Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Will we need more COVID-19 boosters to end the pandemic?

Grim Reaper 6

Omicron's explosive surge in the U.S. is a painful reminder that the pandemic is far from over. It also raises some questions. Will the pandemic ever end? And will we need more boosters to enter the "endemic" phase of transmission, in which COVID-19 case counts don't break records and hospitals aren't strained? 

"I think many of us working in infectious disease realized that after the first couple of surges, it wouldn't just go away completely, because that's not what viruses like this do," Dr. Shruti Gohil, associate medical director of epidemiology and infection prevention at the University of California, Irvine, told Live Science. The pandemic phase of transmission will end, but to get to an endemic phase faster, we will probably need additional COVID-19 boosters that target different variants and keep the virus from causing large outbreaks, experts told Live Science. Eventually, a yearly or seasonal vaccine may be needed to keep case counts low and to make COVID-19 more of a nuisance than an existential threat — something that, for most people, would be like dealing with the common cold, Gohil 

CDC study found that compared to vaccinated individuals, unvaccinated individuals who recovered from a past infection were 5.49-fold times more likely to get COVID-19 illness.  

https://www.livescience.com/will-we-need-more-covid-19-boosters-to-end-pandemic

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Don't think any here can answer this with any qualified authority.

Edited by quiXilver
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, quiXilver said:

Thank you for answering in a realistic manner and your certainly right, even the Medical Experts are unable to say for certain so with that in mind who here can say one way or the other!

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, quiXilver said:

I agree.  I certainly can't.  BUT, I'll be extremely surprised if our CDC and their Pharma connections decide against pushing more shots.  It has been their only response so far and the word is beginning to get out that therapeutics could have been saving more lives but were shunned, intentionally.  IMO, when the evidence for that is made available to the people, criminal indictments should follow against any and ALL persons in public or private roles who caused those decisions to be taken.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

I don’t know the answer to OP, but I’m looking forward to my 5G speeds going up again after todays booster.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

32 minutes ago, and then said:

I agree.  I certainly can't.  BUT, I'll be extremely surprised if our CDC and their Pharma connections decide against pushing more shots.  It has been their only response so far and the word is beginning to get out that therapeutics could have been saving more lives but were shunned, intentionally.  IMO, when the evidence for that is made available to the people, criminal indictments should follow against any and ALL persons in public or private roles who caused those decisions to be taken.  

I doubt it was shunned, but rather deemed impossible to scale up and too expensive. Vaccines do a pretty good job at a much lower cost, and can be scaled up to any size.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, zep73 said:

I doubt it was shunned,

During the first year of the pandemic, there were none that were recommended, IIRC.  A few were actively denounced and denied to patients without a fight.  People were told to stay at home and only come to the hospital if their symptoms had become late-stage.  MANY died as a result of that.  By the time patients were suffering hypoxemia, (seriously low blood oxygenation) they were already on their way to mechanical ventilation, usually followed by death.

There has been a lot of positive information coming out with regard to ivermectin, including acknowledgment of its efficacy by the U.S. military.  It's STILL being mocked in media.  We each have our opinions but these two points I've mentioned cause me to totally distrust the CDC and medical establishment in general.  Africa and India, due to endemic malaria have long used antivirals and despite a huge disparity in levels of health care in comparison to the West, they suffered no worse outcomes from C-19.  Medically, it made no sense NOT to try to find any medication that could be used, even off-label to slow the pandemic.  They are only now putting in serious study of Ivermectin.  Nah... it's totally justifiable to have doubts about their motives.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

:rolleyes: Oh yes, anti-SARS-CoV-2 monoclonal antibodies are nothing? You know, when they were first introduced in 2020. Because it's Ivermectin or nothing now.:lol:

Concerning the OP, we are hoping the new antiviral pills will reduce the need for covid boosters a few months from now.

Edited by Katniss
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, and then said:

During the first year of the pandemic, there were none that were recommended, IIRC.  A few were actively denounced and denied to patients without a fight.  People were told to stay at home and only come to the hospital if their symptoms had become late-stage.  MANY died as a result of that.  By the time patients were suffering hypoxemia, (seriously low blood oxygenation) they were already on their way to mechanical ventilation, usually followed by death.

