Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Spotify removing Neil Young's music after his Joe Rogan ultimatum

OverSword

Neil Young's music is being removed from Spotify's streaming service after the singer-songwriter objected to his songs playing on the same platform that offers Joe Rogan's podcast, the company and the musician said on Wednesday.

Earlier this week, Young had released a letter addressed to his manager and record label, Warner Music Group, demanding that Spotify no longer carry his music because he said Rogan spreads misinformation about COVID-19 vaccines.

On Wednesday, the "Heart of Gold" and "Rocking In the Free World" singer thanked his record label for "standing with me in my decision to pull all my music from Spotify," and he encouraged other musicians to do the same.

"Spotify has become the home of life threatening COVID misinformation," he said on his website. "Lies being sold for money."

Link

Does Joe Rogan spread misinformation about Covid-19 vaccines?  I don't think so.  He may have asked questions about vaccines and other treatments but all in all seems like Neil Young is relying on propaganda for his information.  I don't listen much to Rogan these days so if I'm wrong feel free to prove it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Didn't Diamond already sign a contract with them and get millions in payment? I thought he did but I could be wrong too. I don't know if Spotify has to release him from that.

• Haha 2

Yes Rogan promotes Covid misinformation. It's been discussed in several threads. 

Wow. Huge respect to Neil Young. Good on him, he is a great guy. Never was a fan as he is so politically orientated but good to see he still fights the good fight. 

Rogan is am uniformed twit. Doctors have made the same complaint. 

They described the podcast as:

"a sociological issue of devastating proportions." 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/covid-misinformation-joe-rogan-spotify-petition-1282240/amp/

I Spotify will care. I would say Rogan makes them more money than Neil Young does. There's a lot of ignorant people out there grasping at straws.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, susieice said:

Didn't Diamond already sign a contract with them and get millions in payment? I thought he did but I could be wrong too. I don't know if Spotify has to release him from that.

Neil Young Susie ;)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Yes Rogan promotes Covid misinformation. It's been discussed in several threads. 

Wow. Huge respect to Neil Young. Good on him, he is a great guy. Never was a fan as he is so politically orientated but good to see he still fights the good fight. 

Rogan is am uniformed twit. Doctors have made the same complaint. 

They described the podcast as:

"a sociological issue of devastating proportions." 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/covid-misinformation-joe-rogan-spotify-petition-1282240/amp/

I Spotify will care. I would say Rogan makes them more money than Neil Young does. There's a lot of ignorant people out there grasping at straws.

If I'm going to believe that you'll have to have a different source :rolleyes:  (Rolling Stone is a huge joke, right up there with InfoWars) Their source is a graduate Fellows with a huge instagram following of all things.

That said, a good interviewer asks questions and lets people answer them.  If you can come up with a link in which he spreads vaccine misinformation as the angry hippy accuses then I might believe it.  But as Spotify has deleted many podcasts for covid misinformation but not Rogan's?  Doubtful.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Neil Young Susie ;)

Oops. My bad. Neil Diamond made a contract with them also. But anyway, if Young contracted with them, can he really force them not to use his music? 

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, susieice said:

Oops. My bad. Neil Diamond made a contract with them also. But anyway, if Young contracted with them, can he really force them not to use his music?

I just heard Ohio this morning listening to 70's playlist

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I just heard Ohio this morning listening to 70's playlist

There's a lot of musicians selling their music catalogs. ZZTops just sold theirs to BMG. Aren't these legally binding contracts? The musician gets the money and whomever gets the music. Young may just be lucky at the moment that Spotify agreed to this.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, OverSword said:

If I'm going to believe that you'll have to have a different source :rolleyes:  (Rolling Stone is a huge joke, right up there with InfoWars) Their source is a graduate Fellows with a huge instagram following of all things.

That said, a good interviewer asks questions and lets people answer them.  If you can come up with a link in which he spreads vaccine misinformation as the angry hippy accuses then I might believe it.  But as Spotify has deleted many podcasts for covid misinformation but not Rogan's?  Doubtful.

