Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pentagon puts 8,500 troops on 'heightened alert' as U.S. weighs military action against Russia

Grim Reaper 6

The United States is discussing the deployment of American military forces to Eastern Europe with its NATO allies, a senior administration official said Monday, as President Joe Biden weighs options for responding to Russian threats against Ukraine. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin has placed 8,500 troops on “heightened alert” to assist with the defense of NATO allies, Pentagon spokesman John Kirby said during a news briefing Monday. He said no deployment orders have been given.

I want to reinforce that as of now, the decision has been made to put these units on higher alert and higher alert only," said Kirby. "No decisions have been made to deploy forces from the United States at this time." With Moscow massing more than 100,000 troops at its neighbor's border and no diplomatic breakthrough in sight, the West is stepping up its response amid mounting fears an invasion could be imminent.

Biden participated in a roughly 90-minute video conference with European leaders Monday afternoon to discuss Russia’s military buildup on Ukraine’s borders, the White House said. NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson, Polish President Andrzej Duda, French President Emmanuel Macron, German Chancellor Olaf Scholz, Italian Prime Minister Mario Draghi and other leaders participated in the call.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/national-security/defense-secretary-presents-biden-options-us-response-russia-rcna13240

U.S. Puts 8,500 Troops on Alert for Possible Deployment to Europe Amid Ukraine Crisis: https://time.com/6141675/us-troops-alert-ukraine/

Pentagon says 8,500 troops placed on heightened alert amid tensions in Ukraine: https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/watch-live-pentagon-press-secretary-john-kirby-holds-a-news-briefing-as-ukraine-tensions-rise

Welp. It's been a good run, America. I wonder which language is easier to learn, Russian or Chinese...

6 minutes ago, Joke_Master_Mandy said:

Welp. It's been a good run, America. I wonder which language is easier to learn, Russian or Chinese...

Russian by far.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You have to appreciate the drama of the situation.  If Putin and Biden pull us back from the brink of war, first it is exciting and then a relief.  If they settle it with a phone call, nobody cares or thinks its a big deal.   Cant get much mileage out of that. Putin can save the Russian people from genocide and get a few concessions from NATO too maybe.  A big win for him.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

You have to appreciate the drama of the situation.  If Putin and Biden pull us back from the brink of war, first it is exciting and then a relief.  If they settle it with a phone call, nobody cares or thinks its a big deal.   Cant get much mileage out of that. Putin can save the Russian people from genocide and get a few concessions from NATO too maybe.  A big win for him.

I think it’s a question of Putins actions here. He has been threatening the Ukraine since 2017, and started doing this after he invaded the Crimea. Now since this problem began it’s all been in Putins favor, I mean between 2017 - 2019 NATO was effectively sidelined. But. Now the NATO alliance has been put back together, and if the Ukraine were invaded our NATO Allie’s are very concerned about who’s next. So every European Country except Germany for some reason is standing up to support the Ukraine, because they realize it’s better to fight a conflict on foreign soil, than on their own soil.

Just in my opinion, I don’t believe Putin has any plans to back down, I also don’t think he is posturing either. I believe he was intent on an invasion. However, now he is going to have to decide if it will be worth it or not which hopefully may prevent an invasion. If not I believe NATO will fight, and I don’t think Putin will like what he gets. Because our European Allie’s will be fighting for their lives, because they are afraid of whose next, and because of that they will give it all they got!

Peace Tate!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Just in my opinion, I don’t believe Putin has any plans to back down, I also don’t think he is posturing either. I believe he was intent on an invasion. However, now he is going to have to decide if it will be worth it or not which hopefully may prevent an invasion. If not I believe NATO will fight, and I don’t think Putin will like what he gets. Because our European Allie’s will be fighting for their lives, because they are afraid of whose next, and because of that they will give it all they got!

We need to remember that Putin sees the Ukraine as "his", in a sense. I've said this before, but I really think Putin would rather see Ukraine reduced to rubble and ashes if it means that he could still take the territory, because either way it would have a use.

• Like 2

Personally I couldn’t care less about protecting Ukraines boarder. Especially because they have abandoned our own boarder, and are letting the entirety of South America cross right over unimpeded. And it’s causing a genocide of Americans between 18-35 with all the dangerous drugs they are bringing in. From what I’ve heard it’s now suddenly the number one cause of death in that age range. 

But we are going to start a world war over another country’s boarder, thousands of miles away? No thanks. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I also have thought of King Solomon's lesson in cutting the baby in half. It's as if Ukraine is just a bargaining chip. Is it worth it to risk the whole country demolished? If Russia stands down, then maybe it has more to do with Ukraine than anyone else. Unless they are willing to pave over it?

