Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why the online game Wordle went viral, according to psychology

Still Waters

Twitter users may have noticed more and more people posting gray, green and yellow squares in a grid on their feeds this month. On other platforms, memes, art and even cross-stitching inspired by these matrices have popped up across the internet. The source is the latest pandemic craze: an online game called Wordle. 

The goal is to guess a mystery five-letter word in as few tries as possible. “After each guess, the color of the tiles will change to show how close your guess was to the word,” the directions state. The simple premise is reminiscent of the color-guessing game, Mastermind.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/heres-why-the-word-game-wordle-went-viral-180979439/

• Like 2

Thanks, I've been wondering what all those little annoying squares clogging up my Twitter feed were. Knowing the game industry, it's only a matter of time before this game gets crammed with microtransactions. I'm already a Bang Dream whale, so I don't need another mobile addiction lol. Speaking of - if you're interested in things like this, you'd enjoy documentaries and video essays made on the psychological manipulation tactics game companies use to get people to spend absurd amounts of money on in-game purchases and how it's causing an entire generation of kids to grow up with problem gambling issues.

• Sad 1