Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

USA Today Column Calls For California to “Abolish Parenthood”

Dreamer screamer

https://yournews.com/2022/01/17/2283107/usa-today-column-calls-for-california-to-abolish-parenthood/

“Now, I recognize that some naysayers will dismiss such a policy as ghastly, even totalitarian…”

A recent column in USA Today calls for the state of California to “abolish parenthood”, putting the government in charge of childrearing statewide in the name of “equity.”

In the op-ed titled, “California should abolish parenthood in the name of equity“, Zócalo Public Square editor Joe Matthews argued that for the state to enshrine “equity” as its “highest value”, parents should be stripped of their “power” over their children.

“Fathers and mothers with greater wealth and education are more likely to transfer these advantages to their children, compounding privilege over generations,” Matthews wrote in the column published Thursday.

“As a result, children of less advantaged parents face an uphill struggle, social mobility has stalled, and democracy has been corrupted. More Californians are abandoning the dream; a recent Public Policy Institute of California poll found declining belief in the notion that you can get ahead through hard work.”

I was told Brave new world was just a conspiracy, is it coming true? 

How many would actually do this? would any newly married couples just hand their baby over to the state just like that?

"lets get married and create babies for the state"  Really?

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Oh brother.  The only reason people buy that rag is to line their bird cage.   There is no real news in USA Today.   Hotels buy it so they can give their customers a newspaper without having to pay much for it.

• Like 4

Newspapers, the Newsprint industry, itself, is a relic of a bygone age. They're not even Newspapers, anymore, they're just tiny, glossy tabloids. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Newspapers, the Newsprint industry, itself, is a relic of a bygone age. They're not even Newspapers, anymore, they're just tiny, glossy tabloids. 

We have a local newspaper, that is still locally owned, that is a real newspaper.   They have trouble getting people to subscribe though and that is when the big corporate news companies swoop down and buy them.  There are very few local newspapers left that are owned locally.   

• Like 1

https://www.standard.co.uk/hp/front/george-orwell-big-brother-is-watching-your-house-7086271.html

The Big Brother nightmare of George Orwell's 1984 has become a reality - in the shadow of the author's former London home.

It may have taken a little longer than he predicted, but Orwell's vision of a society where cameras and computers spy on every person's movements is now here.

According to the latest studies, Britain has a staggering 4.2million CCTV cameras - one for every 14 people in the country - and 20 per cent of cameras globally. It has been calculated that each person is caught on camera an average of 300 times daily.

So if people are laughing at this news story, I bet people too were laughing in 1948 when 1984 came out.   

Just something to think about perhaps with Brave new world.

What Is Soma in Brave New World?

What is soma in Brave New World by Aldous Huxley? In the context of the novel, soma is a recreational drug that several of the main characters take throughout the story. The government in Brave New World strongly encourages individuals to take soma as a way to increase the happiness and complacency of the population. Soma can be taken as a pill or as a powder and can also be released as an aerosol. It is freely available to everyone in the novel. Its inclusion in the text is central to the novel's themes of complacency and resistance in society as well as the theme of escapism.

Bit to real for me...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

We have a local newspaper, that is still locally owned, that is a real newspaper.   They have trouble getting people to subscribe though and that is when the big corporate news companies swoop down and buy them.  There are very few local newspapers left that are owned locally.   

I know what you mean. Our last local Newspaper was purchased by USA Today. They run on a skeleton staff, working on what is, basically, a sleeve of local news wrapped around a USA Today. It was formally a Scripps Howard Newspaper. I'm old enough to remember how each Sunday Paper was an event, two inches thick and stuffed with everything, a Parade Magazine, color funny pages and a Woman's Section, as well as hundreds of loose, local, color glossy ads. That was the pre-PC-internet days. I was even part of the tradition as a paperboy. I worked for my allowance. 

The Newspaper was the first Mass Media. Before radio and television, for hundreds of years, it was the only way news and entertainment entered the home, other than word-of-mouth. Even more than News, Newspapers were Entertainment, with serialized stories, funny pages and all sorts of human interest content. All supplanted by the electronic media, it's sad to see the sun setting on that era.

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 6

32 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

I know what you mean. Our last local Newspaper was purchased by USA Today. They run on a skeleton staff, working on what is, basically, a sleeve of local news wrapped around a USA Today. It was formally a Scripps Howard Newspaper. I'm old enough to remember how each Sunday Paper was an event, two inches thick and stuffed with everything, a Parade Magazine, color funny pages and a Woman's Section, as well as hundreds of loose, local, color glossy ads. That was the pre-PC-internet days. I was even part of the tradition as a paperboy. I worked for my allowance. 

