Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

$13bn nuclear-powered aircraft carrier 'may not be able to defend itself'

Eldorado

The US Navy’s newest and costliest warship, the $13 billion Gerald R. Ford, “has yet to demonstrate that it can effectively” defend itself from anti-ship missiles and other threats, according to a new assessment by the Pentagon’s testing office.

Mixed performance by missile interceptors, radar and data dissemination systems on a testing vessel limited the ability to destroy replicas of incoming weapons even though sensor systems “satisfactorily detected, tracked and engaged the targets,” according to the report obtained by Bloomberg News in advance of its release. 

MSN

The vessel’s Gatling gun-like system “experienced numerous reliability failures that in several cases prevented the system from executing its mission,” the test office said.

Stars and Stripes

Edited by Eldorado
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

The US Navy’s newest and costliest warship, the $13 billion Gerald R. Ford, “has yet to demonstrate that it can effectively” defend itself from anti-ship missiles and other threats, according to a new assessment by the Pentagon’s testing office.

Mixed performance by missile interceptors, radar and data dissemination systems on a testing vessel limited the ability to destroy replicas of incoming weapons even though sensor systems “satisfactorily detected, tracked and engaged the targets,” according to the report obtained by Bloomberg News in advance of its release. 

MSN

I think this is hilarious.  A nuclear warship that can't defend itself.   That seems like a real disaster, but for some reason it is funny (maybe I am tired and slap happy)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

MSN

11 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I think this is hilarious.  A nuclear warship that can't defend itself.   That seems like a real disaster, but for some reason it is funny (maybe I am tired and slap happy)

Aircraft carriers are at the heart of a strike group, the other ships and subs meant to service and defend the carrier.  I doubt this is a big deal or unexpected.

1280px-US_Navy_031130-N-3653A-002_USS_Ge

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Aircraft carriers are at the heart of a strike group, the other ships and subs meant to service and defend the carrier.  I doubt this is a big deal or unexpected.

1280px-US_Navy_031130-N-3653A-002_USS_Ge

They have done that well in the South China sea yesterday, on of their f-35 crashed into his carrier group will doing an intimidation stance in front of China. They don't even need enemies to be embarassed.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/01/24/politics/f-35-pilot-eject-south-china-sea/index.html

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Jon the frog said:

They have done that well in the South China sea yesterday, on of their f-35 crashed into his carrier group will doing an intimidation stance in front of China. They don't even need enemies to be embarassed.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/01/24/politics/f-35-pilot-eject-south-china-sea/index.html

Accidents on naval ships are pretty common.  Do you think a country with one used soviet era aircraft carrier laughs too much about anything our navy does.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Accidents on naval ships are pretty common.  Do you think a country with one used soviet era aircraft carrier laughs too much about anything our navy does.

It was just a embarassing moment... last time the navy have done a stunt like that in China sea, their submarine stuck a mountain, not a big deal, they are professionals.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Jon the frog said:

It was just a embarassing moment... last time the navy have done a stunt like that in China sea, their submarine stuck a mountain, not a big deal, they are professionals.

Like that’s never happened before. This actually goes to show how large the naval presence is over there right now.

• Like 1

The US Navy has begun “making arrangements” to recover the wreckage of a $100m F-35C Lightning II jet fighter that slammed into an aircraft carrier during a failed landing, fell off the edge of the flight deck and plunged into the sea.

MSN

As for the Ford.... Seems basically like technical issues, not a systemic or engineering design fail. I'd go back and talk to the contractors that installed and tested the guns. Maybe calibrations were faked to meet schedule. 

22 hours ago, Eldorado said:

The US Navy has begun “making arrangements” to recover the wreckage of a $100m F-35C Lightning II jet fighter that slammed into an aircraft carrier during a failed landing, fell off the edge of the flight deck and plunged into the sea.

MSN

The pilot ejected before the fighter slammed into the flight deck and was recovered by helicopter, the 7th Fleet said in a statement to the Associated Press.

The pilot and six other sailors were injured, with four treated on board the ship and three evacuated to the Philippines for treatment. They were in a stable condition on Tuesday morning.

Thankfully no one died, or was seriously injured.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

We are racing with China to see who gets it first.  

It would be more efficient if we were cooperating with China and Russia to develop technology instead of this stupid competition.   Someday we are all going to have to admit that we are all human and all on the same planet.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

It would be more efficient if we were cooperating with China and Russia to develop technology instead of this stupid competition.   Someday we are all going to have to admit that we are all human and all on the same planet.

Everyone has a different vision on what the world should be like.  Unity of purpose might never come.  Especially for stuff that is pretty fuzzy morally- like cloning, gene editing, AI, cybernetics, etc.

• Like 1

Just now, Gromdor said:

Everyone has a different vision on what the world should be like.  Unity of purpose might never come.  Especially for stuff that is pretty fuzzy morally- like cloning, gene editing, AI, cybernetics, etc.

