Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Living pterosaurs


AnnaNova
 Share

Recommended Posts

I'd be interested in reading your considered thoughts about whether living pterosaurs may exist anywhere on Earth? I'd be very interested if you've looked into this and have done some research about it. Thanks.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, AnnaNova said:

I'd be interested in reading your considered thoughts about whether living pterosaurs may exist anywhere on Earth? I'd be very interested if you've looked into this and have done some research about it. Thanks.

It's extremely unlikely.  These reptiles have not been found in the fossil record for tens of millions of years. Flying creatures such as this would be spotted by birdwatchers.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A while back i read some stuff where they were hunting them on PNG but of course all they had were stories and zero supporting evidence and like said something that large flying around would simply be seen and a lot,

There are a few birds smaller of course but they do have that basic look in the sky.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know some very good birders.  They identify hawks without binoculars between 100 yards and 3 miles away. They know how they fly. They can often get down to a specie by observing how a bird flies. They at least can narrow  it down to small number of species within finches or sparrows.

If they see something that is not flying as expected, i.e. something easy for them to identify, it catches their attention.

This is why I suggest birdwatchers as a reason for no pterosaurs.

It's the same with UFOs. The people that understand what they see in the night sky are not the ones reporting UFOs. They have the knowledge and tools to identify the objects they see.

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah but but but on Google is a real one...c06fe5a88f89aca2f8f317974bc64311.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The way a bird flys is known by the birders amongst us is called the Jizz (said to be 

named by a famous birder when ask why the name he said"i dunno just is" which is corrupted to jizz) any ways when you get the hang of it its quite an easy and useful skill to have im no expert but can tell a few different bird apart i know some real experts who would be able to spot an unusul creature from a long way off

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Carnoferox said:

Here in the states, the great blue heron can take on a "pterosaur look" from a distance. The head crest of feathers can look like the bony crest of a stereotypical pterosaur like Pteranodon.

20100319-great-blue-heron-flying-c-Jim-Roetzel.thumb.webp.62fa4d5b7d30a16aaba7d87d2f4cd585.webp

Yes, my wife's favorite; we call them pterodactyls.  Yes, I know that's informal.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Carnoferox said:

Here in the states, the great blue heron can take on a "pterosaur look" from a distance. The head crest of feathers can look like the bony crest of a stereotypical pterosaur like Pteranodon.

I once saw a flock of herons fly over in a V formation similar to geese.  They were very easy to distinguish from geese.  It is the only time I have ever seen so many in a group.  I did not know they congregated like that.  There seemed to be 50 or so and the noise they made was very un-goose like.  It was uncanny.  It was in a marshy area near the McKenzie River in Oregon.  I can see where an unfamiliar person might be tempted to jump to conclusions. If I had not seen a lot of individual herons both up close and flying, it would seem pretty prehistoric.  And like so many  of the sightings people report, I was alone and caught up in  the moment.  I never thought about taking out my phone for a picture.

It may not have been mysterious, but it was wonderful.

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember an episode on the History Chamel by the name Birdzila. It was very interesting. Of particular interest were a footage of some not identified large birds taken in the Illinois.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jethrofloyd said:

I remember an episode on the History Chamel by the name Birdzila. It was very interesting. Of particular interest were a footage of some not identified large birds taken in the Illinois.

SortofHistory Channel.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, jethrofloyd said:

I remember an episode on the History Chamel by the name Birdzila. It was very interesting. Of particular interest were a footage of some not identified large birds taken in the Illinois.

I know that episode and a couple "bird" experts did identify the old film footage, one was adamant,

That episode also has marlon lowe claming a bird tried to carry him off as a child, problem with his tale if you read 25 accounts of it on the net all 25 vary a bit

I believe he saw a bird it might have even sooped at him then he made up the story and his mom went along .

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This seems like one of the least likely cryptids.  

Being able to fly removes all boundaries.  It would be seen often.  

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Myles said:

This seems like one of the least likely cryptids.  

Being able to fly removes all boundaries.  It would be seen often.  

