Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Over 60% of adverse reactions to COVID-19 vaccines may just be the nocebo effect

Still Waters

Posted (IP: Staff) ·

According to a new study involving over 45,000 patients, most of the adverse reactions people experienced after having a COVID-19 vaccination could be due to the nocebo effect.

The nocebo effect is a bit like the 'evil twin' of the placebo effect, occurring when a patient experiences negative side effects to a treatment because they're expecting to.

In a meta-analysis of 12 randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trials, a team of researchers at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (BIDMC) in Boston found that up to 64 percent of adverse effects may be attributable to this kind of worry.

The 12 clinical trials studied by the team included a total of 45,380 patients. Of those, 22,802 were given a real vaccine. The remaining 22,578 patients were given a placebo; that is, a harmless substance with no therapeutic value, such as saline. None of the patients knew whether they were given the vaccine or the placebo.

https://www.sciencealert.com/nearly-two-thirds-of-adverse-covid-19-vaccine-reactions-might-be-due-to-the-nocebo-effect

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2788172

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I suspect a person or two I know who had a negative reaction to the vaccine were convincing themselves of how “crappy” they felt. I know people do legitimately experience negative side effects. However in this persons case a history of over reaction and dramatization combined with a convenient excuse to take the day off makes me skeptical .

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Some long covid cases could be caused by the same effect. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"There are no side effects. It's all in your head!"

"A sharp increase in myocarditis is caused by climate change!"

"Abnormal periods in women is caused by "winter vagina"!"

Tell me there are side effects without telling me there are side effects. None of these issues were common two years ago.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Dark_Grey said:

"There are no side effects. It's all in your head!"

"A sharp increase in myocarditis is caused by climate change!"

"Abnormal periods in women is caused by "winter vagina"!"

Tell me there are side effects without telling me there are side effects. None of these issues were common two years ago.

If a tree falls in the forest ...

• Like 1

As I have said since the start of coronavirus: Covid-19 news: Most short-term vaccine symptoms down to nocebo effect | New Scientist

Mass hysteria is known to increase a cytokine storm, in English we are a herd species which take social ques from others around us about an illness being present. This increases our inflammation response.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Covid-19? There is no bull**** about it if you get it the last thing on you’re damn mind is anyone else’s effects from it. The vaccine? Yea I had it it and it makes you sick or least some of us. The first shot was about a day and half of a fever at night a the ****s. The second shot was like this for about four nights. But a week of the ****s in fact a few weeks of just feeling funky. Today I’m fine and still alive 5 months after getting vaccinated. 

No vaccines here, think I had it twice but passed the tests, I dont think the tests are reliable.

Especially not seeing as one person who I lived with caught it and died, and I had a cold that week too, and nope I passed the test.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

No vaccines here, think I had it twice but passed the tests, I dont think the tests are reliable.

Especially not seeing as one person who I lived with caught it and died, and I had a cold that week too, and nope I passed the test.

Or, you know, you had a cold...

• Like 2