Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sodom Meteor Strike Claims Should Be Taken with a Pillar of Salt

Carnoferox

Reminds me of scams jamie mussan tries to pull.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, the13bats said:

Reminds me of scams jamie mussan tries to pull.

You mean this guy?

https://ahotcupofjoe.net/2017/07/review-jaime-maussan-alien-mummy-peru/

West is a long term fraudster.

Edited by Hanslune
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

You mean this guy?

https://ahotcupofjoe.net/2017/07/review-jaime-maussan-alien-mummy-peru/

West is a long term fraudster.

Yeah, i never spell his name correctly he has been involved with many frauds and hoaxes and when they get exposed he will cry victim that he was duped,

With the Peru mummys they desecrated human remains and burial grounds to make a buck, papajohn ahem george on here defends him,

It was hilarious maussan paid like 10k for a dead monkey trying to claim it was an alien

Hes also listed on the ufo hall of shame.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, the13bats said:

Yeah, i never spell his name correctly he has been involved with many frauds and hoaxes and when they get exposed he will cry victim that he was duped,

With the Peru mummys they desecrated human remains and burial grounds to make a buck, papajohn ahem george on here defends him,

It was hilarious maussan paid like 10k for a dead monkey trying to claim it was an alien

Hes also listed on the ufo hall of shame.

Thanks, yes I'm well aware of him. Fun guy.

• Like 2

I really don't see the need some people seem to have to cook up real world explanations for mythology. Sodom, the 10 plagues of Egypt...sometimes mythology just happens.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

I really don't see the need some people seem to have to cook up real world explanations for mythology. Sodom, the 10 plagues of Egypt...sometimes mythology just happens.

People back then and in the present make up stories; for entertainment, for propaganda or to try and explain why something happened or discuss an ethical or moral issue. While some may have a realisitc background some are just fanciful.

Harry Potter isn't real, nor is Dune, or Middle Earth,  or  all those Zombie movies.. 5,000 years from now people may be pondering what those stories were based on and if they were real.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

People back then and in the present make up stories; for entertainment, for propaganda or to try and explain why something happened or discuss an ethical or moral issue. While some may have a realisitc background some are just fanciful.

Harry Potter isn't real, nor is Dune, or Middle Earth,  or  all those Zombie movies.. 5,000 years from now people may be pondering what those stories were based on and if they were real.

Exactly.

And even the ones who might have a kernel of truth, they won't resemble their mythological counterparts. Like with Troy; there were most likely a number of clashes between the Hittites and the Mycenaeans in western Anatolia, but there was definitely no pact to unite all the Myceneans in a 10 year siege against a single Hittite cities to get somebody's wife back. I highly doubt either side had the logistic know-how to keep up/endure a bloody 10-year siege.

• Like 6

*sigh*

Christians never, ever, ever get the point of the story of Sodom and Gomorrah.

I guess Proust did, though.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

When it comes to some things like this the believers like a real event connection as to boast that their faith is justfied.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

*sigh*

Christians never, ever, ever get the point of the story of Sodom and Gomorrah.

I guess Proust did, though.

--Jaylemurph

I haven't read Proust, so feel free to share his opinion.

But...is it about that the two cities were punished for violating the guest right (one of the most holy laws in Ancient Times) rather than what some Christian churches think they were punished for?

Edited by Orphalesion

Part of an episode of Quirks and Quarks from Canada interviewed one of the authors of this paper about the destruction of Tall el-Hammam. I do not recall them mentioning Sodom and Gomorrah. In the interview they stated that did find some gold, platinum and IIRC osmium on site but stated that they could not differentiate between material from the site or from an extraterrestrial bolide. They said they had plans to go back and look for an impact.

This  article mentioned by Carnoferox puts that interview in an entire new light.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

I haven't read Proust, so feel free to share his opinion.

But...is it about that the two cities were punished for violating the guest right (one of the most holy laws in Ancient Times) rather than what some Christian churches think they were punished for?