14 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Well some muso you are. meh. The article has supporting links too. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2022/01/14/doctors-scientists-petition-spotify-to-stop-joe-rogan-experience-covid-19-misinformation/?sh=6f04351668fc

Pick a link. It's all over the net. Not hard to find. I'm sure you can even find a right wing source if you try. 

Considering that it's your thread, I'm surprised you haven't seen them.

Here is the letter

https://spotifyopenletter.wordpress.com/2022/01/10/an-open-letter-to-spotify/

That said, a good interviewer asks questions and lets people answer them. 

Depends on who the people are.

People are supposedly there to get information. They would get more be accurate information from play school.

If you ask a fringe nutter a question it's not to anyone's benefit other than those in the interview. 

If you can come up with a link in which he spreads vaccine misinformation as the angry hippy accuses then I might believe it.  But as Spotify has deleted many podcasts for covid misinformation but not Rogan's?  Doubtful.

The letter above should suffice. It was written by people who know more about Covid than you I, or Rogan. 

FFS dude really? How have you missed the threads where he constantly plays covid down, took invermectin when he had Covid, gave platform to that whackjob Malone, and called vaccines gene therapy. 

Anyone who think Rogan is smarter than they are must have no self esteem at all. Going to a twit for advice never ends well.

I'd love to see Spotify grow a pair and turf idiot Rogan, but he's too good a cash cow. They won't. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, susieice said:

Looks like he has. According to all sources they have begun removal of his music.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Looks like he has. According to all sources they have begun removal of his music.

All I'm saying is that I hope they don't come back with a breach of contract suit on him. He sold the rights to that music when he signed the contract and took the money. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, susieice said:

All I'm saying is that I hope they don't come back with a breach of contract suit on him. He sold the rights to that music when he signed the contract and took the money. 

There are many kinds of rights one can sell on any given property.  You can sell North American rights, digital rights, world rights, etc, etc.  I doubt he sold "all rights."  That'd be... dumb.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Kenemet said:

There are many kinds of rights one can sell on any given property.  You can sell North American rights, digital rights, world rights, etc, etc.  I doubt he sold "all rights."  That'd be... dumb.

From what I saw, ZZTops sold their catalog and the royalty rights. I know Rolling Stone isn't OverSword's favorite source, but there's lots of links. It all depends on what that contract says, but I doubt Rogan and anything he has to say is in a clause that would be grounds to invalidate the contract. A lot of older musicians are now selling because they're getting @ $50 million for them and they're pretty much retired now. They may do some shows but their big careers and recording contracts aren't anymore. 

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/zz-top-catalog-acquisition-sale-bmg-1274367/

• Like 2

Sorry. I didn't think that RS article was going to go to subscription. Here's another that explains the contract ZZTops signed.

https://www.iheart.com/content/2021-12-22-zz-top-reportedly-sells-music-catalog-for-50-million/

https://www.wzxl.com/zz-top-sells-entire-music-catalog-and-royalties-for-50-million/

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, susieice said:

There's a lot of musicians selling their music catalogs. ZZTops just sold theirs to BMG. Aren't these legally binding contracts? The musician gets the money and whomever gets the music. Young may just be lucky at the moment that Spotify agreed to this.

I doubt he'd do anything that would get too deep into his pocket but if he did, then I'll give him the respect for standing for what he believes.  I've enjoyed a couple of his tunes - when he was part of Crosby Stills and Nash but I lost most respect for him when he wrote and made famous:  SOUTHERN MAN.  He casually defamed an entire region of the nation.  Most down here wouldn't p*** on him if he was on fire.  :yes:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, psyche101 said:

Well some muso you are. meh. The article has supporting links too. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2022/01/14/doctors-scientists-petition-spotify-to-stop-joe-rogan-experience-covid-19-misinformation/?sh=6f04351668fc

Pick a link. It's all over the net. Not hard to find. I'm sure you can even find a right wing source if you try. 

Considering that it's your thread, I'm surprised you haven't seen them.

Here is the letter

https://spotifyopenletter.wordpress.com/2022/01/10/an-open-letter-to-spotify/

Depends on who the people are.

