Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Winter Storm Kenan to Hit Parts of East Coast With Heavy Snow, Strong Winds and Coastal Flooding

Grim Reaper 6

A potent winter storm is forecast to wallop the East Coast on Friday and Saturday, forecasters said, with heavy snow and howling winds possible from the Carolinas to Maine. "Confidence is increasing that a significant winter storm will create considerable impacts Friday through the weekend from the Mid-Atlantic through the Northeast," the National Weather Service said Wednesday. The Weather Service added: "Heavy snow is most likely in parts of New England, but is also possible farther south along the East Coast, including the major I-95 metro areas from New York City to Washington, D.C.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2022/01/26/noreaster-bomb-cyclone-latest-winter-storm/9226501002/

• Thanks 2

Right at the moment, our weather people don't know what to tell us to expect. The models keep swinging. It all depends on how close to the coastline the storm comes. So now it's prepare for the worse and hope for the best. We who are more inland and northern will not get it as bad as south Jersey and the coast, but it's supposed to really hit New England as a full blown nor'easter.

The bad thing is, it's so cold the snow quickly turns to ice. That's what happened to all the snow we already have on the ground. These arctic blasts are terrible.

Here's the latest report for my corner of the country.

https://6abc.com/pennsylvania-weather-philadelphia-jersey-shore-philly/49644/

Edited by susieice
  • Like 4

The other weather person from Channel 6 just checked in. She is warning that this is a very fluid situation as the storm sets up and is subject to change. I'm in the 1-3' area right now. That won't be so bad.

May be an image of map, sky and text that says 'obc EXPECTED SNOWFALL Friday Night/Saturday Moum Pocono 1-3" Allentown Reading Lancaster 3-6 Trenton Philadelphia Lakehurst Wilmingt 6-12" Millville Atlantic City Dover Wildwood'

• Like 3

The newer reports from the models are bringing the storm closer to the coast. Here's the new map prediction. I don't know, but I would think if the coastal areas got a jump like this, snow totals would jump inland too. Not sure how much faith I can put in this but I'm still in 1-3" range.

May be an image of map, sky and text that says 'C obc Friday Night/Saturday Night/ EXPECTED SNOWFALL Mount Potono -3" Allentown Reading 3-6" Trenton Philadelphia Wilmington 6-12" kancaster Lakehurst Dover Millville Atlantic City 12-18" Wildwood'

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, susieice said:

The newer reports from the models are bringing the storm closer to the coast. Here's the new map prediction. I don't know, but I would think if the coastal areas got a jump like this, snow totals would jump inland too. Not sure how much faith I can put in this but I'm still in 1-3" range.

May be an image of map, sky and text that says 'C obc Friday Night/Saturday Night/ EXPECTED SNOWFALL Mount Potono -3" Allentown Reading 3-6" Trenton Philadelphia Wilmington 6-12" kancaster Lakehurst Dover Millville Atlantic City 12-18" Wildwood'

Well let’s hope it stays in the 1-3 inch range, because over all this storm is looking pretty bad and it appears those on the coast may get hammered!

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Well let’s hope it stays in the 1-3 inch range, because over all this storm is looking pretty bad and it appears those on the coast may get hammered!

These snow bands that they have up are narrow compared to what they usually are. The 3-6" is literally right below me now. If it stays like this I think we'll get more. The coast will get the worse of this but it will slam right into lower Rhode Island and Connecticut. Then eastern New England. They want a lot of wind with this too. 

It's going to snow and I'm not going anywhere so I'll just stay in and let my new shot settle and start to work. It's the weekend so there will be less people on the roads who have to be at work. I feel sorry for them because they said the wind will blow this stuff around and road crews will have a hard go at keeping roads cleared. Stay in if you can. They'll dig us out pretty quick after this passes. I just hope we don't lose power or this doesn't all turn to ice like the snow we already have. It's so cold.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 3

I’m right on the edge of it. Could go either way. Maybe a dusting, maybe 8-10 inches. I’m ready for a big storm. We haven’t had one yet. 

• Like 2

It's snowing here now but we were supposed to get around and inch earlier in the day as the arctic front moves in. I don't think the main storm arrives until around 7 tonight.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, susieice said:

It's snowing here now but we were supposed to get around and inch earlier in the day as the arctic front moves in. I don't think the main storm arrives until around 7 tonight.

Good luck and take care.

Were the supermarkets a madhouse the past couple days?  Anything left on the shelves?   

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Myles said:

Good luck and take care.

Were the supermarkets a madhouse the past couple days?  Anything left on the shelves?   

It wasn't too bad at the store yesterday.

There's a brining truck driving past right now, so they're getting the roads ready. Our local weather authority has my area up to 3-7 inches. They've been pretty accurate through the last storms. Full blizzard conditions along the coast.

