Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Wendi-go in NE Pennsylvania?

Flora.912

On June 14, 2021, I was sitting outside for a smoke because I couldn’t sleep. A good while went by before I heard a cry in the woods, high pitched and almost like a humans but it felt off. My porch is about 30 feet from the tree line and it was a bright night, you could see almost everything. The noise came again, louder than before, followed by a low rumble. Out in the trees I saw a figure move slowly and stop.

I squinted and stepped off the porch, trying to get a better look. The figure moved a little and I could just make out two big horns coming out of a large thin, almost skull like head and looked like it had fur on its shoulders, like a mane. It looked to be about 6 or so feet tall with long legs. I was so scared and quickly ran inside, locking the doors and shutting all the blinds. I haven’t been able to sleep for weeks after.

I just discovered this forum and wanted to share what I saw, was it really a Wendi-go? Has anyone else seen anything like this?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Flora.912 said:

On June 14, 2021, I was sitting outside for a smoke because I couldn’t sleep. A good while went by before I heard a cry in the woods, high pitched and almost like a humans but it felt off. My porch is about 30 feet from the tree line and it was a bright night, you could see almost everything. The noise came again, louder than before, followed by a low rumble. Out in the trees I saw a figure move slowly and stop.

I squinted and stepped off the porch, trying to get a better look. The figure moved a little and I could just make out two big horns coming out of a large thin, almost skull like head and looked like it had fur on its shoulders, like a mane. It looked to be about 6 or so feet tall with long legs. I was so scared and quickly ran inside, locking the doors and shutting all the blinds. I haven’t been able to sleep for weeks after.

I just discovered this forum and wanted to share what I saw, was it really a Wendi-go? Has anyone else seen anything like this?

Well welcome to Unexplained Mysteries Forum, I believe your going to get some very interesting responses to your thread. The forum has a mixed bag of believers and none believers so don’t allow the comments some people make bother you, just let them slide off your back!

Again welcome and be well!

Well from what I understand, Wendigo's don't have antlers, but movies and shows and stuff added the antlers , so I don't believe it was a Wendigo, but I have heard alot of stories of deer people. Have you seen anything else like that?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

41 minutes ago, Chronus said:

Well from what I understand, Wendigo's don't have antlers, but movies and shows and stuff added the antlers , so I don't believe it was a Wendigo, but I have heard alot of stories of deer people. Have you seen anything else like that?

I haven’t heard of them, this experience was the only one I’ve had. Could it be one of them possibly? 

Have you tried searching the internet for 'Wendigo' and seeing the type of images associated with the creature? How well do they match? Also, I tend to believe there are a lot of temporary paranormal creatures also in existence so who knows.

How sure do you feel that you indeed saw a creature out of the ordinary?

• Haha 1

Going off what @Piney has taught me. The wendigo is an native american story that's meant to warn against wondering off in the winter and out of the fear of cannibalism. Basically don't be a selfish idiot in winter. You might lose your mind and eat other people. So no "evil force" other than human nature.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

39 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Probably a sick or starving deer. 

Chronic wasting disease are making deer looking like emaciated walking carcass...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, Flora.912 said:

I haven’t heard of them, this experience was the only one I’ve had. Could it be one of them possibly? 

Its possible

• Like 1

5 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

Have you tried searching the internet for 'Wendigo' and seeing the type of images associated with the creature? How well do they match? Also, I tend to believe there are a lot of temporary paranormal creatures also in existence so who knows.

How sure do you feel that you indeed saw a creature out of the ordinary?

I’m not completely certain what it was, I researched what I saw and wendigo was the most common answer so that’s what I’ve been calling it. 

• Confused 1

Most likely a Bobcat/Lynx skulking in the trees, and your mind filling in what you were visually lacking rather than myth as reality. 

• Like 3

Wendigo are not real they are myth, deer are real and proven so ill go with you saw a weird deer, i got unnerved by a odd deer once.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...

On 2/11/2022 at 12:03 PM, XenoFish said:

Going off what @Piney has taught me. The wendigo is an native american story that's meant to warn against wondering off in the winter and out of the fear of cannibalism. Basically don't be a selfish idiot in winter. You might lose your mind and eat other people. So no "evil force" other than human nature.

A warning about prions disease from eating human meat. Some Northern tribes of Algonquians qalso had a "contrary (clown) society" in which members portrayed them showing people how they shouldn't act.

Algonquins didn't practice cannibalism. Siouians and Iroquoians did. We considered them savages for eating folks.  Archeology has shown we wiped out a group of Cahokia refugees for the practice on us. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

@Flora.912

From the perspective of "If wendigo exist" can this be one?
Not... really no.
First up Wendigo don't have antlers.
Secondly, if it was a Wendigo and you saw it... you would not be telling us about it....

