Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Officers should be allowed to sleep on the job while on night shifts says union chief

Dreamer screamer

We want to be sleeping policemen! Officers should be allowed to sleep on the job says union chief as she insists it will help them fight crime

Police Officers could boost their productivity if allowed to take naps while on night shifts, a union chief has claimed. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10454537/We-want-sleeping-policemen-Officers-allowed-sleep-job-says-union-chief.html

:sleepy: fighting crime sarge...:sm

Surely they would have to be in twos?   what if they miss an important shout?

Edited by Still Waters
Source link added
  • Haha 2

• The title was changed to Officers should be allowed to sleep on the job while on night shifts says union
  • The title was changed to Officers should be allowed to sleep on the job while on night shifts says union chief

Who could sleep with the very real possibility they could be ambushed and killed? Or has it not gotten that crazy over there yet?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Who could sleep with the very real possibility they could be ambushed and killed? Or has it not gotten that crazy over there yet?

Yes... very crazy over here. 

That's the trouble though, they are so feared now because the way society is structured that they literally can do anything they like, even sleep knowing they will not be harmed.   Dark times are here again.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Michelle said:

List of British police officers killed in the line of duty

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_police_officers_killed_in_the_line_of_duty

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

List of British police officers killed in the line of duty

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_police_officers_killed_in_the_line_of_duty

Going back to 1812.  :lol:   Stay in this century and what is happening now....

They can do whatever they want, but they will get caught.   Shame I couldn't find the video where the police officer was stating "who are they gonna believe, me or you??  and of course we all know the answer to that one.

http://www.huytonfreeman.co.uk/

Police Employees and Public Servants sacked, or charged or convicted of an offence 2009 to 2021 - V41.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Dreamer screamer said:

Going back to 1812.  :lol:   

I wasn't talking to you but, yep.... less than a hundred killed since 1812 in this 'very crazy' violent Britain of ours.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

I wasn't talking to you but, yep.... less than a hundred killed since 1812 in this 'very crazy' violent Britain of ours.

That was the point though.   I wasn't saying we live in a violent place, we live in a place where the police can do anything like sleep and not have a problem with being attacked.   Yes there was police killed through nutters on the streets taking things too far, but today the police are way too powerful with over use of powers they believe they can abuse.

Listen to the detective she will arrest under a Policing law.   "i will arrest you under a policing law."  are you kidding me????

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=943129732990876&extid=CL-UNK-UNK-UNK-AN_GK0T-GK1C&ref=sharing

Then the higher ups had to apologise for this stupidity of their detectives. 

So my point is the police are being allowed to sleep for better police service?     Looks like they're asleep by not knowing their jobs. 

The dark times are they can do anything they like with no consequences.  Even sleeping on the job, will their be consequences for missing jobs???

Edited by Dreamer screamer
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Dreamer screamer said:

That was the point though.   

I wasn't talking to you!  I was responding to Michelle.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

I wasn't talking to you!  I was responding to Michelle.

I know. You're keeping the narrative how violent Britain is.  I am showing how it is not.  So of course you don't want to respond to me as I am showing proof we are not  in a violent country, well not as vilent as you and your facts are trying to point out.

The dark times are the lies and laws being over used.   Police have resonable suspicion in their handbooks; however, that reasonable suspicion could mean we are all terrorists, even a twelve year old could be a terrorist.

https://wnyt.com/montgomery-county-ny-news/amsterdam-montgomery-county-student-arrested-for-allegedly-threatening-to-shoot-people-at-school-wilbur-h-lynch-literacy-academy/6368128/

I wonder if she will go on a terror list like osama bin laden?     :lol:

It will happen here, I know it.    "I was sleeping sarge and woke up to this twelve year old staring at me whilst I was in the car, I had to tazer her sarge, i just didn't know if she was a terrorist or not when I woke up."    You know it is coming...:whistle:

Edited by Dreamer screamer
  • Sad 1

Like Firefighters ?  Firefighters can sleep in between calls, they get no guaranteed rest time. ... isn't it ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thedutchiedutch said:

Like Firefighters ?  Firefighters can sleep in between calls, they get no guaranteed rest time. ... isn't it ?

