Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why Your Brain Wants to Believe in Ghosts and the Supernatural

OverSword

12 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Physics proves there's no afterlife.

Live in a fantasy. Nobody cares. Just don't drag others down with you. 

Physics?  How?  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, openozy said:

I agree but you are still looking at this with the current knowledge and stopping there. What will humans consider as a given in 1000 years we will never know and couldn't at this stage.

Even in ten thousand years, water will still be two molecules of hydrogen and one of oxygen. These are basics as well established as two plus two equals four. 

That's what won't change and says the afterlife doesn't exist. Current knowledge will surely expand, but the basics that knowledge is built from won't. 

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

That's what won't change and says the afterlife doesn't exist

I don't think we have an afterlife, just this life. The composition of water hardly disproves paranormal.

10 hours ago, OverSword said:

Physics?  How?  

I've noted this many times on here so I'll be brief.

Basically the complexity of neural connections in your brain can't be maintained beyond death. Decomposition is quick as those connections break down. There is no force that exists which could maintain that complexity. If there was, we could detect it.

There is also a video at the link I've posted that nobody watches. It's a detailed explanation of the above. If anyone does give it a go, skip part the introduction. It's as far as most get.

https://www.preposterousuniverse.com/blog/2015/01/03/life-is-the-flame-of-a-candle/

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, openozy said:

I don't think we have an afterlife, just this life. The composition of water hardly disproves paranormal.

See this is what I'm talking about. Flippant dismissal.

I didn't say the composition of water disproves the paranormal at all. I used it as an example to illustrate how solid the foundations of physics actually is. They disprove the paranormal. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Basically the complexity of neural connections in your brain can't be maintained beyond death. Decomposition is quick as those connections break down. There is no force that exists which could maintain that complexity. If there was, we could detect it.

There is also a video at the link I've posted that nobody watches. It's a detailed explanation of the above. If anyone does give it a go, skip part the introduction. It's as far as most get.

https://www.preposterousuniverse.com/blog/2015/01/03/life-is-the-flame-of-a-candle/

Doesn't prove anything apart from the body dying. 

2 hours ago, psyche101 said:

See this is what I'm talking about. Flippant dismissal.

If you are talking about you dismissing the paranormal on scientific grounds, yes I see.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, openozy said:

Doesn't prove anything apart from the body dying. 

The brain is part of the body.

5 minutes ago, openozy said:

If you are talking about you dismissing the paranormal on scientific grounds, yes I see.

Cool. It's very well established science. We learn this stuff in school, but just don't connect the dots. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

The brain is part of the body.

But not part of the soul. We will never see eye to eye on this, so it's a pointless discussion.

3 hours ago, openozy said:

But not part of the soul. We will never see eye to eye on this, so it's a pointless discussion.

How is what you consider a soul different from a traditional ghost?

• Like 2

That whole "soul" thing, did my cat who died and i miss have a soul, if a human an advanced ape has a soul then my cat does.

Souls and ghosts were invented by folks scared out of their wits that death is the end ( sorry to nick cave )

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, psyche101 said:

How is what you consider a soul different from a traditional ghost?

Your soul is your essence, energy and I believe a ghost is just a moment in time replayed of a physical body that has passed, in no way a lost soul trapped on Earth. Your brain is not pure love like your soul, just an organic computer. You did ask 101, lol.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, the13bats said:

That whole "soul" thing, did my cat who died and i miss have a soul, if a human an advanced ape has a soul then my cat does.

Souls and ghosts were invented by folks scared out of their wits that death is the end ( sorry to nick cave )

Lately I have become totally unafraid of death, I don't know why but I still experience things paranormal, so saying ghosts are fear related is just not true. I think Nick Cave's music is cool by the way. I also believe every living thing has a soul including plants and even you bats.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, openozy said:

Lately I have become totally unafraid of death, I don't know why but I still experience things paranormal, so saying ghosts are fear related is just not true. I think Nick Cave's music is cool by the way. I also believe every living thing has a soul including plants and even you bats.

I play nick cave every friday at the club.

This week will be red right hand or mercy seat or both.

Hum, lets start with i dont pigeon hole everyone into a one size fits all or even most type idea in fact i find most times each person is unique even if they share a trait here or there with another person.

I would be rather delighted if you and others who believe in a soul are correct and i am wrong however the evidence simply isnt there to support it.

I wont say "lately" because its been going on longer but my "mental issues" some are getting worse or at least morphing, and in turn i relate in a way to the mindset of not fearing something we cant change anyway it has also caused me not to coddle, i am not going to be mean either unless im attacked.

While we will never agree on the topic of paranormal whether you will accept it or not all you have are your alleged experences and all you can offer is stories no evidence which i know for some who make such claims has to be very frustrating and i guess in a way i understand why some take it out on a skeptic. If it makes you feel any better i think you believe your experences are real and i think they are real in your mind, yeah i believe paranormal is a mind trick a mental issue which doesnt exist outside the believers mind.