The Newspaper was the first Mass Media. Before radio and television, for hundreds of years, it was the only way news and entertainment entered the home, other than word-of-mouth. Even more than News, Newspapers were Entertainment, with serialized stories, funny pages and all sorts of human interest content. All supplanted by the electronic media, it's sad to see the sun setting on that era.

Yep, I remember those days too.  I was a paper girl for a bit, with my friend Anna, while her brother recuperated from an operation.  The hardest part was avoiding the bully on the last street who drove around on a tiny motor bike throwing golf balls at us and collecting for the paper.   Oh, and the old woman with the poodle that was trained to fetch the neighbor's paper after we threw it.   That only happened once, then we would save a left over from the day before to throw for the poodle and place the real paper on the door step after the old woman had taken the poodle and the newspaper in.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Mate, at this point, they’re Newspeak.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hell yeah. Those liberals can put the crack pipe down for a couple hours and help clean up after our kids. It’s their responsibility too. 

20 hours ago, Dreamer screamer said:

https://yournews.com/2022/01/17/2283107/usa-today-column-calls-for-california-to-abolish-parenthood/

“Now, I recognize that some naysayers will dismiss such a policy as ghastly, even totalitarian…”

A recent column in USA Today calls for the state of California to “abolish parenthood”, putting the government in charge of childrearing statewide in the name of “equity.”

In the op-ed titled, “California should abolish parenthood in the name of equity“, Zócalo Public Square editor Joe Matthews argued that for the state to enshrine “equity” as its “highest value”, parents should be stripped of their “power” over their children.

“Fathers and mothers with greater wealth and education are more likely to transfer these advantages to their children, compounding privilege over generations,” Matthews wrote in the column published Thursday.

“As a result, children of less advantaged parents face an uphill struggle, social mobility has stalled, and democracy has been corrupted. More Californians are abandoning the dream; a recent Public Policy Institute of California poll found declining belief in the notion that you can get ahead through hard work.”

How many would actually do this? would any newly married couples just hand their baby over to the state just like that?

Okay so here's why this is just alarmist: We don't run our country by op-ed. 

10 hours ago, el midgetron said:

Better investments?  

So having children is about having investments?

Edited by Dreamer screamer

I've often considered, just as a thought exercise, a world where children are raised in a totally different sector of society from everybody else, the only adults they ever get to see being their instructors. Essentially all children raised by the state. The one thing that always ends up happening is excessive reproduction from an adult populace who no longer has to consider the economic ramifications of raising children. Pregnancy is seen as just a thing that happens and then you "get over it." This naturally leads to a population boom and either a total collapse of society, or enforced sterilization for the majority of people as they age out of the child cities.

On 1/25/2022 at 9:27 AM, Dreamer screamer said:

The left always wants to take from the good and give to the bad.  

My wife and I both worked, but we raised our daughters to be good educated girls.   We helped them with their homework and made sure they got it done each day.  They both worked hard in school and got good grades.  

One of the moments I was most proud of my eldest daughter:

End of 8th grade.   She got a B on her final in a class.  It would bring her down to a B in that class.    All other classes she got an A.  She called the teacher and the teacher told her that if she could come into see her that day that they would talk.   My daughter rode her bike to the school (6 mile round trip) and ended up getting an A.  

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

The left always wants to take from the good and give to the bad.  

My wife and I both worked, but we raised our daughters to be good educated girls.   We helped them with their homework and made sure they got it done each day.  They both worked hard in school and got good grades.  

One of the moments I was most proud of my eldest daughter:

End of 8th grade.   She got a B on her final in a class.  It would bring her down to a B in that class.    All other classes she got an A.  She called the teacher and the teacher told her that if she could come into see her that day that they would talk.   My daughter rode her bike to the school (6 mile round trip) and ended up getting an A.  

A means what though?  A levels and O levels, means what? 

22 hours ago, Dreamer screamer said:

https://www.standard.co.uk/hp/front/george-orwell-big-brother-is-watching-your-house-7086271.html

The Big Brother nightmare of George Orwell's 1984 has become a reality - in the shadow of the author's former London home.

It may have taken a little longer than he predicted, but Orwell's vision of a society where cameras and computers spy on every person's movements is now here.

According to the latest studies, Britain has a staggering 4.2million CCTV cameras - one for every 14 people in the country - and 20 per cent of cameras globally. It has been calculated that each person is caught on camera an average of 300 times daily.

