Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Political untruths

JVG

1 hour ago, JVG said:

Should it be a crime or just a overstatement…

Should the politicians be a crime or considered criminals?   The wording of your sub title is a little weird and the OP is kind of skimpy, an incomplete sentence.  

I have to assume you are asking should we criminalize lies told by politicians or charge them with a crime when they are caught lying.   What jails are we going to put them all in?   Don't you realize ALL politicians lie about something to get votes.  sometimes they don't personally lie, they are told they can do something that they want, they promise it and then after they are elected find out they can't do it.   At the federal level they all knowingly lie, otherwise they would not make it to the federal level.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

@Desertrat56ok you seem to think it’s ok for them to say whatever they want to get elected. I’m only asking if that’s right? If they don’t make it to the federal level than let’s change the agenda…

2 minutes ago, JVG said:

@Desertrat56ok you seem to think it’s ok for them to say whatever they want to get elected. I’m only asking if that’s right? If they don’t make it to the federal level than let’s change the agenda…

I didn't say it was ok, I said that's what they do.  Why do you want to change what I said?   I want to know what jail is going to hold them all.   You didn't specify which politicians you were talking about and so I threw something out there asking if that is what you meant and I also stated my opinion.

@Desertrat56so by saying that’s what they do should be overlooked? Why do I need to clarify what politicians that stretch the truth. It should apply to any politician what ever Party. It’s not a hard topic it’s only asking a question…

3 minutes ago, JVG said:

@Desertrat56so by saying that’s what they do should be overlooked? Why do I need to clarify what politicians that stretch the truth. It should apply to any politician what ever Party. It’s not a hard topic it’s only asking a question…

I didn't say that either, why are you taking what I say out of context.   You are the one who made a comment about my example of federal politicians.  What were you getting at?  If you want conversation or discussion why don't you state your position instead of some incomplete sentence to start.  Are you OK?

• Haha 1

I’m fine and that’s what I got from your reply’s. Like I said it’s not a hard question but its something that I think needs to be looked at. I’m not sure why that offends you…

Just now, JVG said:

I’m fine and that’s what I got from your reply’s. Like I said it’s not a hard question but its something that I think needs to be looked at. I’m not sure why that offends you…

Well I answered it with my opinion.  All politicians lie, so what jail is going to hold them all if we prosecute them for lying?   How do we define which lies are crimes and which aren't?  It isn't really a simple question.

• Like 1

Wow you really are having a hard time with this. Which jail, I think there are plenty out there for any crime it does not have to be a dedicated prison. I’m guessing it could be up to a jury that has been the case for many trials or do you disagree with that…Peace

Most political speech to me, is akin to the sound of traffic, or machinery clattering.  Little meaning aside from sound.

It's usually misdirecting at best, or outright misleading/direct lying at its lower end.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My question is why is this a question? Why have we conditioned ourselves to accept such things? We don't accept when others lie to us, why should politicians be any different? It's sad that we've come to accept it ourselves to think, "that's just the way it is, that's just how they are", which is absolute horse ****

But I think Desert Rat is asking if politicians should be locked up for lies that an ordinary citizen wouldn't be prosecuted for, that is a bit unclear. So should they be held to higher standards or the same as everyone else? 

@Desertrat56 hopefully that's accurate, I don't intend to speak for you 

Edited by HandsomeGorilla
  • Like 2

We already have fact checkers, but republicans ignore them since it could lead to terminal worldview collapse...

It's apparent to me that politicians use tactics on each other to get votes from the public whether if their accusations are true or not.

A third of the country doesn't vote because they don't like the games that politicians play and figure they won't keep their promises.

I always thought more than 2 parties would be better and give people more choices. But most people are binary minded on Dems & GOP.

• Like 1

Is a politician different from a boss lying to employees or a spouse lying to spouse wife or a car salesman lying to a customer.?  Is it different from the promise a roofer makes to fix your roof or a garage to fix your car?  

You get a promise from a politician, you get a contract from a roofer, spelled out and signed. Both parties know what th econtract entails.

Should we have contracts with our Congress people that impose civil penalties instead of criminal ones?  Should a Senator get fined $5 million  for misrepresenting issues?

Could constituents sue a representative for failure to perform their duties?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Autochthon1990 said:

We already have fact checkers, but republicans ignore them since it could lead to terminal worldview collapse...

And your side tells the truth?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I don't think it should always be a crime, but in specific circumstances. It is definately not good for their own soul. As it says in Revelation, "Everyone who loveth and maketh a lie." I understand that as if you lie, then don't love it but hate it. Everyone lies sometimes for reasons, and in rare situations it is right to lie. Those should be situations that you hate though.

Revelation 22

15For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and *****mongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

2 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Is a politician different from a boss lying to employees or a spouse lying to spouse wife or a car salesman lying to a customer.?  Is it different from the promise a roofer makes to fix your roof or a garage to fix your car?  

You get a promise from a politician, you get a contract from a roofer, spelled out and signed. Both parties know what th econtract entails.

Should we have contracts with our Congress people that impose civil penalties instead of criminal ones?  Should a Senator get fined $5 million  for misrepresenting issues?

Could constituents sue a representative for failure to perform their duties?

I think they should be relieved from their position and never allowed to hold any office again. Their only value is to represent the people of the state that voted them into the seat they occupy other than that they serve no purpose. Once they violate their oath they are worth nothing and once they failure to perform their duties they just like the garbage in the nearest trash can and nothing more!:tu:

Peace my friend!:tu:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Autochthon1990 said:

What should be done with lying fact checkers?

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Well I answered it with my opinion.  All politicians lie, so what jail is going to hold them all if we prosecute them for lying?   How do we define which lies are crimes and which aren't?  It isn't really a simple question.

Hi Desertrat

There are special prisons that don't look so bad especially the cabin on an island where you can suntan and go horse back riding.

I think lying as a politician is necessary at times.   Take Bidens statement on Russia invading Ukraine.  You can't tell the truth in something like that- it causes panic and chaos.

Stupid stuff like changing a path of a hurricane with a sharpie probably should be punished, though- along with stuff that leads citizens to riot on your behalf and get themselves killed or arrested.

• Like 2

All politicians are scoundrels.   They all lie, cheat and steal.  An honest politician does not exist.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

along with stuff that leads citizens to riot on your behalf and get themselves killed or arrested.

I assume you are speaking of the democrats who encouraged the rioting, violence and destruction in cities across the country?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Myles said:

I assume you are speaking of the democrats who encouraged the rioting, violence and destruction in cities across the country?

Sure.  The second problem with holding liars accountable is having someone competent prosecute them.  Democrats seem to have an edge on this but naturally are less inclined to do the investigating for the Republicans. So there is a void in holding those people accountable.  

Edited by Gromdor
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

And your side tells the truth?

Far more often then the other, yes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5