Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

We need a greener way to die

Eldorado

Death might be life’s natural and unavoidable conclusion, but humans have ensured that what happens to our bodies afterward is anything but.

For more than a century, the circle of life in the United States has looked more like a horseshoe, with burial practices preventing the Earth from reusing our precious raw materials after we shuffle off this mortal coil. But there are alternatives, and a growing number of future corpses might rot as nature intended.

Embalming may be our worst offender. The practice of filling bodies with chemicals like formaldehyde to preserve them dates back to ancient Egypt, but it caught on stateside in the mid-1800s as a way to transport fallen Civil War soldiers.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/we-need-a-greener-way-to-die?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

Wrap me in a canvas sheet and drop me six feet deep. Plant a tree on top of my corpse. 

But would the state you currently live in allow that? Plus, you would need to be put in the ground pretty soon after you'd popped your clogs . . . unless you particularly wanted to annoy your nearest and dearest by stinking the place out!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, ouija ouija said:

But would the state you currently live in allow that? Plus, you would need to be put in the ground pretty soon after you'd popped your clogs . . . unless you particularly wanted to annoy your nearest and dearest by stinking the place out!

I don't know legality, but it's just an idea/wish I have. The way I see it, is that I'll at least be useful to the planet which spawned my species. 

• Like 2

Guest Br Cornelius

I keep telling my wife to drag my dead body up to the top field and let the Ravens pick my bones clean. Wouldn't take more than a few days.
She's a bit reluctant - can't imagine why.

Br Cornelius

My preferred method would be Tibetan Sky Burial.

I'll opt, as my family all has... for cremation instead.

Chemical castration of the body is perverse and retarded thinking.

Get those minerals back into the soil. 

• Like 2

Burial has to be the most eco-friendly disposal, but without the formaldehyde.

Is it Bangladesh that buries their stiffs standing up? That's a good idea too.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Wrap me in a canvas sheet and drop me six feet deep. Plant a tree on top of my corpse. 

A crabapple tree perhaps?:D

• Haha 5

Sorry but this seems like adding filigrees before we have a design.  We could agree on how to live green before we worry about how to die green.

• Like 1

This lady is priceless!

13 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Sorry but this seems like adding filigrees before we have a design.  We could agree on how to live green before we worry about how to die green.

The two are totally intertwined. :)

• Like 2

Another, very 'green' idea: organize a barbeque:

135254-135255.jpg?lb=375,210

But you'll still have to be kind of juicy at the moment you die, not just a bag of dry bones.

Edited by Abramelin
  • Haha 2

I agree that our current method of burial is dumb.    In the US alone around 2.8 million people die each year.  Once you take out the ones who do not get a plot in a cemetery there are still over a million (I guess) burial plots per year.   That's allot of land.  

• Like 1

I like XenoFish's idea best.  Instead of cemeteries, also known in slang as "marble orchards"   we could have real orchards and vineyards.

What a legacy.  Your descendants could eat the marvelous apples or drink the fine vintage and thank Uncle Xeno.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

I like XenoFish's idea best.  Instead of cemeteries, also known in slang as "marble orchards"   we could have real orchards and vineyards.

What a legacy.  Your descendants could eat the marvelous apples or drink the fine vintage and thank Uncle Xeno.

A truly bitter beverage.:lol:

• Haha 2

On 1/26/2022 at 2:24 AM, XenoFish said:

I told my kids that too.

Resomators ? 

Resomator – a pressurised canister in which corpses are submerged in a mixture of 150C water and potassium hydroxide solution for three to four hours until the flesh is dissolved, leaving behind only soft, greyish bones. After drying in an adjacent oven, these are ground down into paper-white powder, while the fluid is sent to a water treatment plant for disposal. The entire process is operated by a touchscreen and a single “start” button, away from the view of mourners. Ashes to ashes no more.

Link to Source and Full Article https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/jul/09/greener-way-to-go-eco-friendly-way-dispose-of-body-burial-cremation