• Like 3

Antlers, fur... I'll go with deer here. The noise? My house is surrounded by old growth forest on all sides except a bit on the north where there is a street and some other houses. We have Barred Owls, Coyotes and a bunch of other critters out there, but I hear the craziest noises many times, especially at night. One time I called my wife to listen because it sounded exactly like a woman screaming over and over. No idea what it was...

Edited by Hyperionxvii
  • Like 1

Wendigos don't have antlers. However have been known to wear the skull with antlers as almost like a mask. Why could be for various reasons. Hunting is usually one of them. They stay hungry. And do very much exist. However I can assure you this. If it sees you. It will not walk away. It will come after you. So going inside was the best thing you could have done. They are found around the world. Also known as Vatala. Very likely where the vampire legend came from. They are one of many species of life not bound to the Laws of Physics. But rather the Laws of Quantum Physics. Making them hard to find. Until in a vulnerable state. Mainly found in the north. Canada and Northern states. However they in recent years have been sighted as low as Pennslyvania. As they are growing in numbers. Sometimes mistaken for aliens.

• Haha 2

On 2/11/2022 at 7:15 AM, Manwon Lender said:

Well welcome to Unexplained Mysteries Forum, I believe your going to get some very interesting responses to your thread. The forum has a mixed bag of believers and none believers so don’t allow the comments some people make bother you, just let them slide off your back!

Again welcome and be well!

Please tell me where in NE Pa this was. I am truly interested as I hunt such things. And I also am from Pa.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2022 at 5:20 AM, Chronus said:

Sounds more like an elk to me.

• Like 2

On 4/19/2022 at 12:54 PM, OZ The Overseer said:

Wendigos don't have antlers. However have been known to wear the skull with antlers as almost like a mask. Why could be for various reasons. Hunting is usually one of them. They stay hungry. And do very much exist. However I can assure you this. If it sees you. It will not walk away. It will come after you. So going inside was the best thing you could have done. They are found around the world. Also known as Vatala. Very likely where the vampire legend came from. They are one of many species of life not bound to the Laws of Physics. But rather the Laws of Quantum Physics. Making them hard to find. Until in a vulnerable state. Mainly found in the north. Canada and Northern states. However they in recent years have been sighted as low as Pennslyvania. As they are growing in numbers. Sometimes mistaken for aliens.

I disagree there a bit. North American wendigos as a spirit tends to possess the living and has no benefit to humans. Hindu vetala as a spirit tends to possess the dead and can be beneficial to humans as well as harmful. Old European vampire lore has dead humans as undead, they aren't possessed. Different places and times with lores created independently from each other. However, the modern vampire lore that was borne of Stokers Dracula was heavily influenced by the writings of the Vetala Panchvimshati. Stoker was quite a fan of the work. Much like how fiction has reworked a lot of the old vampire lore into new Dracula lore with multicultural influences.... Hollywood and fictional depictions have reworked a spirit and a warning of wendigo into a big creepy guy with horns. 

There is also deerman. Guy with deer horns. This is a fairly new addition to the cryptid family, and likely modernized versions of the Intuit ijiraq (caribou shape shifter tends to kidnap kids) or maybe the Okanagan Sonnie-appoo- that's more of a demon than cryptid, and can have wings so might not really fit the OP story. 

• Thanks 1

And sorry to double post, but wanted to add a bit more. 

A bit more serious to note is the Arikara tribe. They were real humans, and really had a habit of wearing horns as part of their headgear. But probably some lore to pass down and mutate over a bit from another part of North America than I previously mentioned with cryptids. Here's a bit on that: https://www.legendsofamerica.com/na-arikara/

Another horned human contender kicking it around in the U.S.. Goatman. Like deerman, likely a hand me down from other legends. Of particular Greek satyr kinds of legends carried over from the old world much like werewolves got carried over. Witches, and a lot of devils footprints in the snow and dancing in the halls mutations forward. 

And it would be rather remiss of me not to point out a somewhat obvious one. Lord of the Hunt. Wee folk. Almost straight up from old lore to modern lore. Sometimes represented with horns on the Greenman, or represented as the old stag of winter. Even though that folklore has fallen to the side a lot in favor of other lores, it has and does influence a lot of modern concepts with cryptids. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Not to sound skeptical, but is there any chance this was some type of deer or antelope?  Some of them do make some odd sounds, especially in mating season.  I'd recommend looking up what's in your area, and searching for videos of the sounds they can make, and an assortment of photos.  At the least, you could eliminate one as a possibility, and at best, perhaps discover that's the culprit, and not worry so much.  I am not saying that it wasn't something unusual, but I'd definitely check into other explanations first.  A large deer can be dangerous, too, so feeling fearful would make sense.