Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Jeff Bezos' new startup company aims to cheat death

UM-Bot

Of course he wants to be immortal, so he can be rich forever. Billionaires are the LAST people that should be immortal.

I sincerely hope he throws all his money at it and fails spectacularly.

Edited by moonman

Living longer could cause unforeseen population increases and associated problems. a better endeavor would be how to stop world leaders from using their people as cannon fodder.

6 hours ago, moonman said:

Of course he wants to be immortal, so he can be rich forever. Billionaires are the LAST people that should be immortal.

I sincerely hope he throws all his money at it and fails spectacularly.

I want him to succeed so that I can benefit from it lol

What I find intriguing about this is the number of high level professionals involved, as well as the amount of money being dedicated.

May not reach "immortality", but I'd bet there will be some awesome discoveries along the way. Probably decades from now.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

I want him to succeed so that I can benefit from it lol

You think he wants us pleebs to be able to afford it and be around forever with him? Get real.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, moonman said:

You think he wants us pleebs to be able to afford it and be around forever with him? Get real.

I think he enjoys making money which is what will happen to whatever company figures out ways to increase lifespan 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, equshemonius said:

Living longer could cause unforeseen population increases and associated problems. a better endeavor would be how to stop world leaders from using their people as cannon fodder.

Yep there would need to be world wide birth control to the point that ever seeing a human child again would would be akin to seeing a bigfoot. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Trelane said:

"To cheat death is a power only one has achieved, but if we work together, I know we can discover the secret."

RzOamQ7_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/22/2022 at 11:28 AM, spartan max2 said:

I think he enjoys making money which is what will happen to whatever company figures out ways to increase lifespan 

You're deluded if you think immortality will come in the form of a cheap pill available to the masses. It will cost so much only the elite will be able to afford it - and that will be all according to plan.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, moonman said:

You're deluded if you think immortality will come in the form of a cheap pill available to the masses. It will cost so much only the elite will be able to afford it - and that will be all according to plan.

All things start out expensive and get cheaper over time. Tis the way it goes 

Also humans are way too self centered to not legislate access to that kind of tech 

Edited by spartan max2

22 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Also humans are way too self centered to not legislate access to that kind of tech 

Keep dreaming bro

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

DeBeers did not start giving diamonds away because they are sitting on the biggest diamond mine in the world, they ration them to keep the price up and advertise them as desirable and exclusive.

No matter how much it costs to create or manufacture, the price is set by how much people want it or need it.  How much will the market bear is the only question.

Insulin did not go down in cost . Some people need it to survive.  The inventors made the patent public domain so everybody could afford it.  That didn't work out because drug companies didn't like the arrangement.  How much did the price of an EpiPen go down?   Not a bit.  It cost about $57 when it was invented in 1977 and now can cost $400-500.  No improvements, no added cost to the medicine delivered just a drug company asking how much are you willing to pay to save you life.

Entry level cheap version immortality could be $10 million dollars and there would be plenty of customers.  The full treatment could cost $100 million and there would be plenty of clients for that too. The people at the spa may all be immortal but the chef, wait staff, pool boys, and cleaning lady won't be.  She may not even get a break on the cost of her insulin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/23/2022 at 7:05 PM, Tatetopa said:

DeBeers did not start giving diamonds away because they are sitting on the biggest diamond mine in the world, they ration them to keep the price up and advertise them as desirable and exclusive.

No matter how much it costs to create or manufacture, the price is set by how much people want it or need it.  How much will the market bear is the only question.

Insulin did not go down in cost . Some people need it to survive.  The inventors made the patent public domain so everybody could afford it.  That didn't work out because drug companies didn't like the arrangement.  How much did the price of an EpiPen go down?   Not a bit.  It cost about $57 when it was invented in 1977 and now can cost $400-500.  No improvements, no added cost to the medicine delivered just a drug company asking how much are you willing to pay to save you life.

Entry level cheap version immortality could be $10 million dollars and there would be plenty of customers.  The full treatment could cost $100 million and there would be plenty of clients for that too. The people at the spa may all be immortal but the chef, wait staff, pool boys, and cleaning lady won't be.  She may not even get a break on the cost of her insulin.

Those are some good points.

I guess from my expierence the middle class has basically the same healthcare as the rich here. 

The poor may have a different expierence. 

In terms of tech that increases life, I would assume insurance would be all about that because living people can keep paying premiums. 

In terms of medical debt, if you have forever to pay it off than companies would be happy to loan the money. 

In terms of politics, people are much to selfish to allow rich people to live forever while hogging the tech. People would simply legally take the tech for mass use.

Edited by spartan max2

2 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

In terms of tech that increases life, I would assume insurance would be all about that because living people can keep paying premiums. 

In terms of medical debt, if you have forever to pay it off than companies would be happy to loan the money. 

In terms of politics, people are much to selfish to allow rich people to live forever while hogging the tech. People would simply legally take the tech for mass use.

Some interesting points too.  Now, I am not against extending lifespan.  I would like to live another 200  years or more, I think. 

But you give me something to think about.  Would people spend their centuries working to pay their student loans and medical bills?  

Would people get so tired of it after 50-100 years that their interest and productivity would fall off?

Do 400 year old people have fresh ideas at the same rate as 20 year old people?

How would society change and progress without the constant input of new ideas and energy youth brings?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Some interesting points too.  Now, I am not against extending lifespan.  I would like to live another 200  years or more, I think. 

But you give me something to think about.  Would people spend their centuries working to pay their student loans and medical bills?  

Would people get so tired of it after 50-100 years that their interest and productivity would fall off?

Do 400 year old people have fresh ideas at the same rate as 20 year old people?

How would society change and progress without the constant input of new ideas and energy youth brings?

Sounds like some interesting ideas to explore in a good sci-fi book haha

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Sounds like some interesting ideas to explore in a good sci-fi book haha

yeah, I think it would change society in unpredictable ways, it would be a good topic for a book.

How about very religious people?  Would they object to extending life or find it undesirable to stay in this vale of tears? Would people feel cheated out of walking the streets of heaven paved with gold or getting their 20 virgins?

4 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

yeah, I think it would change society in unpredictable ways, it would be a good topic for a book.

How about very religious people?  Would they object to extending life or find it undesirable to stay in this vale of tears? Would people feel cheated out of walking the streets of heaven paved with gold or getting their 20 virgins?

I feel like religion would react negatively but I think more people would inherently become less religious. 

I feel like it would be more of a process of tech advances than like one magic pill though. Which makes it harder for religion to be against. 

• Like 1