Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

“If masks don’t work, then why do surgeons wear them?”

itsnotoutthere

6 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Thanks I thought you missed it and I thought you would enjoy the truth behind the idiot. It’s amazing that some people start threads with nonsense sources like this how do they think they can maintain any credibility do this!:lol: It’s actually a shame that politics to these me people are more important than the truth, I really just don’t get it my friend.

Peace!:tu:

Anti vaxers don't see to notice that their modus operandi is the same approach that flat earthers and creationists use.

Fringe nobody crackpot people, often lying about credentials, misrepresenting them or haven't used them in decades suddenly became world leading professional's. 

They all are refuted by science. They all play the pity card. 

It's amazing that this isn't blatantly obvious to all.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Anti vaxers don't see to notice that their modus operandi is the same approach that flat earthers and creationists use.

Fringe nobody crackpot people, often lying about credentials, misrepresenting them or haven't used them in decades suddenly became world leading professional's. 

They all are refuted by science. They all play the pity card. 

It's amazing that this isn't blatantly obvious to all.

Yes I agree with you completely and I also think this thread should be shut down based upon the source used, but hey what can we do! It’s actually funny though that the others are foolish enough to support anything that is proposed without any thought to the source. It’s a case of the blind leading the blind dam shale but one thing is for certain is they all down together!:lol:

Peace my friend!:tu:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Hugh Mungus said:

Careful now Doug.  No thinking for yourself on masks! It could lead to more deaths through misinformation. You wouldn't want to be cancelled by your tolerant friends would you?

That’s a very rude comment and certainly doesn’t fit. In reality you would do very well to pay attention when he speaks, because you could learn much from him that may certainly prevent you from contracting Covid-19. This is based upon the comments you make and the philosophies concerning this Pandemic your follow!!;)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Myles said:

Are your including all the African American right wing people:whistle:

Yeah, all three of them. 

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, and then said:

You've described a lot of immature adults.  That group isn't limited to one end of the political spectrum and the fact that you seem to believe it does, means you may be one of them.  As for "not doing their part", several small population nations like Israel, Iceland, and Portugal have had more people "do their part" than in most other nations.  In fact, masking, distancing AND vaccination is above 80% in some.  They are still having extensive outbreaks.  I'm sure you'll say that's because the unvaccinated are keeping this virus alive.  

To which statement I will answer, that the incidence of death in dirt poor nations with very limited health care are about the same as the rest of the world.  The CFR has not changed.  Those dying are already suffering from 3-5 co-morbidities, or are elderly with diminished immune systems.  This virus isn't scything through the general population.  It's culling the ill and aged.  BTW, if I turn out to be one of them, I'll be only one more in a group of hundreds of millions who've trod the path before me.  I refuse to leave this world angry or hating people around me because I'm blaming THEM for a naturally(?) occurring disease.  

Portugal COVID - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer (worldometers.info) Portugal is fine, they have some cases, but very few of them are actually serious because they take vaccination seriously

Iceland COVID - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer (worldometers.info) Iceland has had a grand total of 44 deaths, and like all of those where Puffins who are known anti-vaxxers. 

Israel COVID - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer (worldometers.info) Same with Israel, virtually everybody there is fine

Vaccines work, they just do, and the sooner everybody gets them, the sooner hospitals are relieved, and we can get back to normal. And has for 'comorbities' problem, this country specifically is fatter than holy hell because nobody wants to regulate what we feed people. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Long time since I've seen so much 'wrong' in a single post, but could have placed a bet that it would be you. For one, I have been vaccinated and two I do wear a mask when asked to do so, if not for myself, then for the benefit of bedwetters such as yourself.

"the right wing in this country just cannot stand anybody smarter then they are saying they need to do something different."  Well, that might be true but when it's Biden saying it you can sort of understand why people have their doubts.

I realise that 'critical thinking' isn't a strong suit of the liberal left, but since when did they start slavishly giving in to authority. I seem to remember that when Trump had the temerity to close airports to stop the spread of covid you guys went wild & resorted to your 'go-to' victim card & cried racism, & yet :- https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-impose-travel-curbs-eight-southern-african-countries-over-new-covid-19-2021-11-26/  .......but not a peep from you guys. The lack of self awareness and double standards we have come to expect from the left.

Yeah I know, you guys think a stutter equals dementia, it doesn't. Also this goes into details on why Trump's travel ban specifically was a stupid idea: The Facts on Trump's Travel Restrictions - FactCheck.org

The NYC outbreak started when two Americans came back from China and had a business meeting, then it spread from there. Banning Chinese nationals from coming in doesn't fix that. And Biden's was a very temporary thing while we checked on Omicron, it lasted all of two weeks to try and slow the flow. It wasn't designed to stop it, was designed to buy time, and when it got here and we realized it wasn't had bad as other variants, everything popped back open. 