There has been a lot of positive information coming out with regard to ivermectin, including acknowledgment of its efficacy by the U.S. military.  It's STILL being mocked in media.  We each have our opinions but these two points I've mentioned cause me to totally distrust the CDC and medical establishment in general.  Africa and India, due to endemic malaria have long used antivirals and despite a huge disparity in levels of health care in comparison to the West, they suffered no worse outcomes from C-19.  Medically, it made no sense NOT to try to find any medication that could be used, even off-label to slow the pandemic.  They are only now putting in serious study of Ivermectin.  Nah... it's totally justifiable to have doubts about their motives.

Truth is there was not much anybody could do, the first 9 months of the pandemic, besides wait for the vaccines to run their trials. But that didn't stop doctors from trying, but with poor outcomes.
Ivermectin is a shameful mess, that has shined a light on the flawed scientific community. How poorly conducted studies and conclusions made it past peer-review, is something it must learn from. It's a scandal. Science itself is not at fault, but fast glory seeking, perhaps desperate scientists are. As a science skeptic, I think you are going to like this article:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/science-is-flawed-covid-19-ivermectin-and-beyond

Nevertheless, Ivermectin is also flawed. It may slow down Covid to a certain non-life-saving degree, but a curing dose is deadly. It would not have saved many late stage patients, but rather killed them. And most of those who were helped by it, might have survived anyway.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Katniss said:

Concerning the OP, we are hoping the new antiviral pills will reduce the need for covid boosters a few months from now.

Are these available to patients yet?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, susieice said:

Are these available to patients yet?

Susieice, yes, but the supplies have been limited so far. With higher populated states and cities getting the most supplies, while less populated states and cities have gotten less supplies. But there are over 10 million antiviral pills being produced right now as we type, and the hope is that they will get distributed everywhere by the end of February, but more likely into March; with more to be distributed later on in spring and summer. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, Katniss said:

Susieice, yes, but the supplies have been limited so far. With higher populated states and cities getting the most supplies, while less populated states and cities have gotten less supplies. But there are over 10 million antiviral pills being produced right now as we type, and the hope is that they will get distributed everywhere by the end of February, but more likely into March; with more to be distributed later on in spring and summer. :)

Thanks Katniss. I have two close friends who, with their families, have all gotten sick since New Years. They're both RNs that I worked with and both of their families got sick too. Seven people in all and all were double vaccinated. I saw where OverSword said the same thing happened to his sister's family.

I just found out two had gotten boosters about 3 weeks before they got sick. A couple had it pretty bad but they were told to take Tylenol and isolate. The one's daughter was pretty sick in bed for several days. They've all recovered now. One more has just gotten sick, she's an LPN, and we'll try to stay in touch with her. Her sister died from Covid in April of 2020. I know more people who are getting sick now than I did back then. I can only think that Omicron is strong in our area right now and is very contagious. Whole families are getting sick. I'm just staying in as much as I can until it slows down.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 3
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, and then said:

Quote: Africa and India, due to endemic malaria have long used antivirals and despite a huge disparity in levels of health care in comparison to the West, they suffered no worse outcomes from C-19. 

Response: What does Malaria have to do with anything related to COVID 19, please explain?

Quote: There has been a lot of positive information coming out with regard to ivermectin, including acknowledgment of its efficacy by the U.S. military.

Response: Your comments that the US Military used Ivermectin to treat US Soldiers is false and disinformation, if you can't produce a reputable source the only conclusion is that you are making this up.

Quote: During the first year of the pandemic, there were none that were recommended, IIRC.  A few were actively denounced and denied to patients without a fight.  People were told to stay at home and only come to the hospital if their symptoms had become late-stage.  MANY died as a result of that.  By the time patients were suffering hypoxemia, (seriously low blood oxygenation) they were already on their way to mechanical ventilation, usually followed by death.

Response: Yes, many did die during the first year of the Pandemic, but most of those deaths were directly do, to President Trumps lack of response in the first 3 months of the outbreak, ( Trump was notified in Mid-November by US Intelligence about the outbreak and the uncontrolled catastrophic effects in China )   and when he began to take actions the infection was already traveling from both the East and West coasts to the Central united States, so it was too little and far too late.

Below are Intelligence reports that show Trump knew about the serious nature of the Pandemic in November and Israel was contacted by the Us during this time frame!!