It cant fly but i always looked at the stories of Mokele Mbembe ( spelling ? ) that way a beast that big cant really hide, doesnt need to so wouldnt be hard to find if it existed.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Myles said:

This seems like one of the least likely cryptids.  

Being able to fly removes all boundaries.  It would be seen often.  

Not to mention someone with a 12 gauge blasting it out of the sky.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/2/2022 at 7:14 PM, jethrofloyd said:

I remember an episode on the History Chamel by the name Birdzila. It was very interesting. Of particular interest were a footage of some not identified large birds taken in the Illinois.

This one?

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Abramelin said:

This one?

 

Yes, believe  it's the episode I watched. Thanks for sharing it.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/3/2022 at 8:13 AM, the13bats said:

It cant fly but i always looked at the stories of Mokele Mbembe ( spelling ? ) that way a beast that big cant really hide, doesnt need to so wouldnt be hard to find if it existed.

I held out hopes for Mokele Mbembe because of the remoteness of the Congo River Basin, but my hopes were dashed when I read Redmond O’Hanlon’s book, ‘No Mercy’. O’Hanlon’s descriptions of the tribal people who live in Zimbabwe and the dangers he encountered on his trek through the jungle make for a great modern-day adventure story. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, simplybill said:

I held out hopes for Mokele Mbembe because of the remoteness of the Congo River Basin, but my hopes were dashed when I read Redmond O’Hanlon’s book, ‘No Mercy’. O’Hanlon’s descriptions of the tribal people who live in Zimbabwe and the dangers he encountered on his trek through the jungle make for a great modern-day adventure story. 

I once heard a cryptozoology writer suggest perhaps mokele mbembe was a long neck very large aquatic monitor lizard, not as big as the native people claimed but large. I support that possibility,

When i look such cases for example indigenous people and monks always said yeti was type if bear, the few who said no, it wasnt a bear were being lead by those who wanted that, in addition in some cases they didnt have the fine line if demarcation between fact reality and fantasy spiritual the west has, so i always consided yeti was a bear its it been proven to me with DNA.

Now with mokele its a bit diffent these people insitst its real not make believe some do fear it i do believe the tales are based on some creature what that creature is i do not know.

And i cant explain why there is zero physical evidence.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, the13bats said:

I once heard a cryptozoology writer suggest perhaps mokele mbembe was a long neck very large aquatic monitor lizard, not as big as the native people claimed but large. I support that possibility,

When i look such cases for example indigenous people and monks always said yeti was type if bear, the few who said no, it wasnt a bear were being lead by those who wanted that, in addition in some cases they didnt have the fine line if demarcation between fact reality and fantasy spiritual the west has, so i always consided yeti was a bear its it been proven to me with DNA.

Now with mokele its a bit diffent these people insitst its real not make believe some do fear it i do believe the tales are based on some creature what that creature is i do not know.

And i cant explain why there is zero physical evidence.

People are quick to have an opinion on places they have never been... Most of the indigenous people live on the river system, not in land. I spent many months in the Congo and on some days, we would make a few hundred yards thrashing our way through the dense jungle, never saw a single person in land, never saw any trace of anyone ever bei9ng there. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Uncle Yammy said:

People are quick to have an opinion on places they have never been... Most of the indigenous people live on the river system, not in land. I spent many months in the Congo and on some days, we would make a few hundred yards thrashing our way through the dense jungle, never saw a single person in land, never saw any trace of anyone ever bei9ng there. 

Sure there are arm chair skeptics but with the internet its not as big a handicap any more to still do reliable research, no doubt we will never find ever living creature on this planet but i believe we will be finding small to tiny creatures the larger ones have pretty well been mapped out with the exception being our seas likely some cool and large beasties are still in the depths.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For the 'living pterosaurus'(Ropen) sightings, the most likely cause is Frigatebird. Their appearance, and a shape of the wings can really deceive that it is in fact a living pterosaur.

Christmas Frigatebird – Singapore Birds Project

 

 
 
 
 
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.