Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Denmark Set To Lift Covid Curbs, 1st In EU

Only_

"Farewell To Restrictions": Denmark Set To Lift Covid Curbs, 1st In EU

Copenhagen:

Denmark will remove virtually all Covid restrictions from next Tuesday despite record infections, counting on a high vaccination rate to cope with the milder Omicron variant, the government said.

[...]

The successful vaccine programme proved a "super-weapon", Frederiksen said. "It has given us a solid defence against infection that continues.

"That's why the government decided that coronavirus should no longer be considered a threatening disease for society."

Source: https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/denmark-coronavirus-coronavirus-in-denmark-covid-in-denmark-farewell-to-restrictions-denmark-set-to-lift-covid-curbs-1st-in-eu-2731828

Any thoughts?

Edited by Only_
  • Like 5

• The title was changed to Denmark: Omicron No Longer ''A Threatening Disease''

18 minutes ago, Only_ said:

Any thoughts?

At this point, not really. I've pretty much stopped caring about COVID since omicron became the common variant. It's just going to be end up an endemic illness, like the flu/cold... except vaccines will likely be required semi-annually, until they get one that can last for a much longer period of time.

Honestly, I'm much more concerned about this situation that's brewing over in Russia/Ukraine. I couldn't care less about COVID. I am taking precautions and will continue to receive vaccines much like I do with the annual flu shot, but really it's time for me to start trying to live a sense of normalcy before the world goes to hell in a nuclear handbasket.

Edited by Nuclear Wessel
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

It is sensible to lift restrictions and get life back to normal.

If you are overweight then get to a healthy weight.

If you have comorbidity factors then be very careful (why can't the phrma companies move as fast as their bug jab hopes on covid to try and resolve those issues?)

For everyone else. 

Especially as viruses tend to get milder over time.

Get on with living and enjoy life.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

At this point, not really. I've pretty much stopped caring about COVID since omicron became the common variant. It's just going to be end up an endemic illness, like the flu/cold... except vaccines will likely be required semi-annually, until they get one that can last for a much longer period of time.

Honestly, I'm much more concerned about this situation that's brewing over in Russia/Ukraine. I couldn't care less about COVID. I am taking precautions and will continue to receive vaccines much like I do with the annual flu shot, but really it's time for me to start trying to live a sense of normalcy before the world goes to hell in a nuclear handbasket.

I couldn't care less also. I have no fear of COVID since I've got it and I'm also vaccinated. But in my area we are still under heavy restrictions/lockdowns despite a high vaccination rate. It gives me hope that some countries have started to reconsider that approach which clearly didn't seem to be very effective at preventing the spread of Omicron and are now finding ways to learn to live with the virus.

Edited by Only_
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's great. I am all for it. Give it a try and see what happens. Spain was thinking of doing something similar in he near future. 

14 hours ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

If you have comorbidity factors then be very careful (why can't the phrma companies move as fast as their bug jab hopes on covid to try and resolve those issues?)

Big Pharma doesn't benefit from healthy people.

They prefer you to eat a poor diet, lacking exercise, sleep and fresh air so you can be on various types of medications to treat the symptoms.

• Like 5

I hope we will be at that point soon too. Back to normal. Open restaurants, no masks, travel...

But we do have to have in mind how the Danish population and goverment worked well together from the beginning to get to this milestone.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, odas said:

I hope we will be at that point soon too. Back to normal. Open restaurants, no masks, travel...

But we do have to have in mind how the Danish population and goverment worked well together from the beginning to get to this milestone.

Exactly! This is an example of human collaboration and trust in something as odd and unthinkable (to many in the US) as the government and health authorities.
This is not about Omicron being mild, but about vaccine efficiency! We would never had reached this point without a very broad support to the vaccine program.
Daily statistics prove this, with over 50,000 daily infections, but under 50 people totally in the ICU's.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zep73 said:

Exactly! This is an example of human collaboration and trust in something as odd and unthinkable (to many in the US) as the government and health authorities.
This is not about Omicron being mild, but about vaccine efficiency! We would never had reached this point without a very broad support to the vaccine program.
Daily statistics prove this, with over 50,000 daily infections, but under 50 people totally in the ICU's.

Yes. Paranoia, misinformation and conspiracy theories are a powerfull tool as we were able to witness, not only in USA.

I like to keep it simple.

Covid from a lab? Wear a mask and follow experts' guidence 

Covid from a Bat? Wear a mask and follow experts' guidence.

In Canada we are now also in a similar daily infections vs. ICU ratio. I believe thanks to the vaccines the severe cases and deaths are kept to a best possible minimum under the current circumstances.