And nuclear air craft carriers.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

And nuclear air craft carriers.

Eh, if everyone in the world cooperated, we wouldn't need aircraft carriers.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

A bizarre race against time is under way for the US Navy to reach one of its downed fighter jets - before the Chinese get there first.

The $100m (£74m) F35-C plane came down in the South China Sea after what the Navy describes as a "mishap" during take-off from the USS Carl Vinson.

The jet is the Navy's newest, and crammed with classified equipment. As it is in international waters, it is technically fair game.

Whoever gets there first, wins.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-60148482

• Like 1

Japan's missing F-15 fighter jet believed to have crashed

The jet, belonging to Japan's air self-defence forces, went missing shortly after take-off on Monday, officials had previously said.

MSN

• Sad 1

On 1/27/2022 at 5:11 PM, Desertrat56 said:

I often think about what humanity could achieve if the military budgets would be cutted down to 10% or even to zero. How much money would that be? 2000B? 3000B? I dont know. With that amount of cash in the pockets we could reach dreamlike successes in the fields of education, environmental protection, research and development, renewable energies, fighting poverty and homelessness etc etc. Life and the planet offer everything we need to get a nearly perfect world but unfortunately it also offers resentment, hatred and stupidity, envy and aggression. So far, we failed.

• Like 1

There is always room for improvement, but I suspect they just need to work out the kinks.  But if we plan to take on China, I would add two new ships to the carrier strike group.  The key words are redundancy and quantity.  Pulling from the past, introduce CIWS cruisers in the kind of what the Atlanta class cruiser was in WWII.  But instead of 5” anti-aircraft, use Phalanx and SeaRam.  And pulling from WWII again, install (as many as possible) Phalanx and SeaRam along the sides of the flight deck.  The goal would be to put up such an umbrella that not even a mosquito could get through.

Read awhile ago a good argument for bringing back the battleship, but instead of having large 16 inch guns it would instead be armed with massive amounts of cruise and hypersonic missiles.

Essentially the argument the article was making that in WW2 it took massive amounts of damage to generally sink a battleship and in the decades since with advances in metallurgy and better designs a modern battleship would be even harder to sink.  Plus the pure size of a battleship would let it carry massive amounts of offensive missiles along with massive amounts of anti-missile weaponry.  The idea essentially was to have a ship capable of taking multiple hits from anti-ship and hypersonic missiles and still be able to fight.

The idea would be costly but it could be feasible to have a guided missile battleship.

Edited by DarkHunter

On 1/27/2022 at 9:11 AM, Desertrat56 said:

Really?  Human nature would say otherwise.  We can ignore and even try to fight human nature and lose every time or we can learn to accept our nature and guide it, yoke its strength.  The two sides would need to share the same ideology and then it would be iffy.  Competition would be better between the three.  That way, there’d be no blind trust to betray.  Conflict and competition are how Man advances.  That’s how Man cooperates, each side trying to build off the other.

12 hours ago, toast said:

I often think about what humanity could achieve if the military budgets would be cutted down to 10% or even to zero. 

We wouldn’t achieve much.  Much of what is done in R&D usually benefits Man more than we know.

With that amount of cash in the pockets we could reach dreamlike successes in the fields of education, environmental protection, research and development, renewable energies, fighting poverty and homelessness etc etc.

Sounds like the only solution for you is to throw money at it?  Forget substance.  All of these things require common sense with wisely allocated money to back it up.

Life and the planet offer everything we need to get a nearly perfect world

Absolutely!

but unfortunately it also offers resentment, hatred and stupidity, envy and aggression. So far, we failed.

Welcome to the real world.  The Zen of existence.  It’s all a balance.  So far, I'd say we've succeeded (we are still here).

@RavenHawk  I am sorry you think so poorly of your fellow humans.   It must be real dark place inside your head.  I hope you feel better someday.  And "The Zen of existence"  is not what you seem to think.   Have you ever studied any Zen?  or did you mistake the Art of War by Lao Tzu to be about war? :lol:

Edited by Desertrat56

10 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

@RavenHawk  I am sorry you think so poorly of your fellow humans.  

Who said I think poorly of my fellow humans?

It must be real dark place inside your head.

On the contrary.  I see a bright future, one strengthened by fire & trial. 

I hope you feel better someday.  

I will.  Starting some time by the end of this year.  Thank you for being so concerned.

And "The Zen of existence"  is not what you seem to think.   Have you ever studied any Zen?  or did you mistake the Art of War by Lao Tzu to be about war? :lol:

There's a difference?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

Who said I think poorly of my fellow humans?

On the contrary.  I see a bright future, one strengthened by fire & trial. 

I will.  Starting some time by the end of this year.  Thank you for being so concerned.

There's a difference?

That is the exact opposite of what you said in the previous post.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

That is the exact opposite of what you said in the previous post.

It's almost impossible to keep up with the juggling of cognitive dissonance and wilfull ignorance at times...

• Like 1