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

Personally I couldn’t care less about protecting Ukraines boarder. Especially because they have abandoned our own boarder, and are letting the entirety of South America cross right over unimpeded. And it’s causing a genocide of Americans between 18-35 with all the dangerous drugs they are bringing in. From what I’ve heard it’s now suddenly the number one cause of death in that age range. 

But we are going to start a world war over another country’s boarder, thousands of miles away? No thanks. 

Well then.  That certainly is a post. 

They are going to hype this up to the boiling point and then credit Biden with defusing the situation with his keen negotiation skills, raw strength and presidency of steel. It will be the greatest day in American history.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, el midgetron said:

They are going to hype this up to the boiling point and then credit Biden with defusing the situation with his keen negotiation skills, raw strength and presidency of steel. It will be the greatest day in American history.

Must of hurt terribly to type that. :lol:

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, el midgetron said:

That seems to be the way the game is played by both sides.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, el midgetron said:

Look, Biden sucks, but we all know Trump would just go polish Putin's balls and fawn like a 10 year old girl at a BTS concert

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

You do realize that drugs get in here regardless of walls and whatnot, right? The Cartel used /****ing catapults/ to get narcotics over the barriers put up during Bush II's administration. The fact of the matter is, we need to address the issues that are driving people to come here illegally and run drugs in the first place, otherwise they'll just keep on truckin'

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Autochthon1990 said:

The fact of the matter is, we need to address the issues that are driving people to come here illegally and run drugs in the first place, otherwise they'll just keep on truckin'

How can we fix the problems of other nations without occupying them? Is it even our responsibility to do so?

10 hours ago, Joke_Master_Mandy said:

I've had some chinese lessons in college, thanks to Chinese Govt (great now I'll be a future chinese supporter suspect :ph34r::rofl::lol:), and it was not that difficult, unfortunatly I was doing classes all day and could not keep up with the rhythm.

• Haha 1

Don `nt we get every American out of Ukraine before sending our troops in ? when Russia start attacking Ukraine?

Edited by docyabut2

7 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

And it’s causing a genocide of Americans between 18-35 with all the dangerous drugs they are bringing in. From what I’ve heard it’s now suddenly the number one cause of death in that age range. 

Dangerous drugs?  Are you sure those are not just more government lies.  How do you know? Why do you want to prevent people from taking alternative drugs that save their lives?  Plenty of sites on the internet will tell you how wonderful drugs are. Why do you believe medical experts that tell you they are dangerous? What makes you believe all those government stories about crack heads and crime? Those are people whose life saving drugs have been withheld by a government that wants to control everybody. Just search the internet some podcast will tell you that its a lie.  You just have to search for  the right sites.

Why are you against personal freedom? Why do you support that much government interference into citizen's lives? What gives the government a right to tell people what to do even if it is to protect other citizens?

Disgusted and impatient yet?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tatetopa said:

Dangerous drugs?  Are you sure those are not just more government lies.  How do you know? Why do you want to prevent people from taking alternative drugs that save their lives?  Plenty of sites on the internet will tell you how wonderful drugs are. Why do you believe medical experts that tell you they are dangerous? What makes you believe all those government stories about crack heads and crime? Those are people whose life saving drugs have been withheld by a government that wants to control everybody. Just search the internet some podcast will tell you that its a lie.  You just have to search for  the right sites.

Why are you against personal freedom? Why do you support that much government interference into citizen's lives? What gives the government a right to tell people what to do even if it is to protect other citizens?

Disgusted and impatient yet?

Y'all know the "drugs" that are actually killing these kids come from pharmacies, right? 

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, HSlim said:

Y'all know the "drugs" that are actually killing these kids come from pharmacies, right? 

You mean like the Sacklers who owned Purdue Pharma?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

You mean like the Sacklers who owned Purdue Pharma?

Perdue, Abbott Labs, Pfizer, Novartis, Covidien, Watson and Endo.... all contributed to the creation of the current opioid epidemic. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

Just do what you did last time, wait until someone attacks one of your ports.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HSlim said:

Perdue, Abbott Labs, Pfizer, Novartis, Covidien, Watson and Endo.... all contributed to the creation of the current opioid epidemic. 

Wow, none of those guys seem like illegal immigrants smuggling drugs into the country in their backpacks.  Are you trying to say the genocide of Americans through opioids that Preacherman refers to could be an inside job?

But then how could we blame it on Joe Biden if it is American corporations? 

• Like 1