because it can be done doesn't we are ready to do it.

JIMO

We have always been 'ready to do it'. Or better, we just did.

Just now, Abramelin said:

We have always been 'ready to do it'. Or better, we just did.

Your welcome to your opinion, and I will keep mine on this subject!

2 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Your welcome to your opinion, and I will keep mine on this subject!

I'm ok with your opinion.

I hope you're ok with human history.

2 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

I'm ok with your opinion.

I hope you're ok with human history.

I am ok with human history and i am very familiar with what it has proven.