Cheers to Denmark!:tu:

• Thanks 1

Denmark Decides The Pandemic Is Over

In a move that seems to brand covid an endemic problem, Denmark is going to drop all restrictions and label the virus not a threat to society. England has also lifted restrictions, with recent omicron surges fading, though a report shows the U.K. is suffering racial disparities in vaccines and deaths.

Bloomberg: Denmark Declares Covid No Longer Poses Threat To SocietyDenmark will end virus restrictions next week and reclassify Covid-19 as a disease that no longer poses a threat to society, even as infections hit a record high. The Nordic country won’t extend the pandemic measures beyond Jan. 31, Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen said Wednesday. Denmark’s decision on reclassifying the virus dramatically pushes forward an idea that’s emerged recently in Europe -- that it’s time to start thinking about Covid as endemic rather than a pandemic. 

Link

And here is a video with much more information.

Edited by OverSword

28 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Denmark Decides The Pandemic Is Over

Only WHO can do that.

Denmark is still in an Omicron epidemic, but it's decided that it's not a threat to our health care system.
We are, however, prepared for new mutations, come October or November, and for a potential second booster jab.

Nobody thinks anything is over for good.

Edited by zep73
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, zep73 said:

Only WHO can do that.

Regardless, you guys, as of tomorrow are declaring it endemic not pandemic.  You want; to argue about that argue with your government. 

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

Just now, OverSword said:

Regardless, you guys, as of tomorrow are declaring endemic not pandemic.  You want; to argue about that argue with your government. 

It's just that a pandemic is not in one single country. There is no pandemic in Denmark. It's in the whole world.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, zep73 said:

It's just that a pandemic is not in one single country. There is no pandemic in Denmark. It's in the whole world.

I know

• Like 1

Denmark are declaring Covid endemic in Denmark.   It is still a pandemic

Check the dictonary ;)  

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Denmark Set To Lift Covid Curbs, 1st In EU
13 minutes ago, Essan said:

Denmark are declaring Covid endemic in Denmark.   It is still a pandemic

Check the dictonary ;)  

Maybe Denmark thinks it's stable now.  The seasonal flu, although a world wide occurrence is not counted as a pandemic. 

A pandemic is an epidemic of an infectious disease that has spread across a large region, for instance multiple continents or worldwide, affecting a substantial number of individuals. A widespread endemic disease with a stable number of infected individuals is not a pandemic

Edited by OverSword

I suspect, hope, that Canada will do the same soon. With 85% of fully vaccinated we should be able to open up everything with minor restrictions.

However that will be up to the provinces first and then on the federal level.

Maybe omicron was the "cure" that we were waiting for.

On 1/31/2022 at 1:36 PM, zep73 said:

Nobody thinks anything is over for good.

Apparently, WA agrees with you, completely:

I'll direct your attention to the 3 offending actions. 

Threaten.  This one is relatively simple and I agree, no one should threaten (harm, presumably) on any person who is doing their job. Next is a bit more troubling. 

Intimidate.  How does the law define this?  Some people are EXTREMELY susceptible to this level of fear.  Who decides?  And Finally - the capper...

"Offensive to".  Do I seriously have to explain how completely insane this standard would be, ANYWHERE in the world in 2022?  People get offended by puppies and daffodils.   In certain communities these two offenders may well be ensigns of whiteness and rise to the level of microaggressions.  Do you see where I'm headed here?  

What are your prizes for playing?  Up to a year behind bars and 50 thousand dollars fine.   Yeah, nah, OZ aint doin' fine...

• Like 1

Good news.

10 hours ago, and then said:

Apparently, WA agrees with you, completely:

I'll direct your attention to the 3 offending actions. 

Threaten.  This one is relatively simple and I agree, no one should threaten (harm, presumably) on any person who is doing their job. Next is a bit more troubling. 

Intimidate.  How does the law define this?  Some people are EXTREMELY susceptible to this level of fear.  Who decides?  And Finally - the capper...

"Offensive to".  Do I seriously have to explain how completely insane this standard would be, ANYWHERE in the world in 2022?  People get offended by puppies and daffodils.   In certain communities these two offenders may well be ensigns of whiteness and rise to the level of microaggressions.  Do you see where I'm headed here?  

What are your prizes for playing?  Up to a year behind bars and 50 thousand dollars fine.   Yeah, nah, OZ aint doin' fine...

Seems harsh, but you should never take anything at face value. Instead, ask someone who knows what it's about, in this case an Aussie. We got plenty of them on the forum. I would ask @psyche101. There could be a good reason they had to sharpen the legislation.

In Denmark we have maximum penalties for everything, but the judges rarely even get close to the max. 'Slaps on the wrist' are the most common penalty given, even when the law gives room for several years in prison.