So if people are laughing at this news story, I bet people too were laughing in 1948 when 1984 came out.   

Just something to think about perhaps with Brave new world.

What Is Soma in Brave New World?

What is soma in Brave New World by Aldous Huxley? In the context of the novel, soma is a recreational drug that several of the main characters take throughout the story. The government in Brave New World strongly encourages individuals to take soma as a way to increase the happiness and complacency of the population. Soma can be taken as a pill or as a powder and can also be released as an aerosol. It is freely available to everyone in the novel. Its inclusion in the text is central to the novel's themes of complacency and resistance in society as well as the theme of escapism.

Bit to real for me...

Kinda makes me wonder what's actually in these vaccines. Scary.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Dreamer screamer said:

A means what though?  A levels and O levels, means what? 

Sorry.   The grading scale near me is:

A - Typically 92-100%

B - 83-91%

C - 74-82%

D - 65-73%

F - Fail

6 minutes ago, Myles said:

Sorry.   The grading scale near me is:

A - Typically 92-100%

B - 83-91%

C - 74-82%

D - 65-73%

F - Fail

Thank God I got F's then.   I never was a Good slave.

A level and O levels from what the clever people around me got, has a bible reference??  A Alpha and Omega???    Just saying.

34 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Kinda makes me wonder what's actually in these vaccines. Scary.

A wonderful century 1899 page 213.    They knew back then.

Why have the Vaccine company  said they're not taking liability for anyones allergic reactions??

So if the parents are in trouble, who is going to bring up the children?   The ones that make it are going to know nothing of their family blood line and history.  Theis screams BRAVE NEW WORLD!!!!     under a NEW WORLD ORDER!!!

Edited by Dreamer screamer
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dreamer screamer said:

Thank God I got F's then.   I never was a Good slave.

A level and O levels from what the clever people around me got, has a bible reference??  A Alpha and Omega???    Just saying.

Getting F's is nothing to be proud of for most people.   The better your grades the more scholarships you can get for college.  Even if college isn't going to happen, it's good to be educated.  

• Like 6

Almost wondering if this article was meant as a sarcastic jest to the Republicans:

Over on the right, Republicans are happy to jettison parents’ rights in pursuit of their greatest passions, like violating migrant rights. Once you’ve gone so far as to take immigrant children from their parents and put them in border concentration camps, it’s a short walk to separating all Americans from their progeny.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

Almost wondering if this article was meant as a sarcastic jest to the Republicans:

Over on the right, Republicans are happy to jettison parents’ rights in pursuit of their greatest passions, like violating migrant rights. Once you’ve gone so far as to take immigrant children from their parents and put them in border concentration camps, it’s a short walk to separating all Americans from their progeny.

I don’t think so. The video I posted is like 10 year old and it’s a scripted promo. This is what the left has believed for a long time. The state replacing the family is a tenet of Communism. 

There are more migrants having their rights “violated” today then at anytime under Trump. More migrant kids are packed into “cages” today than at any time under Trump. More migrants today are put into “concentration camps” then at any time under Trump. The photos of “kids in cages” that came out during the Trump hysteria were photos from the Obama presidency. The crying child on the infamous Time Magazine cover was never separated from her parents. What you have is a narrative fail. 

The only way to prevent that stuff is to deter illegal immigrant, something the Democrats have done the opposite of. The Democrats own the mess at the border the same way they own rampant crime in their progressive cities. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, South Alabam said:

If I remember right, there was a news article and like two days later Trump demanded the policy not be continued. A policy enacted under Pres Obama.

• Thanks 1

On 1/25/2022 at 6:27 AM, Dreamer screamer said:

Yeah because it is ghastly and totalitarian. They'd be removing freedom and liberty from the children in the name of political correctness. 

“As a result, children of less advantaged parents face an uphill struggle, social mobility has stalled, and democracy has been corrupted.

So where does Democracy come into this? Less advantaged people aren't allowed to vote, or something?

More Californians are abandoning the dream; a recent Public Policy Institute of California poll found declining belief in the notion that you can get ahead through hard work.”

Considering how many are leaving the state every year, I believe it. The hard workers are either leaving, or getting paid more to stay. So the remaining leeches agree they're victims and demand the state do something. This only works till all the Workers are gone and then the system will collapse.

"lets get married and create babies for the state"  Really?

Sure. Ive met a few far left liberals who are probably crazy enough to agree to this. Likely as they aged they'd regret it immensely. So probably a good thing this will never happen, or at least in any of our lifetimes, as there's simply not enough followers to make it work.

• Thanks 1