Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

U.K. unemployment fell to 4.1 percent in December 2021.

L.A.T.1961

"In the three months to November, the unemployment rate fell back almost to where it was before COVID-19 hit, and those reporting they’d recently been made redundant fell to their lowest since records began more than a quarter of a century ago," said Darren Morgan, director of economic statistics at the ONS.

The number of payrolled workers meanwhile jumped 0.6 percent in December from November, the ONS added, which showed an increase of 184,000 jobs.

https://www.politico.eu/article/uk-unemployment-falls-but-cost-of-living-concerns-rise/https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/uk-jobs-picture-robust-omicron-083530290.html

• Like 1

I find some of these figures hard to believe. How is unemployment rate calculated? Is this simply the percentage of people on UC but in no actual work.

4 hours ago, ethereal_scout said:

I find some of these figures hard to believe. How is unemployment rate calculated? Is this simply the percentage of people on UC but in no actual work.

The figures are estimates but generally accepted as close enough to be relevant. 

Opposition parties usually have no problem using the same estimates if they show unemployment going up. 

So not influenced by the government of the day for their own ends. 

I'm surprised we don't have full employment, there is supposed to be tens of thousands of vacanices- 60,000 care home workers, 50,000 HGV drivers, 30,000 agriculture workers, 50,000 customs staff. etc.

1 hour ago, The Silver Shroud said:

I'm surprised we don't have full employment, there is supposed to be tens of thousands of vacanices- 60,000 care home workers, 50,000 HGV drivers, 30,000 agriculture workers, 50,000 customs staff. etc.

Unfortunately, most of those jobs require doing actual work.  And often for less than £500k a year.   Sod that for a game of soldiers!  I'm off to film myself putting on make-up and post it to youtube.  This time next year I'll be a millionaire :D

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, The Silver Shroud said:

You would have to think some of those classed as economical inactive or unemployed do work.

They could well be YouTubers or buy and sell on ebay. Or work in the black economy where cash is king, no tax is payed, and the government have no knowledge of them.