Not exactly. Firefighters have a nice safe station to nap in.The police are out in the open, in their cars, where people have been ambushing them while they are wide awake. Asleep they are sitting ducks.

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Not exactly. Firefighters have a nice safe station to nap in.The police are out in the open, in their cars, where people have been ambushing them while they are wide awake. Asleep they are sitting ducks.

Sadly, they need to begin installing bullet-proof windows in their vehicles.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, and then said:

That would never be in the budget. Before our local police force required their cars to have dashcams a lot of officers bought them themselves. 

7 hours ago, Michelle said:

Secure location perhaps, certainly not dozing off in a squad car on the street.

26 minutes ago, and then said:

Yes.  That  might  help and maybe more practical than some other budget items.  Probably armored doors as well like a hummer.  Maybe that is something to do with some of that military surplus.

16 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Secure location perhaps, certainly not dozing off in a squad car on the street.

They have to stay in the area they are patrolling for the most part. The areas they have to patrol diligently aren't ideal for a nap. Depends on what part of town they are in I guess, but none of them have secure locations for naps. At least not in my city. Napping is frowned upon by the administration.

1 hour ago, Michelle said:

They have to stay in the area they are patrolling for the most part. The areas they have to patrol diligently aren't ideal for a nap. Depends on what part of town they are in I guess, but none of them have secure locations for naps. At least not in my city. Napping is frowned upon by the administration.

If they are napping they aren't patrolling, they could just as well leave the area.  I worked graveyard shift for about 4 years. It was tough to get used to but I wasn't in danger from other people.  That has got to be so hard. And you have to think that a lot of strange things come out at night.  Sleepy cops like sleepy doctors can make fatal mistakes. Being tough and gutting it out might slow down reactions.  If it is important to have the most alert police possible, then maybe a nap back at the station mid shift would be a good thing.  Surely if they wanted,  to the city could  make some arrangement.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

If they are napping they aren't patrolling, they could just as well leave the area.  I worked graveyard shift for about 4 years. It was tough to get used to but I wasn't in danger from other people.  That has got to be so hard. And you have to think that a lot of strange things come out at night.  Sleepy cops like sleepy doctors can make fatal mistakes. Being tough and gutting it out might slow down reactions.  If it is important to have the most alert police possible, then maybe a nap back at the station mid shift would be a good thing.  Surely if they wanted,  to the city could  make some arrangement.

It doesn't help that they are so underpaid a lot of them work a second job. A nap mid shift would be fine if they aren't understaffed, which most departments are. My city can't hire any more cops because they don't have enough minorities. Minorities have even been offered $1000 start up pay to get them to apply but not much luck.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, and then said:

You watch too many movies.

This story pretty much sums up the modern police force in the UK for me.

"Like Firefighters ?  Firefighters can sleep in between calls, they get no guaranteed rest time. ... isn't it ? " 

No nothing like firefighters. There isn't always a fire to put out. There are however hundreds / thousands of real crimes that the police just cannot be bothered to investigate. Police as a rule do not bother to investigate domestic burgularies these days, or car theft. In fact the chances of ringing a police station & talking to an actual police officer is fairly slim (bit like the NHS in that respect).  The stock answer is to be offered a 'crime number' by a receptionist so that you can claim on your insurance.

Some time ago I reported to the police that there were four guys getting stoned in a car at the back of my house. My concern being that these guys could drive off & kill somebody in the state they were in. Waited for an hour for the police to turn up. Nada, Not interested. Now, nasty tweets on twitter....that's where the real action is. If you really want them to come to your house, just call them and say you've been 'misgendered' they'll be around before you put the phone down.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Police as a rule do not bother to investigate domestic burgularies these days, or car theft. In fact the chances of ringing a police station & talking to an actual police officer is fairly slim (bit like the NHS in that respect).  The stock answer is to be offered a 'crime number' by a receptionist so that you can claim on your insurance.

Really? Here we have to have a police report for your insurance company to make a claim too. Someone dented my car at the mall and I didn't know who did it. The police were there in about fifteen minutes, wrote the report and checked the mall camera to get the make and model of the car that hit me.

They have been great any time I've called them.