Intelligence report warned of coronavirus crisis as early as November: 

As far back as late November, U.S. intelligence officials were warning that a contagion was sweeping through China’s Wuhan region, changing the patterns of life and business and posing a threat to the population, according to four sources briefed on the secret reporting. Concerns about what is now known to be the novel coronavirus pandemic were detailed in a November intelligence report by the military's National Center for Medical Intelligence (NCMI), according to two officials familiar with the document’s contents. 

The report was the result of analysis of wire and computer intercepts, coupled with satellite images. It raised alarms because an out-of-control disease would pose a serious threat to U.S. forces in Asia -- forces that depend on the NCMI’s work."Analysts concluded it could be a cataclysmic event," one of the sources said of the NCMI’s report. "It was then briefed multiple times to" the Defense Intelligence Agency, the Pentagon’s Joint Staff and the White House. Wednesday night, the Pentagon issued a statement denying the "product/assessment" existed.( No surprise here ) Intelligence report warned of coronavirus crisis as early as November: Sources - ABC News (go.com)

US alerted Israel, NATO to disease outbreak in China in November

The network said Israeli military officials later in November discussed the possibility of the spread of the virus to the region and how it would affect Israel and neighboring countries.

US intelligence agencies alerted Israel to the coronavirus outbreak in China already in November, Israeli television reported Thursday. According to Channel 12 news, the US intelligence community became aware of the emerging disease in Wuhan in the second week of that month and drew up a classified document. Information on the disease outbreak was not in the public domain at that stage — and was known only apparently to the Chinese government.

US intelligence informed the Trump administration, “which did not deem it of interest, but the report said the Americans also decided to update two allies with the classified document: NATO and Israel, specifically the IDF.

US alerted Israel, NATO to disease outbreak in China in November — TV report | The Times of Israel

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, susieice said:

Thanks Katniss. I have two close friends who, with their families, have all gotten sick since New Years. They're both RNs that I worked with and both of their families got sick too. Seven people in all and all were double vaccinated. I saw where OverSword said the same thing happened to his sister's family.

I just found out two had gotten boosters about 3 weeks before they got sick. A couple had it pretty bad but they were told to take Tylenol and isolate. The one's daughter was pretty sick in bed for several days. They've all recovered now. One more has just gotten sick, she's an LPN, and we'll try to stay in touch with her. Her sister died from Covid in April of 2020. I know more people who are getting sick now than I did back then. I can only think that Omicron is strong in our area right now and is very contagious. Whole families are getting sick. I'm just staying in as much as I can until it slows down.

I'm sorry to hear that about your friends and their families. I can't imagine how bad it was for them, because I only had minor symptoms when I got the Delta variant, but it must have been a nightmare for all of them. :(  

Yes it sounds like Omicron is spreading in your area. Do stay safe, Susieice.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Katniss said:

I'm sorry to hear that about your friends and their families. I can't imagine how bad it was for them, because I only had minor symptoms when I got the Delta variant, but it must have been a nightmare for all of them. :(  

Yes it sounds like Omicron is spreading in your area. Do stay safe, Susieice.

Some of them did only have the cough, runny nose, slight temp. Some were a little sicker with aches and sore throats. It was bad because it was everyone at once. It just went through the families. They're all better now. We'll give Peggy moral support because of what happened with her sister. I'm sure it's working on her but as far as I know, it's minor symptoms at the moment. 

Next week I'll be heading to the store so I'll call and make the appointment to get my booster while I'm there. It's not the mad rush it was in the beginning. I don't go out a lot right now and I double mask when I do.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, susieice said:

Some of them did only have the cough, runny nose, slight temp. Some were a little sicker with aches and sore throats. It was bad because it was everyone at once. It just went through the families. They're all better now. We'll give Peggy moral support because of what happened with her sister. I'm sure it's working on her but as far as I know, it's minor symptoms at the moment. 

Next week I'll be heading to the store so I'll call and make the appointment to get my booster while I'm there. It's not the mad rush it was in the beginning. I don't go out a lot right now and I double mask when I do.

I am also very sorry to hear about yours friends, that a terrible situation especially the situation concerning the lady who didn’t make it my sympathy goes out to her family! Please get your booster, it’s very important especially with this Omicron Variant that’s going around. While the symptoms appear to be more mild according to the information I am finding, it’s ability to surpass the antibody response and the fact that it’s much more infectious than delta still make it something to be concerned about. The booster may make all the difference between infection and preventing an infection while it’s different from person to person based upon the strength of individuals immune systems, the booster may make all the difference.

