Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Penguin takes selfie video of its diving and feeding activity

Still Waters

Just in time for Penguin Awareness Day (Thursday, January 20th), the Wildlife Conservation Society's (WCS) Argentina Program has released amazing underwater selfie video recently taken by a male Gentoo penguin fitted with a special camera.

The footage shows the penguin repeatedly diving and twisting through schools of sardines with startling speed and agility. Several times it grabs individual sardines and gobbles them down. Other penguins can also be seen in the distance along with diving cormorants and albatross.

The footage was taken in the Beagle Channel off Isla Martillo, in Tierra del Fuego, Argentina where WCS has supported penguin conservation for more than 20 years.

https://phys.org/news/2022-01-penguin-astounding-selfie-video.html

• Like 1

They strapped a camera to a penguin. Title suggests it did it on purpose. It did not.

I hate misleading titles like that, it's akin to lying.

Edited by moonman

1 hour ago, moonman said:

They strapped a camera to a penguin. Title suggests it did it on purpose. It did not.

I hate misleading titles like that, it's akin to lying.

You think penguins can strap cameras onto themselves?

The title isn't misleading. The penguin is taking a selfie video, and I would have thought the rest was obvious.

• Haha 1

On 1/19/2022 at 3:56 PM, Still Waters said:

You think penguins can strap cameras onto themselves?

The title isn't misleading. The penguin is taking a selfie video, and I would have thought the rest was obvious.

The penguin isn't "taking" anything by choice. When you say someone "takes a selfie" it is understood that they did it on purpose, chose to do it. Posed and clicked a button. Wanted it. I expected to see a video of it somehow activating the camera and photographing itself, yes. Some kind of trained penguin hitting a special pad to activate a camera and perform in front of it. Not that crazy of an idea, really. It was misleading.

This is unintentional bodycam footage. Nobody calls unintentional bodycam footage a "taking a selfie".

"Bodycam footage of a penguin doing this and that" makes a lot more sense - but is ultimately far less attention grabbing.

Edited by moonman

14 hours ago, moonman said:

The penguin isn't "taking" anything by choice. When you say someone "takes a selfie" it is understood that they did it on purpose, chose to do it. Posed and clicked a button. Wanted it. I expected to see a video of it somehow activating the camera and photographing itself, yes. Some kind of trained penguin hitting a special pad to activate a camera and perform in front of it. Not that crazy of an idea, really. It was misleading.

This is unintentional bodycam footage. Nobody calls unintentional bodycam footage a "taking a selfie".

"Bodycam footage of a penguin doing this and that" makes a lot more sense - but is ultimately far less attention grabbing.

The topic title is - 

Penguin takes selfie video of its diving and feeding activity

I don't read that as "taking a selfie" which obviously does mean something else.

The term "selfie video" is in the article text which I also copy and pasted. If you don't agree with their description take it up with the person who wrote it and the website that published it.