Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Total Lunar Eclipse On Thursday

UM-Bot

If the weather cooperates, a total lunar eclipse will be seen across North America late Thursday - the first visible in the United States in three years - and just before dawn Friday in western Europe and western and southern Africa.

A lunar eclipse occurs when the Earth casts its shadow on the full moon, blocking the sunlight that otherwise reflects off the moon's surface. Unlike solar eclipses, lunar eclipses are safe to view with the naked eye.

news icon View: Source: Griffith Observatory

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UM-Bot

• Homer

• Bizarro

Top Posters In This Topic

just came inside from watching it for the past thirty mins or so. i can't see any color to it really, but its still neat to watch. took my digital camera out in the hopes of getting a nice pic but the moon is really small and city lights are drowning it out. half the neighborhood was out watching it seems, and it was kind of a social event. i had to give it up due to mosquitoes... im itchy all over sad.gif

I seen the eclipse as well. It was cloudy most of the night, but there were clearings enough so I can see it all right. It had sort of a reddish look to it at times, which was fascinating.

I know what you mean, DS, I got attacked by mosquitos too mad.gif