Take care Susie I hope you stay health and safe!:tu:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Manwon Lender said:

I am also very sorry to hear about yours friends, that a terrible situation especially the situation concerning the lady who didn’t make it my sympathy goes out to her family! Please get your booster, it’s very important especially with this Omicron Variant that’s going around. While the symptoms appear to be more mild according to the information I am finding, it’s ability to surpass the antibody response and the fact that it’s much more infectious than delta still make it something to be concerned about. The booster may make all the difference between infection and preventing an infection while it’s different from person to person based upon the strength of individuals immune systems, the booster may make all the difference.

Take care Susie I hope you stay health and safe!:tu:

I'll get my booster and lay back awhile as long as the virus is this active here. I checked the facility where I used to work and they have 15 employees and 5 residents currently sick with it. This is just crazy. Peggy's sister died at the beginning of the pandemic before anyone really understood it or knew how to treat it. We'll just give her emotional support if she needs it. Memories can be a sad thing sometimes.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, susieice said:

I'll get my booster and lay back awhile as long as the virus is this active here. I checked the facility where I used to work and they have 15 employees and 5 residents currently sick with it. This is just crazy. Peggy's sister died at the beginning of the pandemic before anyone really understood it or knew how to treat it. We'll just give her emotional support if she needs it. Memories can be a sad thing sometimes.

I am glad to hear it Susie, and I realize how memories can be very sad the reason me and my wife moved to Korea was because we lost our daughter in October 2012. We had just had a forever home built in 2009, and it was specially built for our daughters disabilities. But she passed away in her sleep at home, after she passed our home was just not our home anymore. So we sold it and moved to Korea in 2014, so yes I truly understand,  because while you learn to control the pain and sadness it never goes way!:(

Peace Susie!:tu:

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Will the pandemic ever end? And will we need more boosters to enter the "endemic" phase of transmission, in which COVID-19 case counts don't break records and hospitals aren't strained? 

We are building a new wing on the hospital.  In the meantime, university dorm rooms are being used as makeshift hospitals.

Doug

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Omicron's explosive surge in the U.S.

i'm still waiting for the original covid 19 virus to be isolated, because too this date it hasn't been found.   FACT!!

And these tests are still useless.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Dreamer screamer said:

i'm still waiting for the original covid 19 virus to be isolated, because too this date it hasn't been found.   FACT!!

And these tests are still useless.

Yes it has been isolated, it’s being spread by ear mites!:yes:

12 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Yes it has been isolated, it’s being spread by ear mites!:yes:

vibrational ear mites that shout in the ear, "you have covid"...:o    

• Haha 3

55 minutes ago, Dreamer screamer said:

Isolated!  They've sequenced it.  The Chinese did that back in early 2020.  That's better than isolation any day.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/lab/grows-virus-cell-culture.html

First sentence under the heading.

Doug

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

21 hours ago, Timothy said:

I don’t know the answer to OP, but I’m looking forward to my 5G speeds going up again after todays booster.

Yep, a lot of people agree, except maybe those whose flights into the U.S. were delayed or canceled because of the frequencies being too close to the ATC frequencies for navigation.  :w00t:

I can't really imagine how such a long-unfolding process could have "overlooked" something so basic and critical.  

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Katniss said:

Because it's Ivermectin or nothing now.:lol:

I don't mind being mocked, doesn't matter at all but please don't mischaracterize my statement.  I said NOTHING about ivermectin being the only therapeutic that should be used.  The facts are on my side on this, Katniss.  That medication could have been saving some lives and there has been an intentional governmental and media effort to destroy that truth and mock those who are trying to get it out.  NO ONE that I know of is calling it a "CURE".  That's just another strawman.  It IS a valuable anti-viral that, if given prophylactically or in early-onset of Covid-19, has saved lives.  

I recently saw a report of a 70-year-old in Florida who was refused any chance to try ivermectin, even after he'd been on the vent for 28 days.  The man was obviously dying and the doctors had told the family they'd done ALL THEY COULD.  They adamantly refused to even try ivermectin.  Even after the family's attorney agreed to waive responsibility should he die after receiving it.  I'm curious... would YOU do that to a family who knew they were about to lose a loved one?  When there was no doubt left where his case was going to end, would you support NOT trying ivermectin, even if responsibility for his death was waived for the hospital?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1