People are supposedly there to get information. They would get more be accurate information from play school.

If you ask a fringe nutter a question it's not to anyone's benefit other than those in the interview. 

The letter above should suffice. It was written by people who know more about Covid than you I, or Rogan. 

FFS dude really? How have you missed the threads where he constantly plays covid down, took invermectin when he had Covid, gave platform to that whackjob Malone, and called vaccines gene therapy. 

Anyone who think Rogan is smarter than they are must have no self esteem at all. Going to a twit for advice never ends well.

I'd love to see Spotify grow a pair and turf idiot Rogan, but he's too good a cash cow. They won't. 

That article in Forbes quotes nothing Rogan said and that letter is full of things that were debunked. He did not promote the use of ivermectin, he said it was prescribed to him when he had Covid which later became a big deal when he proved CNN lied about it and what he said about it. 
So I guess to sum things up Neil Young is a stupid old hippy. Thank you 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Yeah, the numbers agree with him. If you’re healthy and young there is a very low morbidity rate. Too bad if people get butt hurt by that. 

Yes, morbidity is clearly all that matters. :tu:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, OverSword said:

That article in Forbes quotes nothing Rogan said and that letter is full of things that were debunked.

Point them out.

He did not promote the use of ivermectin, he said it was prescribed to him when he had Covid which later became a big deal when he proved CNN lied about it and what he said about it. 

BS.

He says mainstream media was lying about it's effectiveness which is just a lie.

His doctor? We that narrows it down and inspires confidence, if you're an idiot. 

CNN said it was a vet drug. That's true. We don't know of Rogan went to the local co-op or actually found a rouge GP to give him what he wanted. We have his word to go on, which isn't worth much. The CNN over reach is a smoke screen to avoid the fact that he was actually being stupid and offering terrible advice. So make a big deal out of the description. You're easily distracted. 

I'd ask you to use your own brain and seek out the real information yourself, but if you support this clown, then that's just too much of an ask. Anyone who listens to Rogan has to be missing a large number of brain cells. 

So I guess to sum things up Neil Young is a stupid old hippy. Thank you 

Nope, sounds like your ignorantly supporting BS to be controversial. Go you. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, and then said:

I doubt he'd do anything that would get too deep into his pocket but if he did, then I'll give him the respect for standing for what he believes.  I've enjoyed a couple of his tunes - when he was part of Crosby Stills and Nash but I lost most respect for him when he wrote and made famous:  SOUTHERN MAN.  He casually defamed an entire region of the nation.  Most down here wouldn't p*** on him if he was on fire.  :yes:

Why Neil Young and Lynyrd Skynyrd were locked in a long-running feud

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

If you’re healthy and young there is a very low morbidity rate.

I'm not. 

I know I just wasted my time with that on you OS, as you have already proven your selfishness and complete lack of regard for anyone other than yourself.  But other readers might get it.

Clearly you can't relate to Neil's advice to take a look at yourself, you not being (or caring about) an old (wo)man, or even admitting their useful existence...  They can all just die off, right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

Yes, morbidity is clearly all that matters. :tu:

It’s not misinformation/lie. That’s what the accusation is.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, psyche101 said:

He says mainstream media was lying about it's effectiveness which is just a lie.

Apparently you didn’t listen to the interview I’m referencing with the medical expert from CNN. That’s you problem not mine. Don’t really care if you believe it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

I'm not. 

I know I just wasted my time with that on you OS, as you have already proven your selfishness and complete lack of regard for anyone other than yourself.  But other readers might get it.

Clearly you can't relate to Neil's advice to take a look at yourself, you not being (or caring about) an old (wo)man, or even admitting their useful existence...  They can all just die off, right?

I’m old and vulnerable and got the vaccine. And unlike when I was younger and didn’t have to really worry about dying from it, the last few years I got the flu vaccine as well. 
As far as your personal nobility and you being vaccinated for the good of everyone else…:w00t: Get over yourself, what a self righteous douche. So full of it. I wonder if you believe that? 

• Haha 1