Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is having a favourite child really a bad thing?

Eldorado

“Not every parent has a favourite child, but many do,” says Jessica Griffin, an associate professor of psychiatry and paediatrics at the University of Massachusetts Medical School, US. “Data suggests that mothers, in particular, show favouritism to children who have similar values to them and that engage more with family, over qualities such as being highly ambitious or career driven.”

Regardless of the reason, some research shows many parents almost certainly do have favourites – whether they admit to it or not. In one study, up to 74% of mothers and 70% of fathers in the UK have been shown to exhibit preferential treatment towards one child.

Yet for most, the topic remains off-limits.

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20220119-is-having-a-favourite-child-really-a-bad-thing?

• Like 4

OF COURSE IT'S A BAD THING!!! Jeez! That's why the majority of parents work so hard to keep it a secret.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I do. #0.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

it is no secret that my parents have favorites... and I am not one of them and it shows. Does it bother me... not really but i can see that it would for peope with certain mindsets and character. 

Do i have favorites... i can honeslty say that i do not. I understand and truly know my children and know that they both have strengths and weaknesses but i surely do not judge how i feel about them based on those. They are my boys and i love them both dearly even though they are as different as night and day. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 3/2/2022 at 10:40 PM, Overdueleaf said:

it is no secret that my parents have favorites... and I am not one of them and it shows. Does it bother me... not really

Im not at all poking but "not really" isnt no, and im sorry it sucks.

i was an only child born late in life the first year my odd mother was over protective and then wouldnt have much to do with me, it effected me.

My step family didnt like me they didnt accept me they only tolerated me because of my father who they all loved but drained,

My dad in turn placed them my step mothers children/family  who were older than me with their own kids ahead of me,  it hurt it still hurts but dads gone and even after all the step families lip service after dad passed i didnt hear from them not once unless i made the contact.

I am thankful my mom and her mom not my dad rasied me but in my case knowing i wasnt a "favorite" or even runner up did and does bother me, some of us are just defective that way.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I’m sure it’s not a bad thing for the favored child.

It is hard when parents have a favourite, it makes the others feel inadequate.  And it can lead to bullying because the favourite never does wrong.   

• Haha 1