Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

People are still choosing to leave Ireland

Eldorado

It’s no secret that Irish people love to travel, and our presence in the global diaspora is one to be proud of. Every year, young Irish sign up for J1s and jet off to the States or disappear for a few months to interrail across Europe. Others pack up and go for good, leaving the country to start families and chase dreams.

But at some point, Irish people stopped leaving Ireland because they wanted to, and began to emigrate because they felt that they needed to. The 2008 recession that sent shockwaves through the Emerald Isle was an obvious reason for young people to look to other countries for a more stable future. However, Ireland has since recovered, and the youth of the country continue to emigrate in steady waves.

In 2020, 56,500 Irish people emigrated in search of something better abroad. Over half of them were between the ages of 25 and 44, and nearly sixteen thousand of them were teenagers and young adults aged 24 and under. But why are they still leaving?

https://stellar.ie/real-talk/people-are-still-choosing-to-leave-ireland-why-should-they-stay/101968

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Maybe part of it is due to immigration.  I recall hearing a member here from years ago - Becky's Mom - saying it was becoming more and more difficult to hear an Irish accent in Belfast.  That's discouraging, IMO.  The whole world seems to be in a kind of unstable flux of turmoil.  When or IF it finishes, the world compared with even a few decades ago will be unrecognizable.  I'm glad I had a chance to see Rome and coastal Oregon before they fell into ruin.  :angry:

• Sad 1

I miss Becky's Mom. I hope she and her family are doing well.

• Like 3

People have left Ireland for opportunities elsewhere for centuries. In America alone, over 35 million can trace their ancestry back to the Emerald Isle. In Ireland, only about a million or so still speak Irish and less than 200,000 speak it as their first language. Little wonder city folks' accents have faded, diluted by exposure to mass media, as are accents everywhere.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, and then said:

coastal Oregon before they fell into ruin

Coastal Oregon will survive us.

Guest Br Cornelius

It's a cultural thing. It's fully expected that every child will emmigrate for a while in their youth, the difference now is that everyone who wants to return can do so

Br Cornelius

Guest Br Cornelius

People finding my statement amusing just shows how ignorant they are of Irish Culture. 
Its completely different in this regard from English culture and I should know since I have long experience of both.

My son in law is a recently graduated Doctor who could live anywhere in Ireland comfortably and establish a nice middle class lifestyle, been Irish he intends to travel to either America or Australia to do a few rotations - why because he wants to see the world not because he needs to. Same for my daughter who is a teacher.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius

12 minutes ago, Br Cornelius said:

People finding my statement amusing just shows how ignorant they are of Irish Culture. 
Its completely different in this regard from English culture and I should know since I have long experience of both.

My son in law is a recently graduated Doctor who could live anywhere in Ireland comfortably and establish a nice middle class lifestyle, been Irish he intends to travel to either America or Australia to do a few rotations - why because he wants to see the world not because he needs to. Same for my daughter who is a teacher.

Br Cornelius

Apologies. I honestly thought you were making a joke i.e - "the difference now is that everyone who wants to return can do so" meaning they choose not to. Again apologies.

You must be very proud of your daughter & son-in-law. My daughter too is a teacher, teaching in Malaysia, seeing the world as I never could at her age.

Edited by itsnotoutthere

Guest Br Cornelius

Not everyone choose to return to Ireland, but most only go away for a decade or so at most. The desire to live in the home place is very strong among the Irish.

Br Cornelius