Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What would happen if the Earth stopped spinning ?

UM-Bot

If it stop spinning in an instant, inertia would rib appart the earth crust and oblitarate everythings. We would not suffer long.

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DreadLordAvatar said:

Back to reality, with no resistance in space, how did the moon stop spinning?

'Gravity from Earth pulls on the closest tidal bulge, trying to keep it aligned. This creates tidal friction that slows the moon's rotation. Over time, the rotation was slowed enough that the moon's orbit and rotation matched, and the same face became tidally locked, forever pointed toward Earth'.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

What's amazing is that everything worked out so perfectly to support life on Earth. So many things had to work out very specifically for this to be possible. If any of them, the rotation, distance, elements available, temperature, radiation, etc. were off by very much, we wouldn't be here. The odds are incredible.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, C L Palmer said:

What's amazing is that everything worked out so perfectly to support life on Earth. So many things had to work out very specifically for this to be possible. If any of them, the rotation, distance, elements available, temperature, radiation, etc. were off by very much, we wouldn't be here. The odds are incredible.

A disclaimer  - I have zero, zilch, no expertise in this area so I expect to get shot down. 

But here goes - yes the odds are incredible if you think along the lines that all these elements lined up perfectly to present a planet perfect (almost) for us to inhabit. 

However, the odds are not really so incredible if you look at it the other way, all these things lined up to create this planet and life then evolved to suit living on it. 

Edited by RAyMO
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, RAyMO said:

A disclaimer  - I have zero, zilch, no expertise in this area so I expect to get shot down. 

But here goes - yes the odds are incredible if you think along the lines that all these elements lined up perfectly to present a planet perfect (almost) for us to inhabit. 

However, the odds are not really so incredible if you look at it the other way, all these things lined up to create this planet and life then evolved to suit living on it. 

And if it happened once, given the immense size and scope of the universe, it's likely to have happened again. 

• Like 1

On 1/24/2022 at 1:48 PM, jethrofloyd said:

'Gravity from Earth pulls on the closest tidal bulge, trying to keep it aligned. This creates tidal friction that slows the moon's rotation. Over time, the rotation was slowed enough that the moon's orbit and rotation matched, and the same face became tidally locked, forever pointed toward Earth'.

Reference source:
https://www.space.com/24871-does-the-moon-rotate.html

• Like 1

However a powerful asteroid hitting earth on its opposed rotational direction from an angle can and would slow it down

On 1/24/2022 at 1:58 PM, UM-Bot said:

Could our planet one day stop spinning and what would happen if it actually did ?

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/354782/what-would-happen-if-the-earth-stopped-spinning

Aftermath When The Earth Stops Spinning(full documentary)HD

The spin of the Earth starts slowing down dramatically. It is estimated Earth would stop spinning in as little as 5 years. The first effect is the isolation between the Global Positioning System satellites and ground-based atomic clocks. Then stock markets crash because of uncertainty about humanity's future. As times goes on the oceanic bulge of water at the equator moves northward and southward. The water floods Russia, Canada, and Antarctica. The atmosphere, once shaking solar heat out over the world and shifting air, stops and whirls to the poles. The air starts to thin at the equator and people have to migrate to more northerly and southerly cities in order to keep up with denser air. There is a higher risk of ultraviolet radiation as the electromagnetic field weakens because of the slowing inner core. The slowing Earth causes friction between the crust and the inner and outer cores, creating tremendous earthquakes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

And I thought if it stopped spinning time would stop. And if it then started to spin the opposite way time would go backwards?

Damn you Superman (1978) for tricking me!

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/25/2022 at 10:16 AM, RAyMO said:

True, to a degree. We've had scientists try to create the perfect conditions for life to form itself "spontaneously" and the best they could get were some molecules resembling biological precursors and a few orb-like structures. Why did I put the word spontaneously in quotes? If you have a group of people design an environment to be conducive to a specific outcome, the outcome (even if they are successful) is not spontaneous at all. It would be like putting the ingredients for brownies in an oven, shaking them up in the heat, and then claiming that the brownies made themselves. Sure, they weren't perfectly-formed brownies, but they were part-way there! It's circular reasoning.

14 hours ago, C L Palmer said:

True, to a degree. We've had scientists try to create the perfect conditions for life to form itself "spontaneously" and the best they could get were some molecules resembling biological precursors and a few orb-like structures. Why did I put the word spontaneously in quotes? If you have a group of people design an environment to be conducive to a specific outcome, the outcome (even if they are successful) is not spontaneous at all. It would be like putting the ingredients for brownies in an oven, shaking them up in the heat, and then claiming that the brownies made themselves. Sure, they weren't perfectly-formed brownies, but they were part-way there! It's circular reasoning.

The universe is a very very big place, with very many opportunities for conditions to be right or wrong or nearly there, or nearly not there. 

The point is the planet didn't come into existence to support us, in fact it didn't support us as humans for the lonest part of its existence, we evolved to suit the planet.

I have no doubt other planets or moons will have life - in the vastness of the universe. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RAyMO said:

The universe is a very very big place, with very many opportunities for conditions to be right or wrong or nearly there, or nearly not there. 

The point is the planet didn't come into existence to support us, in fact it didn't support us as humans for the lonest part of its existence, we evolved to suit the planet.

I have no doubt other planets or moons will have life - in the vastness of the universe. 

The Earth cannot stop spinning.  Unless the sun goes supernova.  I don't even  understand the OP question.  It isn't and cannot happen.

• Like 1