And finally, I'm not a bedwetter. I want the pandemic to be over, and that requires everybody. EVERYBODY to do their goddamn part. The Anti Vaxxer crowd are today's version of World War Food Horders, Draft Dodgers, and so on who are actively sabotaging the war effort. They're slowing down progress and need to stop, and if they won't do it themselves, well that's what mandates are for. Right wing folks need to take these simple steps: get your shot, do your part, and get us over the hill so we can get back to normal, stop being selfish, and stop insisting that your freedom trumps everybody else's. It doesn't, and your freedom comes with /responsibility/. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-impose-travel-curbs-eight-southern-african-countries-over-new-covid-19-2021-11-26/  .......but not a peep from you guys. The lack of self awareness and double standards we have come to expect from the left

Who are thr "you guys"?  I'm not sure we heard much from anyone other than Southern African nations.  Did you post anything about the UK bans?

A friend told me about the ZA greivance that the bans  effectively make then an imternational pariah and the will cease sharing information.  I couldn't find much to confirm it until...

It was another perceived injustice that — alongside persistent disparities in access to COVID-19 vaccines and treatments — prompted calls for governments in the global south to exercise one of the few points of leverage they have left in pursuit of equity: to stop sharing information on the emergence of new COVID-19 strains, including their genomic sequences, or the spread of those that are known within their borders

https://www.devex.com/news/will-whoever-identifies-the-next-covid-19-variant-be-punished-for-it-102477

Look what happens another country doesn't want to share with The West, while you still want to keep the French tradition of Left v Right.

Boring!

• Like 3

Just to provide some balance, a counter article:

https://www.skepticalraptor.com/skepticalraptorblog.php/dr-jim-meehan-is-another-anti-vaccine-physician-who-lacks-credibility/

The author of the piece in the OP is a well known anti-vaxxer who has no professional experience with vaccines or infectious diseases.

Dr. Meehan was trained as an ophthalmologist but is now working on other areas, with an apparent focus on creating electronic tools to handle health problems. He has no expertise or experience in any of the biomedical fields that are related to vaccine research – public health, pediatrics, infectious diseases, virology, microbiology, immunology, or epidemiology.

Just because he is a doctor, doesn't mean he is an expert in everything to do with medicine or that his opinions on this particular matter are gospel.

I think it's important to weigh this up, look at it from both sides, and avoid letting personal bias override objectivity.

• Thanks 8

13 hours ago, aztek said:

they are called  surgery masks for a reason, they are meant to prevent surgeons  from having their body fluids to fall on a person they are operating on. they are not made to prevent infection, viral or bacterial,   those who come up with this argument, "if masks do not work, why do doctors use them" is a clueless moron, who is actually  doing  harm, and spreads medical disinformation

https://www.yalemedicine.org/news/why-doctors-wear-masks

• Like 4

Masks work period and i really thought this silliness would end when trump got fired not im saying there isnt any not saying one wont raise their hand in reply to me but i noticed the only people who didnt want to wear a mask to protect themselves and others no matter what lame weak excuse they cooked up were also trump subjects, even ones who denied being a trumper clearly were,  trump made not masking a thumb to the nose at anyone who didnt bend knee to him, his flock drank it like purple koolaid and i see it is still alive and well, of course must be though for them now that even trump is vaxxed up.

Edited by the13bats
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Masks work period and i really thought this silliness would end when trump got fired not im saying there isnt any not saying one wont raise their hand in reply to me but i noticed the only people who didnt want to wear a mask to protect themselves and others no matter what lame weak excuse they cooked up were also trump subjects, even ones who denied being a trumper clearly were,  trump made not masking a thumb to the nose at anyone who didnt bend knee to him, his flock drank it like purple koolaid and i see it is still alive and well, of course must be though for them now that even trump is vaxxed up.

I think it's best to avoid bringing politics into the discussion - Covid-19 isn't a problem specific to the US or to a specific political party/alignment.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Saru said:

I think it's best to avoid bringing politics into the discussion - Covid-19 isn't a problem specific to the US or to a specific political party/alignment.

Youre right and to clearify i was remarking about what Ive experenced here in the USA.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Autochthon1990 said:

Yeah, all three of them. 

So you are saying all the rest of them are idiot democrats?    You must be.   If someone not getting vaxed is an idiot then it must include all.  

Edited by Myles
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, the13bats said:

You cannot ignore the one's on the left who also do not mask up or get vaccinated.   Can't forget AOC's big party without anyone wearing masks.   Afterword, she tested positive.  I guess she's a Trumper?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Myles said:

You cannot ignore the one's on the left who also do not mask up or get vaccinated.   Can't forget AOC's big party without anyone wearing masks.   Afterword, she tested positive.  I guess she's a Trumper?

I didnt know of that i clearly stated "what i noticed"

And i meant also around here, florida trumps playground.

And we lost count how many super spreader parties trump had

• Like 2

Why care about covid anymore? Not like it's going anywhere and nothing will eliminate it. Might as well get back to living. At least before society collapses from government stupidity. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, the13bats said:

I didnt know of that i clearly stated "what i noticed"

And i meant also around here, florida trumps playground.

And we lost count how many super spreader parties trump had

There is no doubt that the majority of anti-mask and anti-vaccine folks are right leaning.   However, there are still many left leaning folks as well.   Cannot really group them all on one side.  The majority of African Americans lean left and the majority of African Americans are not vaccinated. 