May be an image of 1 person, map and text that says 'LWA WEATHER 90 Fri/Sat Storm Highly Volatile* Map#11 Issued01/28/22 1/28/22 79 81 376 SCRANTONS 84 476 HARR SBUR 76 70 NOW HIRING Positions Available Comprehensive Benefits Package cliu.org 610-769-4111x x1292 83 ALLENTOWN 3-7" 7-12" 276 12-16" 16-24" 95 610.863.6062 FORWARD THINKING FUEL CELL PETROL..INC. PETROL. 1ST SESSION FREE! TRAINFTF.COM Trust HOF&REID Personal Injury Law'

Edited by susieice
  • Like 3

I remember the blizzard in the late 1970's in Missouri.   I was only 8 at the time.

We got over 35 inches of snow.   My older brothers had to take the screen door of and tunnel out while me and another brother took buckets of snow to the sink and toilets.  My older brothers had to get to the roof to get the snow off so the roof wouldn't collapse.  We were off school for a long time.  

• Like 2

We've been lucky so far this year as most of the storms have stayed offshore and hitting south and east of us. We aren't getting a lot of snow. It's just cold.

• Like 2

It stopped snowing a while ago. Now it's just wait and see what happens. 

@JVG What do you think about all these predictions? You're just north of me.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, susieice said:

These snow bands that they have up are narrow compared to what they usually are. The 3-6" is literally right below me now. If it stays like this I think we'll get more. The coast will get the worse of this but it will slam right into lower Rhode Island and Connecticut. Then eastern New England. They want a lot of wind with this too. 

It's going to snow and I'm not going anywhere so I'll just stay in and let my new shot settle and start to work. It's the weekend so there will be less people on the roads who have to be at work. I feel sorry for them because they said the wind will blow this stuff around and road crews will have a hard go at keeping roads cleared. Stay in if you can. They'll dig us out pretty quick after this passes. I just hope we don't lose power or this doesn't all turn to ice like the snow we already have. It's so cold.

Staying in sounds like the right Idea, stay safe Susie!

• Like 2

@susieiceI think the weather people have done a pretty good job so far but I think we will be in the 3 to 6 inch range. It finally stopped snowing here that started at 7 this morning. The roads are fine but where we had snow on the ground has gone up by at least 2 inches of new powder. Stay safe and warm susie…

• Like 1

The maps for today have pretty much kept us at 1-3" but this will be fluid as to how the track goes. This storm seems to be made for New England. Our local weatherman said Boston should expect 2 feet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, susieice said:

The maps for today have pretty much kept us at 1-3" but this will be fluid as to how the track goes. This storm seems to be made for New England. Our local weatherman said Boston should expect 2 feet.

Hi, Susieice, good to see you.

I'm a little north of Boston but it looks like people to the south and west of the city will get 28". My area will get 18".
But like you said, Susie, it could change in a flash. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Hi, Susieice, good to see you.

I'm a little north of Boston but it looks like people to the south and west of the city will get 28". My area will get 18".
But like you said, Susie, it could change in a flash. 

Hi Earl! OMG! Stay safe and warm. That's a lot of snow! They want winds around 55mph with this storm, so it will be full-blown blizzard conditions and visibility will be very low along the coastline where the main snowfall in this area is. There will be wind everywhere the snow falls but not as bad. My immediate area will be around 30mph. This is a bad storm for those in it's path. It will have the same air pressure as a CAT 2 hurricane.

272762806_476728613820604_5337764170011744045_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=saCEiJTuAeUAX8SGdxQ&tn=yqxX_2PJGn-oqiC6&_nc_ht=scontent.fwbw1-1.fna&oh=00_AT8sA15VL-9iQJmqgpOiAKaVbUjoSI4oD8rQhrc64K9mQg&oe=61F968C0

Let us know how you're doing.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

It's not snowing here right now. I haven't seen any reports from the coast or Philadelphia yet.

• Like 1

It's snowing everywhere now, including here. It is accumulating. 

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

It doesn't look like we got more than an inch or two. It's only 18F with wind chills in the single digits with a very light snow still coming down. The Jersey shore is reporting from 11-13 inches and it's still snowing like crazy. It won't stop there until sometime this afternoon. 

How are you doing up there @JVG?

• Like 1

No more snow for me in Indiana.   Still have the 2 inches or so from last weekend.    Very cold though.   -8 this morning.  

• Like 2

I have a real good friend who lives in Wildwood on the Jersey shore. Here's some pictures she just sent. Both of her doors had snow piled on them and they had to force the back door open.

May be an image of snow

May be an image of outdoors

• Sad 1

I just went outside to look. We have about 3" now and it's still snowing. The wind is crazy but not as bad as on the coast.

• Like 2