Haven't read Proust either, but here's a start:

https://www.naxos.com/mainsite/blurbs_reviews.asp?item_code=NA0099&catNum=NA0099&filetype=About this Recording&language=English

• Thanks 1

On 1/26/2022 at 9:36 AM, Orphalesion said:

That need stems from a lack of faith, in my opinion.

"People of faith" should actually have faith. If they did, they wouldn't NEED to try and "prove" things from the Bible.

Harte

• Like 3

I see many Christians, and Muslims try to tie Pompeii with Sodom as God's wrath in part because the ancient Romans public display of phallus symbols (divine reproduction).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Harte said:

That need stems from a lack of faith, in my opinion.

"People of faith" should actually have faith. If they did, they wouldn't NEED to try and "prove" things from the Bible.

Harte

I agree and as I said to somebody else on these forums some years ago "If your faith is so fragile that it can't survive the fact that the Bible is myth, then it's not very strong in the first place"

It also varies a lot between denominations though, I was raised Catholic (I'm not anymore) and as a kid and teenager in Sunday School we were even thought that (at least) the Old Testament is a myth and should be seen allegorical rather than historical. Though I am sure there are people here who want to think of it as a fact.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Davros of Skaro said:

I see many Christians, and Muslims try to tie Pompeii with Sodom as God's wrath in part because the ancient Romans public display of phallus symbols (divine reproduction).

...nobody ever said, "Hey! Christians -- they're the fun ones!"

But the Romans knew how to throw down.

--Jaylemurpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

...nobody ever said, "Hey! Christians -- they're the fun ones!"

Christians are amusing if odd. You guys should try living in Muslim countries for a few decades. Makes Christian fundamentalism and bizarre thinking appear 'trivia'. The problems between Shia and Sunnis was always a major headache in any country's government, college or HS I worked in. A lesser intensity was Hinduism which is truly strange - the calmest religion I had exposure to was Shintoism. A  percentage of my childhood friends were of that religion and one's father was a shinshoku.

Christians are amateurs when it comes to true fanaticism.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Hanslune said:

Christians are amateurs when it comes to true fanaticism.

As a member of a group the Christians have been hating on for literally a thousand years, I disagree. Respectfully.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

As a member of a group the Christians have been hating on for literally a thousand years, I disagree. Respectfully.

--Jaylemurph

As is your right.

But keep in mind it's been a while since they were throwing you off roofs.

Harte

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

--Jaylemurph

We agree they are both unpleasant but can argue about just how non palatable the raw sewage curry is.

1 hour ago, jaylemurph said:

I looked through the United States section and out of the 51 references of violence, only 2 were linked to Christians. The last one, the 2016 Orlando nightclub shooting was a foreign terrorist who was mad at Americans for bombing in the Middle East.

Correction: two references.

In my experience, most Christians/Christian denominations would tolerate someone who is gay. Unless the gay person is hating first, then there is most likely to be tolerance.

Edited by Opus Magnus

1 hour ago, Opus Magnus said:

In my experience, most Christians/Christian denominations would tolerate someone who is gay.

That is a lie, and you know it.

These socalled Christians are all thinking "Sodom and Gomorah" when confronted with homosexuals. If they say that they 'tolerate' homosexuals, it's because they'll have to if they want to be 'politically correct'.

They lie. Period.

I am not gay myself, but there are in my family, and some are collegues of mine.

Edited to add:

If we have to believe what's written in the New Testament, dear Jesus hooked up with men, only men - twelve of them - for three years.

How about that, eh?

:yes:

Edited by Abramelin
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

That is a lie, and you know it.

These socalled Christians are all thinking "Sodom and Gomorah" when confronted with homosexuals. If they say that they 'tolerate' homosexuals, it's because they'll have to if they want to be 'politically correct'.

They lie. Period.

I am not gay myself, but there are in my family, and some are collegues of mine.

Edited to add:

If we have to believe what's written in the New Testament, dear Jesus hooked up with men, only men - twelve of them - for three years.

How about that, eh?

:yes:

That's not true. First of all, I'm not making up what I said about Churches being tolerant. Second of all, Jesus had many female friends and portions of the Gospel are centered on his relationships with women.

• Like 1