Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dog or coyote? Mystery animal rescued in Pennsylvania

Eldorado

Poor thing, does it have mange?    Those people on that video are stupid acting like they are in JR high.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

• The title was changed to Dog or coyote? Mystery animal rescued in Pennsylvania

It is being treated for mange. Our local news isn't covering this as Fairfield Township is in Crawford County on the Ohio border. It's not far from Lake Erie. It looks like a poor, sick dog. It could have coyote mix as we do have them here in Pennsylvania but I don't think so. 

That stupid news crew is from CBS Boston. Deer? Really?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, susieice said:

It is being treated for mange. Our local news isn't covering this as Fairfield Township is in Crawford County on the Ohio border. It's not far from Lake Erie. It looks like a poor, sick dog. It could have coyote mix as we do have them here in Pennsylvania but I don't think so. 

Usually when dogs get mange that bad they don't survive even if they get treatment.   I hope the dog can heal.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Usually when dogs get mange that bad they don't survive even if they get treatment.   I hope the dog can heal.

I hope it can too. Mange is contagious and since it looks like the dog was probably feral, it may or may not have spread. I think they may look into that too.

• Like 4

A mystery is brewing in western Pennsylvania. A woman rescued an animal in need this week. Now, officials are trying to figure out what kind of animal it is.

Christina Eyth found a mysterious critter outside her home earlier this week. She said it was scared and shivering from the cold.

She thought it could be her neighbor's dog, but she wasn't sure, so she called wildlife experts for help.

https://www.wfmz.com/news/odd-news/unidentified-mystery-animal-baffles-experts/article_0cd37a30-7aa8-11ec-8223-d39cc4157b1f.html

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, jethrofloyd said:

A mystery is brewing in western Pennsylvania. A woman rescued an animal in need this week. Now, officials are trying to figure out what kind of animal it is.

Christina Eyth found a mysterious critter outside her home earlier this week. She said it was scared and shivering from the cold.

She thought it could be her neighbor's dog, but she wasn't sure, so she called wildlife experts for help.

https://www.wfmz.com/news/odd-news/unidentified-mystery-animal-baffles-experts/article_0cd37a30-7aa8-11ec-8223-d39cc4157b1f.html

That’s cool thanks for sharing my friend, please keep us to date and let us know when they find out what it is!:tu:

1 minute ago, Abramelin said:

It's a dog or dog-coyote hybrid.

With mange, too, probably 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, susieice said:

Ive never seen a coydog which I assume it is but it definitely does have some strong deer resemblance in its stature. I can see where they got that idea. It also looks very intelligent.

Wait I watched the video again and got the dogdeer discussion. That isn't the clip i saw the first time where did that clip of it standing up go? That is where it looks deerlike. I couldn't see it being anything other than a coydog though. 

Edited by Nnicolette
  • Like 4

It looks so stressed, sticking its nose like that into the blanket like into the mother's belly. Poor creature, whatever it is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Chaldon said:

It looks so stressed, sticking its nose like that into the blanket like into the mother's belly. Poor creature, whatever it is.

My concern is that it was put into a tiny cage with a blanket and will be held for weeks before anyone even knows what it is... So how do they know how to care for it properly? It definitely looks scared they are probably stressing it to death. Why no talk of what it likes to eat? That would be a pretty huge giveaway as to what it is, had they attempted to feed it properly or put dog food in front of it to see what happens.

Edited by Nnicolette
  • Like 2

Also is anyone else noticing that this news article is everywhere, but there are two clearly different animals being pictured? The picture of the brown coydog in the cage being shown doesn't even resemble the original animal.

Here's a good article with lots of pictures.

https://www.phillyvoice.com/dog-rescue-pennsylvania-wildlife-coyote-mystery-animal/

Pennsylvania has a growing population of wild coywolves, a mixture of species that that has sometimes been spotted in Philadelphia and the surrounding suburbs with greater frequency over the past several years. Another variation on this is the coydog, which is among the mixed canines that research teams study to gain ecology information that helps inform wildlife management.  

The animal rescued in western Pennsylvania doesn't have an especially obvious resemblance to a coywolf, but it's better to wait for the results of genetic testing than it is to speculate at this point. 

The poor guy does look a bit like Wile E. Coyote after Roadrunner has gotten the best of him a handful of times. Fortunately, he's under the care of experts and should emerge from this experience healthier and happier.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, jethrofloyd said:

Chupacabra?

It is a dog with severe mange.  Someone already posted an article that says that.  And I wouldn't watch any news stories that those yahoos talk about, they are idiots.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Whatever he is, he's a beautiful little fella. I'm glad he has people looking after him and a warm place to stay. I hope he's able to have a recovery from the mange, as well.

• Like 5

Q: is it a mandatory job requiremet for news speaker in MA to look like 90s p**nstars?

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, jethrofloyd said:

Chupacabra?

his name happens to be Charlie.... Charlie the Chupacabra. Ive heard he travels with Robert the Doll, but I am not one to spread rumors...lol

It could be sheep in wolves clothing.  Don't trust it.

Too bad its too late to retract my earlier statement. That is an irish wolfhound with mange. It is just a little confusing when they included clips of that small brown coydog. Clearly showing two separate animals.

Edited by Nnicolette

It’s clearly an alien hybrid. Don’t be fooled. 

Who else thought that damn blanket was part of its skin and thought it was half cheetah half coyote?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Koopa High said:

Who else thought that damn blanket was part of its skin and thought it was half cheetah half coyote?

Have you never had a pet?   Those blankets are cheap and easy to wash.