On the other hand a believer needs to grasp if they make a claim and offer no evidence or proof they have no right to get cross with a doubter for not being a gullible naive credulous person willing to believe everything on stories alone, ( papaG does that just fine ).

You know people make a lot of claims if one consider its been going on for decades by countless people  so its not out of line to expect if said claims are true and real then they could be shown off and to this day nothing not one time has anything paranormal been proven

Anyway i still will stand by believing that the idea of ghosts, souls, life after death etc are human created concepts because of fears of when we die thats it game over.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Yeas I've said that before and made a lady cry when she realized it's probably all over after you're dead.  However it takes some pretty weird physics theories to explain a couple of things I've experienced.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, psyche101 said:

You are there just arguing that neural connections can't be maintained beyond death. I've never heard an afterlife believer claim they can be maintained beyond death.

The standard afterlife theory is that consciousness itself and the afterlife are non-physical and beyond direct detection of the physical senses and instruments. I don't see any physical way of refuting that belief.

Certainly an afterlife makes no sense in a materialist-physicalist philosophy. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, the13bats said:

and in turn i relate in a way to the mindset of not fearing something we cant change anyway it has also caused me not to coddle,

That could be a reason of me losing the fear, getting older and accepting the inevitable.

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, openozy said:

That could be a reason of me losing the fear, getting older and accepting the inevitable.

I used the sad face because i hear you and believe thats why i am how i am, im 57 and as i loose things in life that hurt to loose each time i also get a bit more odd weird numb part of that is my mental issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, the13bats said:

I used the sad face because i hear you and believe thats why i am how i am, im 57 and as i loose things in life that hurt to loose each time i also get a bit more odd weird numb part of that is my mental issues.

Just life bats, I'm 58 and get where you are but hey, we made it. You have to enjoy each phase of your life. We now don't have to worry about fashion, being bald, fat or ugly, great time really. I found my twenties the worst, always big dramas that seen so little now. I like being older. Just relax man and be the wise old guy ;).

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, openozy said:

Just life bats, I'm 58 and get where you are but hey, we made it. You have to enjoy each phase of your life. We now don't have to worry about fashion, being bald, fat or ugly, great time really. I found my twenties the worst, always big dramas that seen so little now. I like being older. Just relax man and be the wise old guy ;).

I guess so, i did gain weight but my hair is still to my butt dyed bright red my fashion, 6 pocket army pants and t shirts with over shirt or jacket, ugly? Can i call me odd looking, lol.

i do when its smooth love my club work, a couple weeks ago its about 830pm at the club a few barflies but its not the packed dancing crowd until late,

Two couples who look old to me see me and the guy says you remind me of ozzy, lol i dont much look like ozzy but i say thanks he says i guess calling a young guy like you ozzy dated me?

I said no, i grew up with both Sabbath and ozzy he says no way how old are you i said 57 he gets in a tizzy says no way you are older than i am no way, his buddies and the wives laugh so i do have that i guess,

My damn brain seldom allows me to relax i get over exhausted tired but you get what i mean, but i do accept this phase of life.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, openozy said:

Your soul is your essence, energy and I believe a ghost is just a moment in time replayed of a physical body that has passed, in no way a lost soul trapped on Earth. Your brain is not pure love like your soul, just an organic computer. You did ask 101, lol.

I did and thanks for your answer. It helps. 

It's a step beyond what I propose really happens, which is atoms are recycled. You probably could appreciate how Lawrence Krauss puts it:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQZjCAB3rrV6XzqL4DrU5p

• Like 3

12 hours ago, OverSword said:

Yeas I've said that before and made a lady cry when she realized it's probably all over after you're dead. 

Might be best to discriminate who you offer the information to. I wouldn't bother explaining it to an older person who has been religious all their life. They have a deep investment and there's not really any point in destroying a life long belief. 

However it takes some pretty weird physics theories to explain a couple of things I've experienced.

No doubt, but what makes things mysterious is our inability to know everything. There is an answer, wether it is one either of us proposed or not, but as physics shows afterlife to be a dead end human idea, I don't see the point in superstitious answers. There has to be better answers. 

The afterlife is a man made idea. That, IMHO, is more than enough reason to question it's validity.

Edited by psyche101
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, openozy said:

A soul is a figment of the imagination.

• Like 2

Yeas I've said that before and made a lady cry when she realized it's probably all over after you're dead.  However it takes some pretty weird physics theories to explain a couple of things I've experienced.

Doubt it!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

You are there just arguing that neural connections can't be maintained beyond death. I've never heard an afterlife believer claim they can be maintained beyond death.

The standard afterlife theory is that consciousness itself and the afterlife are non-physical and beyond direct detection of the physical senses and instruments. I don't see any physical way of refuting that belief.

Certainly an afterlife makes no sense in a materialist-physicalist philosophy. 

More stories.More stories with an absurd excuse. You have nothing but absurdity to add to any thread.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, stereologist said:

A soul is a figment of the imagination.

Imagination is how new things are discovered.

• Like 1