Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can your dog actually understand what you are saying ?

UM-Bot

Of course they understand.  Only those without an experience of the relationship would be doubting.

• Like 4

I've said this before, but it's still interesting.

Dogs are one of the few animals that have everything in the right place to be able to talk, but they don't know how to.

• Like 2

Yes they can. But I think it's the tone, the way in which a word is pronounced, they remember. Especially when the word is related to food :)

• Like 3

Five minutes of doggy conversation... 

[00.05:07]

~

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know my cat understands me. I can tell by his facial expressions and animals do have them. Maybe it's because we've been together for 9 yrs and we just know each other well but I can usually tell what he's thinking too.

• Like 3

Absolutely. The secret is in the two way communication and whether or not we  recognize the subtleties in what and how they are trying to talk to us. 

Apart from having different bark tones, my dog prefered  using what I like to call K9 - charades, subtle body movements or gestures, and he'd  want me to guess what he wanted by me questioning him it's easier than him learning the vocals and the English dictionary mind he could almost say helloooooo he always greeted me vociferously!

He would tap me with his paws and stare intently if he needed my unbegotten attention.

I ask him by saying, ' do you want something' his tongue would curl and he would make an 'ahhhhhhhh' sound meaning 'yes'. Game on.

If I asked him and the answer was 'no' he would blink both eyes closed until I got the answer right. Simple really.

I miss him greatly

Edited by taniwha
  • Like 2

My labrador could understand very complex sentences. My current two dogs, the jury is out, but they're still young.
  • Like 1

Dogs might be able to understand your words, assuming of course your dog speaks english... :)

I think its more tone, pitch, and your mannerisms, time of day, routine, all working together.. 

• Like 3

I'm not sure if dogs understand words or understand tones, but I do know that cats perfectly understand every thing said to them.... They just don't care.

• Haha 3

On 2/2/2022 at 6:36 AM, brokenbutcher2016 said:

I think its more tone, pitch, and your mannerisms, time of day, routine, all working together.. 

I agree.   They understand what they are trained to understand.  

"Wanna go out"

"Sit"

"Stay"

They do not understand:

"Did you see that airplane yesterday?"

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Myles said:

I agree.   They understand what they are trained to understand.  

"Wanna go out"

"Sit"

"Stay"

They do not understand:

"Did you see that airplane yesterday?"

Unless you trained him to :whistle:

• Like 1

On 2/2/2022 at 9:36 PM, brokenbutcher2016 said:

Dogs might be able to understand your words, assuming of course your dog speaks english... :)

I asked my dog.

She thinks I'm an idiot, she's human apparently. 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/2/2022 at 5:46 AM, UM-Bot said:

Prof Sophie Jacques takes a look at just how capable dogs are at understanding human speech.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/355059/can-your-dog-actually-understand-what-you-are-saying

When I say "Hey Jeb, can you fetch my slippers for me buddy?"  and my chocolate labrador goes and finds my slippers for me, even when I can't remember where I left them, I don't have much doubt about whether dogs can understand us.