I lean right, but am vaccinated and wear a mask.    

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Why care about covid anymore? Not like it's going anywhere and nothing will eliminate it. Might as well get back to living. At least before society collapses from government stupidity. 

At this point, I completely agree. I just do not care anymore. Wear a mask or don't, get vaxxed or don't, whatever. Time to move on.

Edited by moonman
  • Thanks 2

On 1/19/2022 at 11:53 AM, Dark_Grey said:

In the early days of the pandemic, we were told masks don't work. They don't stop the spread.

Then it changed to only N95 masks are effective

Then it changed to any type of face covering is effective

Then it changed to double face masks are recommended

Then they admitted masks are simply a tool to show compliance with mandates

Then it went back to only N95 masks are effective at preventing the spread and cloth masks are basically useless

Forget the vaccines, this pandemic has exposed the incompetence of health agencies all over the world. Had this been a virus with 30% mortality rate, we would all be dead as a result of following their constantly shifting guidelines. They really don't know what the hell they are talking about and that's very unnerving to me.

As others have pointed out, it seems really not to be about the virus at all. More about just gaining control...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Myles said:

So you are saying all the rest of them are idiot democrats?    You must be.   If someone not getting vaxed is an idiot then it must include all.  

I certainly don’t think the unvaccinated are completely idiots,  but it is a proven fact that they make up 80% of the current mortality rate in the United States. Now I also know your not a Covid-19 or vaccine denier, so you understand the importance of doing everything necessary to keep one’s self safe. The way I see it simple I don’t believe in forced vaccinations at all, however I believe this pandemic is a form of Natural Selection and that those who choose not to adapt because of not getting vaccinated may not survive and honestly it’s their choice and they must deal with the consequences when they watch one their family member die, or they themselves die I don’t feel sorry for them. They have their choice and if life turns out bad for them so be it this vax not vax crap is foolish.:tu: 

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Gummug said:

As others have pointed out, it seems really not to be about the virus at all. More about just gaining control...

No, it's not. Otherwise practically every doctor in the country wouldn't be backing it. Last time I looked, doctors aren't interested in world domination. 

11 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

I certainly don’t think the unvaccinated are completely idiots,  but it is a proven fact that they make up 80% of the current mortality rate in the United States. Now I also know your not a Covid-19 or vaccine denier, so you understand the importance of doing everything necessary to keep one’s self safe. The way I see it simple I don’t believe in forced vaccinations at all, however I believe this pandemic is a form of Natural Selection and that those who choose not to adapt because of not getting vaccinated may not survive and honestly it’s their choice and they must deal with the consequences when they watch one their family member die, or they themselves die I don’t feel sorry for them. They have their choice and if life turns out bad for them so be it this vax not vax crap is foolish.:tu: 

Very well said and again im speaking from my viewpoint in America many anti covid anti vaxxers ani maskers did so because they played follow their leader,

Of course not ever person who decides not to mask or vax is either an idiot or of a political party, however one should think for ones self not follow the waxings of an idiot.

I saw a great post comparing a mask to a rain coat and saying some folks would rather get soaked that sums it up rather well as most people have the common sense not to want to get rained on.

• Thanks 2

Those masks that people wear are useless against airborne viruses.

They do nothing.

There are some high grade masks that would work but that's not what people are asked to wear.

#science

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

36 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Very well said and again im speaking from my viewpoint in America many anti covid anti vaxxers ani maskers did so because they played follow their leader,

Of course not ever person who decides not to mask or vax is either an idiot or of a political party, however one should think for ones self not follow the waxings of an idiot.

I saw a great post comparing a mask to a rain coat and saying some folks would rather get soaked that sums it up rather well as most people have the common sense not to want to get rained on.

Bats thank you for your comments but in reality I only spoke a truth that anyone no matter the political affiliation, or status life should clearly understand. All it takes is to look at what is happening around us, and not using media sources instead of using critical thinking to decide what seems right or wrong. I honestly don’t care about the politics, antivaxer propaganda, Science deniers, or the Pandemic deniers because I use nothing they say to form opinions and beliefs. Bats you are right not all antivaxer or deniers are idiots, but what can be said about those who choose to those beliefs except good luck!:)

You know me well enough to also know I believe in science, so that’s the only information I trust and that’s what my comments are based upon. However, even then critical thinking must still always be used before one decides to follow any information. Everything I comment on is based upon scientific and medical journals on the subject, because I do not trust any media sources when it concerns this Pandemic. I also saw the post comparing a mask to rain coat, I believe I responded to it.

During one of Buddhas lessons he told those who were learning his philosophy the following: Trust and believe nothing even if I say it, first consider the information, then try to understand the information using critical thinking and then and only then decide if you can trust and believe what was said. If people would only do this and not allow other to think for them the spread of this Pandemic could be possibly brought under control!

Peace my brother, thanks again for your thoughts and your kind words!:tu:

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

Those masks that people wear are useless against airborne viruses.

They do nothing.

There are some high grade masks that would work but that's not what people are asked to wear.

#science

What does airborne mean and is this Virus actually airborne?

• Like 1